Menu

what's a good standardized test?

ANY standardized test accepted?

In that case: for a high schooler, I would go with the ACT or SAT. That's something they need to take anyway.

It also depends on what you are doing it for and what exactly is required.

Some states won't accept the SAT since it is not the knowledge based Norm, I think that is the right terminology.

So double check that issue.

And it depends on what you need/want. do you just need to satisfy the state or do you want it for other things-college acceptance, having the child take the SAT /ACT for "practice", Would you be okay with doing the "killing of 2 birds with one stone".

And I'm in the same boat our coop had always done the Stanford 10, but the cheap way to get it is gone so now we are trying to make decisions. I'm still weighing options of which I still need to talk to dh about it.

If you decide to go the SAT/ACT route, another factor to consider is whether those scores will have to be reported to the colleges during the application process.

For example, I have read that some colleges require all SAT scores taken during the high school years be submitted, but the student can send just the top ACT score. (Princeton is the only school that I have come across that also requires all ACT scores to be sent).

Once my kids reach high school, they will/are using the ACT to satisfy our state's homeschooling requirements just in case they perform poorly in 9th or 10th grade, they won't have to report the scores to the colleges.

A mother (in one of the NYS Yahoo forums I belong to) sends in the same ACT test score each year. Her daughter originally took the test in 8th or 9th grade. Her district accepts it because the student is already scoring above the level required of high school seniors,so, according to her, there is no more progress necessary to document.

The ACT compares all test takers to high school seniors, so it works for her district. She said since the SATs compare the tester to high school sophomores or juniors or seniors, whichever is appropriate to the age of the tester, she would need to retest every year using the SAT.

I feel lucky that my district allows the yearly SAT....

If you decide to go the SAT/ACT route, another factor to consider is whether those scores will have to be reported to the colleges during the application process.

For example, I have read that some colleges require all SAT scores taken during the high school years be submitted, but the student can send just the top ACT score. (Princeton is the only school that I have come across that also requires all ACT scores to be sent).

Once my kids reach high school, they will/are using the ACT to satisfy our state's homeschooling requirements just in case they perform poorly in 9th or 10th grade, they won't have to report the scores to the colleges.

Great idea!