Menu

Charlotte Mason Users

Nicholas_mom

I am thinking of switching curriculum and I recently started reading all Charlotte Mason and all the posts that show up on this forum.

So, I have checked out all recommended sites such as: Higher Up, AO, Simple Charlotte.

Is there a message board like this one WTM that caters only to CMers? Is it ok to post questions about CM here?

Let me know if I can start asking questions about CM curriculum and what you are doing because my mind is racing with all the wonderful ideas coming from reading CM. :)

Ambleside has yahoo groups you can join. They are listed somewhere on the AO website.

Yes, I just joined. It seems its more for interpreting CM AO stuff? It moves slow and I don't readily see movement of posts about the nitty gritty stuff.

Oh yes, there are many CMers here! Ask away. :001_smile:

Thank you! I want to incorporate the nature study this Spring. Ds is 8.5 yrs old and we have done many, many walks in the nature, sometimes daily sometimes weekly over the years.

So, I understand the being nature part but actually sitting down and drawing in nature we haven't done. What kind of water brush do you use with what kind of paper? I usually use the "Strathmore" Series brand of paper from the art supply store. What KIND of paper do I get for the water brush: watercolor paper? But if I buy a journal for water color paper, it is kinda difficult to use if the child decides he wants to use colored pencils. Can drawing paper be used for water paint brush?

If you introduced the concept of painting in nature? Just let's take a walk and see where we would like to sit and draw something in nature? Is it as simple as this :confused:

...Thank you! I want to incorporate the nature study this Spring. Ds is 8.5 yrs old and we have done many, many walks in the nature, sometimes daily sometimes weekly over the years.

So, I understand the being nature part but actually sitting down and drawing in nature we haven't done. What kind of water brush do you use with what kind of paper? I usually use the "Strathmore" Series brand of paper from the art supply store. What KIND of paper do I get for the water brush: watercolor paper? But if I buy a journal for water color paper, it is kinda difficult to use if the child decides he wants to use colored pencils. Can drawing paper be used for water paint brush?

I would probably start sketching with colored pencils. Sometimes just getting started is the most difficult part. I would make it as easy as possible in the beginning.

...Just let's take a walk and see where we would like to sit and draw something in nature? Is it as simple as this :confused:

Yes. :001_smile: Sometimes we have a specific plan, but often it's just as you describe.

The 4real forums were what gave me the confidence to make the switch.

Thank you I will check out those forums.

I would probably start sketching with colored pencils. Sometimes just getting started is the most difficult part. I would make it as easy as possible in the beginning.

Yes, I hear you on the getting started vibe. We already do alot of colored pencil drawing and we have done wet watercolor painting, in the house not outside, mind you. So, I thought I would entice my ds with a new thing with brush painting, but at the same time, he loves detail work that colored pencils let you do.

So, with brush painting can you do detail work or is it like more like a thick paint brush?

I don't really know WHAT brush watercolor painting is? Maybe I should start there :lol: What is your nature walk like with brush painting?

As far as forums go, this is the best educational forum I have seen. There are many here who are knowledgeable on CM as well, and CM is not entirely different from classical, especially in the later years.

Welcome! I vote for reviving the Following Charlotte social group (right on this forum). Anyone interested?

I agree about starting with colored pencils, unless your child is particularly artistic and has used brushes alot.

We tend to do the walk, looking for something interesting and then either take a picture to work from, or bring home a specimen, if the object/plant is not at risk/endangered. We have also caught insects and later returned them. I found that at the ages mine are, it was much easier to focus when they were seated around a table with the object in front of them, rather than in outside in all the distracting glory of nature. :D

Linda Fay has some wonderful articles on nature study, with examples of her kids' work. She used a variety of paper and notebooks. Sometimes just notebook paper.

This is a very helpful blog.

The whole idea of nature study is to develop an appreciation of nature and attention to detail. It can look different in every family.

Watercolor pencils are nice to. Then they can sketch in the field and come home and add water.

As far as forums go, this is the best educational forum I have seen. There are many here who are knowledgeable on CM as well, and CM is not entirely different from classical, especially in the later years.

Welcome! I vote for reviving the Following Charlotte social group (right on this forum). Anyone interested?[/QUOTE]

Yes!:thumbup:

Welcome! I vote for reviving the Following Charlotte social group (right on this forum). Anyone interested?

I am!!!

:thumbup: Me, too!

Mommyagain - thanks for the links. I will go check them out. I have been around Linda's sight but she has so many links I could very easily have missed some.

Watercolor pencils are nice to. Then they can sketch in the field and come home and add water.

ooooooooooh, watercolor pencils, what's that ?:rofl: I will look into that, thanks!

This is a very helpful blog.

:iagree: I was going to post this one too. Barb (a.k.a. Harmony Art Mom) has some great blogs! Also, I found this blog (I think from Barb) which has lots of great nature study ideas and inspirations in it.

And a couple of other fun blogs off the top of my head:

http://wildflowersandmarbles.blogspot.com/ (long-time CMer's)

http://fisheracademy.blogspot.com/ (they are outside the US and use lots of online resources like Ambleside Online)

Also, you might consider beginning Charlotte Mason's original writings on the AO website. I started reading her series soon after I had my first baby and am so glad I had a chance to read her for myself before I discovered what so many other people had to say about her. ;) I love reading what others have to say too, of course, but it was nice to have the opportunity to form my own first ideas and impressions of her before coming to the discussion table. You'll find lots of CM talk around here...welcome!

another vote here!

Amie, I'm going CRAZY over your Pinterest board!:drool5:

Thank you for sharing!!

Good! I used Pinterest to clean out the saved link "favorites" on my computer (and still it fills back up...). I also picked up quite a bit more from some of the ladies here (I think half the people I follow are on this board!). There are some great blogs linked in there--too much to pin. ;)

Edited by Amie

I don't know what this is, but it sounds good to me.

On the top there is a Community section with a downward arrow. If you are subscribed to any social groups, you'll see them. If you're not, I believe you go to User Control CP and pick Following Charlotte. It's been so long, I don't quite remember.

See you all there! :)

Water color colored pencils are a good choice, too. You can use those when you're out and about, and then you can wash over them with a wet brush when you return home. So much easier than carrying around paint supplies outside.

Dd8 also loves oil pastels. They're easy to blend and mix, and if you spray over the drawing with a cheap hairspray, the artwork lasts w/o smudging.