Menu

Dad teaches daughter a lesson on Facebook.

Simka, you and your psychologist are both clearly mentally unstable. Didn't either of you ever hear of punching a pillow? Or blowing soap bubbles?

:lol:

And you better not even think about violently ripping up a piece of paper or wadding it up and throwing it away!

Ok, serious question...

Is it that he shot the laptop that's the serious bone of contention? If he had taken a hammer to it, or run it over w/his truck (he's in Texas, I'll stereotype and think he has a truck to go w/the gun and hat :tongue_smilie:) would ppl be all freaked out? It would still be destroyed...

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well...of course it's possible, but I don't think it's probable.

I suppose time will tell which it was, or again the truth may fall somewhere in the middle, as I'm sure we haven't heard the last of this. I wonder if the school responded in any way to this? It has to be the talk of the school, but maybe in that area/culture it's more "acceptable"? I don't know. Even if she's grounded and not on the internet, I'm sure she's talking with her friends at school, and they'll be chatting on FB and all.

Well, I think this somes up my feelings. It just showed up in my Facebook feed. http://redtape.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/02/10/10375389-executing-your-teens-laptop-might-feel-good-but-its-a-bad-idea-experts-say

Apparently I'm NOT the only one who thinks this dude is crazy.

Why would you characterize him as a psycho (as you did in an earlier post)? Really, he appeared very calm, the firearms usage was safe....psychos kill people nothing that he did would indicate psychopathic behavior.

As to not being the only one, you are right you are not the only one but that does not mean that you are correct in your assessment of the father.

I think his behavior was planned, and intended to make a point. He did so and I thing the better of him for his actions.

Ok, serious question...

Is it that he shot the laptop that's the serious bone of contention? If he had taken a hammer to it, or run it over w/his truck (he's in Texas, I'll stereotype and think he has a truck to go w/the gun and hat :tongue_smilie:) would ppl be all freaked out? It would still be destroyed...

For me, I think the gun is more problematic than running it over with a truck, yes.

But I wonder how people would feel if the dad stabbed the computer with a big hunting knife?

Well, I think this somes up my feelings. It just showed up in my Facebook feed. http://redtape.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/02/10/10375389-executing-your-teens-laptop-might-feel-good-but-its-a-bad-idea-experts-say

Apparently I'm NOT the only one who thinks this dude is crazy.

I am not disagreeing, but the "What Experts Say" already left me leaving.

It's fantastic when families communicate well, use "I" statements etc. It's wonderful and effective for some folks. I have no dog in this fight.

I've known so many families, so many philosophies. It's fab when it all works out.

I also know families whose children needed more. I don't know what that more is/could have been. But I do know gentle, non- combative familes with a solid income, superior health and education, who have lost children to the world. One of the most amazing families I know (loving, thoughtful, gentle, both with PhDs even, who made sure to care for their children without 'insitutions') had a child turn into a crack head.

You just do not know and you cannot be smug. Until you are the parent of adults, you simply do not know if a child might stray/be in need. I am thinking, "Maybe if if D's dad had taken a gun to his computer earlier, he might still have a brain that works, and not still be the crackhead he is, while his parents wait for the call from the policeto say he's dead."

We too often think there is one way to raise a child to our hopes. There is not.

There is not one perfect formula to have the kid you planned.

Edited by LibraryLover

Why would you characterize him as a psycho (as you did in an earlier post)? Really, he appeared very calm, the firearms usage was safe....psychos kill people nothing that he did would indicate psychopathic behavior.

As to not being the only one, you are right you are not the only one but that does not mean that you are correct in your assessment of the father.

I think his behavior was planned, and intended to make a point. He did so and I thing the better of him for his actions.

He didn't appear calm to me at all. He looked spitting mad.

For me, I think the gun is more problematic than running it over with a truck, yes.

But I wonder how people would feel if the dad stabbed the computer with a big hunting knife?

A gun is a tool, had he used a knife, a bat, a large frozen marshmallow or a fluffy pink pig what would the difference have been? (Yes the visual of battering a computer with a marshmallow may have been rather funny).

Ok, serious question...

Honestly, I was expecting a hammer, an axe, a truck, a tractor or even a backhoe - not a 45. I wondered why he was shooting only the middle area ... Yeah any of those would have felt different. Maybe same end result, but different method. Still wouldn't have been the best way to handle it all, but not quite as bad as shooting it.

Well, my mother was stabbed with a large hunting knife. If I look at it through that lens...horrific. I have wonderful friends who hunt and would use that knife as a tool or to protect their family from anything that threatened them..in that light...forceful and protective.

It really depends on what personal interpretation you have about the item in question.

added: here in Texas, I do see guns as protective. We have lots of poisonous snakes and feral dogs, not to mention coyotes, mountain lions and various other dangerous animals.

Edited by simka2

I wouldn't have done what he did, nor would my dh, but I'm guessing he got his point across loud and clear. We don't air family problems publicly, even if our children do, and there's no way we would destroy a perfectly good computer, but you can be sure our dd wouldn't have a computer in her possession for a very, very long time after that outburst. He's not psycho. Angry, yes, but controlled. Sounds like he'd been pushed to the limit. Not the best way to act but there's far worse that goes on.

That was spitting mad? Really?

From the male perspective he was NOT spitting mad. He was angry but spitting mad is a wholly different level and still does NOT reach the level of psychopathic behavior.

There are times in every man's life when he gets spitting mad but NOT psychopathic.

I agree. It looked like he was using every last muscle to contain his anger - I think he was trying to come across as in control but was doing that all still in the heat of the moment, although I'm sure the heat was more intense when he first came across his dog's FB page.

Well, my mother was stabbed with a large hunting knife. If I look at it through that lens...horrific. I have wonderful friends who hunt and would use that knife as a tool or to protect their family from anything that threatened them..in that light...forceful and protective.

It really depends on what personal interpretation you have about the item in question.

:grouphug::grouphug: Simka

I'm so sorry about your mother.

I know the gun crowd is going to say, "It's the person holding the gun, NOT the gun."

And to some extent I agree. I think we have 13 guns in the house and DH is so non-violent that he would never hunt even a duck.

But I can't help but think of this mental image... Trick or Treating a few years ago in our little redneck town, I saw a father carrying a baseball bat as part of his costume. No problem for me. No fear. No clenching in my tummy.

Half an hour later, we ended up in line with a man semi-openly carrying a 45. It felt icky and we have a couple of 45s in the basement. I can't fire them myself because they drive me nuts but I've held them. But out in the open where I wasn't expecting it... it was creepy. And I couldn't help but wonder what the heck was going on in the guy's head that he needed protection in our one gas station, one pizza shop town. And I was very uncomfortable having my kids around him. We went out of our way to avoid the guy the rest of the night.

Honestly' date=' I was expecting a hammer, an axe, a truck, a tractor or even a backhoe - not a 45. I wondered why he was shooting only the middle area ... Yeah any of those would have felt different. Maybe same end result, but different method. Still wouldn't have been the best way to handle it all, but not quite as bad as shooting it.[/quote']

Interesting. Seriously, I do find it interesting.

So, it's not the destruction of the lap top, it's that a firearm was involved. Hmmm.

Interesting. Seriously, I do find it interesting.

So, it's not the destruction of the lap top, it's that a firearm was involved. Hmmm.

I find this interesting too!! :001_smile:

Although I do also think he would have showed more mature judgment had he donated the laptop to a worthy cause. I get that he felt he needed the shock value of destroying the laptop but this is one of those things that if Buddha were a father today, he would simply not do.

I can see how this could be considered threatening I suppose, but at no point did he actually threaten her. And I doubt the daughter felt threatened at all. I think the message was supposed to be "i'd rather lose the money than have you misuse this thing like that." And I don't see how that compares to beating a child.

:iagree:

I agree. And really, shooting the laptop is violent? You must not live in the south or have grown up around guns. Premeditated? Yes. Violent? no.

Especially with the bolded above, only it isn't just teenagers.

True. I was recently given the middle finger by a preschooler. :glare:

This makes sense, and I do see it coming very close to a line I would not be willing to cross. I think though, since she is a minor, he is destroying his own property?

Here in the South, especially ranching/farming culture, I have seen these types of interactions. Like I said earlier, they used to wig me out a bit. Then I actually watched quite a few of these 12, 13, 14, and 15 yr olds grow into 16, 17, 18 and 19 years olds. The transformation is amazing. Girls who I thought would become damaged runaways, are leaders in their FFA chapters and heading to the National Young Farmer/Rancher conference thingy ;)

I guess I have just been humbled a bit. Watching these parents I thought were way over the top, turn out kids that love and respect them. They can fight like the dixkens, but don't you dare come between them .

It is a very interesting discussion.

The bolded is a perfect description of my DH and his sisters. In fact, our last name is well known around here for the sheer fact that EVERYONE seems to know that if you mess with one, you mess with ALL.

I thought he appeared only mildly agitated and I grew up in a home with an ACTUAL psychopath who tried to kill me in my sleep when I was 5.

It's funny because as I type, our local news is talking about this. lol. He is actually from here in NC.

:grouphug::grouphug: Simka

I'm so sorry about your mother.

I know the gun crowd is going to say, "It's the person holding the gun, NOT the gun."

And to some extent I agree. I think we have 13 guns in the house and DH is so non-violent that he would never hunt even a duck.

But I can't help but think of this mental image... Trick or Treating a few years ago in our little redneck town, I saw a father carrying a baseball bat as part of his costume. No problem for me. No fear. No clenching in my tummy.

Half an hour later, we ended up in line with a man semi-openly carrying a 45. It felt icky and we have a couple of 45s in the basement. I can't fire them myself because they drive me nuts but I've held them. But out in the open where I wasn't expecting it... it was creepy. And I couldn't help but wonder what the heck was going on in the guy's head that he needed protection in our one gas station, one pizza shop town. And I was very uncomfortable having my kids around him. We went out of our way to avoid the guy the rest of the night.

I understand. We all come at things a little differently no matter what. My "adoptive" Dad was a special forces Marine. Sometimes after church we would go to the shooting range in his basement. At church I always knew he was carrying. For me it was a comfort at that time, because I was being harassed/stalked by another person. I knew he would protect me.

At this same time I would go into a panic attack at the thought of reading my Bible. The Sr. Pastor once said, "The Bible, like a hammer, is a good tool. Even a good tool can be used as a murder weapon."

Anyway, this is off topic. It is interesting to see how people come at things differently. ;)

I agree. It looked like he was using every last muscle to contain his anger - I think he was trying to come across as in control but was doing that all still in the heat of the moment' date=' although I'm sure the heat was more intense when he first came across his dog's FB page.[/quote']

He has a stutter.

Simka is perfectly level headed.

There is a huge difference between target practice and destruction of personal property with a gun as a form of punishment.

In many states, someone who "merely" causes property damage of family member is charged with domestic violence in addition to the lesser crime of the property damage itself--in exactly the same way as they are charged with domestic violence in addition to assault if they hit their partner.

That is because there is such a high correlation between people who direct their violence towards objects and people who direct violence towards people and violence towards personal belongings is a type of intimidation. Several state statutes contain this specific provision in their domestic violence laws. Adults may be prosecuted under domestic violence laws for destroying jointly owned property. It's all part of the same nasty ball of wax.

I stand by what I said: the man's act was violent.

The man owned the computer. I don't care if it was her computer, legally he bought, owned it and had the right to destroy it if he wished.

I stand by what I said: the man's act was violent.

I rate it as intimidating, but at the same time, being from the south in a pro-gun family, it is very different in this culture. That is on par with putting down a farm animal who has gotten sick or shooting coyotes to protect the animals. This time it was an inanimate object that was causing harm to the family. If he had done it in her presence, I'd agree with you that it was going too far.

What can I say? I shot a Compaq desktop because the motherboard was crap and it gave me nothing but trouble. I couldn't sell it in good faith, so I took it to the range and sighted in my .357 snub nose. It felt good to put the carp down. I would have shot my old Alienware laptop, but they replaced it under lemon law and I had to send it in.

So no one else has ever line up old computers and shot them for target practice? You all are missing out.

Nope! Up here we recycle our old computers!

However, the mini Heineken metal beer kegs that everyone in my family drinks do all end up in my backyard for target practice.

And then I recycle those too... And they look rather silly all shot up in the recycling bin. :D

Why would they? What business is it of their's?

Well if it hadn't been made public, it probably would never would have been an issue unless the daughter brought it up to a counselor, which is probably highly unlikely, but from what's in the news - I would think this would be addressed by a school counselor. I may be totally wrong.

So no one else has ever line up old computers and shot them for target practice? You all are missing out.

I don't have a gun.

If I did, there's a tower in the basement that would be turned into a sieve once I get what I need off of it...which means repairing the stoopid thing first...:glare:

I can't satisfactorily beat the carp out of it one handed. And it just wouldn't be the same getting Wolf to do it for me! :lol:

Well, for whatever it is worth, the dad seems like a pretty decent guy. On his FB page he talks about trying to raise money for MDA. Pre Viral (his words, pretty funny!) he raised $320 in one month. Post Viral, he has raised $3,050 in only two days!

I have a feeling that he did what he did with the best of intentions. It seems that he is using his "5 minutes of fame" for good and refusing to go on the talk shows and such. I think he is earning my respect!

Nope! Up here we recycle our old computers!

However, the mini Heineken metal beer kegs that everyone in my family drinks do all end up in my backyard for target practice.

And then I recycle those too... And they look rather silly all shot up in the recycling bin. :D

We recycle after we shoot them too. Oooh, a mini keg for target practice. That is such a great idea!

I don't have a gun.

If I did, there's a tower in the basement that would be turned into a sieve once I get what I need off of it...which means repairing the stoopid thing first...:glare:

I can't satisfactorily beat the carp out of it one handed. And it just wouldn't be the same getting Wolf to do it for me! :lol:

I bet you could borrow one!

Interesting discussion.

Do you think this guy thought for a minute that his video would go viral like this? Warning to us all . . . when it's on the Internet, it is ON THE INTERNET. For anyone and everyone to dissect forever and ever.

Q: Why did y...ou decide to reprimand your daughter over a public medium like YouTube?

A: Well, I actually just had to load the video file itself on YouTube because it’s a better upload process than Facebook, but the intended audience was her Facebook friends and the parents of those friends who saw her post and would naturally assume we let our children get away with something like that. So, to answer “Why did you reprimand her over a public medium like Facebook†my answer is this: Because that’s how I was raised. If I did something embarrassing to my parents in public (such as a grocery store) I got my tail tore up right there in front of God and everyone, right there in the store. I put the reprisal in exactly the same medium she did, in the exact same manner. Her post went out to about 452 people. Mine went out to about 550 people… originally. I had no idea it would become what it did.

From his response page.

I bet you could borrow one!

I'm in Canada. Chances are, nope.

Other than my brother, who's a police officer (and in another province) I don't know anyone that owns a hand gun.

Wolf's buddy hunts, and has a rifle, but no way I could handle a rifle one handed :lol:

I'm in Canada. Chances are, nope.

Other than my brother, who's a police officer (and in another province) I don't know anyone that owns a hand gun.

Wolf's buddy hunts, and has a rifle, but no way I could handle a rifle one handed :lol:

True. Most people I know own rifles and handguns. I guess we just crossed moving to Canada off our list. :D

It is. I guess towers are a thing of the past though.

That was Impish who had it out for her tower. I'd only use ones which are no longer working as I couldn't imagine destroying something that someone else could use. So many families would have been so grateful for that laptop ...

I see towers used at lots of libraries.

Well, for whatever it is worth, the dad seems like a pretty decent guy. On his FB page he talks about trying to raise money for MDA. Pre Viral (his words, pretty funny!) he raised $320 in one month. Post Viral, he has raised $3,050 in only two days!

I have a feeling that he did what he did with the best of intentions. It seems that he is using his "5 minutes of fame" for good and refusing to go on the talk shows and such. I think he is earning my respect!

Another score, my dad had MD. Took him from us way to soon! I really like this guy now.

I didn't pick up on that. But it wasn't just in his voice' date=' it was the way he moved - his facial muscles - lots of things that I'm probably not able to put a finger on specifically. Would be interesting to hear a critique by an expert in body language.[/quote']

It might be that he has Md...isn't that what he's been raising money for?

OK, I have to ask a question. There has been a bit of a running theme here that suggests that if you're from the South or grew up around guns, that a guy shooting a laptop wouldn't be viewed as a big deal. Is that really true?

Here's the thing -- my dh and I grew up in New York City and New Jersey, and my family had guns in the house, but neither my dh nor I have ever heard of someone getting mad at their computer or their TV or some other inanimate object... and shooting it. Never. Ever.

And if anyone did do something like that in our town, they would be arrested. Period. People aren't allowed to go to the field out back and fire off a weapon.

Honestly, I don't care one way or the other about the laptop thing; I'm just wondering if there really are places where it would be viewed as normal to do what the father did, because if we found out that one of our friends or neighbors shot their kid's computer, we would think he was some kind of nut.

I'm sorry if I sound judgmental, but my dh may be retiring soon and lots of people are telling us to move south... And I'm thinking that if it's that acceptable to go out in the backyard and shoot stuff, it's probably not a wise move for us.

Besides, if you're going to shoot a gun where we live, you make sure the guy deserves it, and you double-check to make sure you have enough gas in the car to get you to the Pine Barrens and back. ;)

Not that I would know for sure about that.

But it's what I've heard... :D

OK, I have to ask a question. There has been a bit of a running theme here that suggests that if you're from the South or grew up around guns, that a guy shooting a laptop wouldn't be viewed as a big deal. Is that really true?

Here's the thing -- my dh and I grew up in New York City and New Jersey, and my family had guns in the house, but neither my dh nor I have ever heard of someone getting mad at their computer or their TV or some other inanimate object... and shooting it. Never. Ever.

And if anyone did do something like that in our town, they would be arrested. Period. People aren't allowed to go to the field out back and fire off a weapon.

Honestly, I don't care one way or the other about the laptop thing; I'm just wondering if there really are places where it would be viewed as normal to do what the father did, because if we found out that one of our friends or neighbors shot their kid's computer, we would think he was some kind of nut.

I'm sorry if I sound judgmental, but my dh may be retiring soon and lots of people are telling us to move south... And I'm thinking that if it's that acceptable to go out in the backyard and shoot stuff, it's probably not a wise move for us.

Besides, if you're going to shoot a gun where we live, you make sure the guy deserves it, and you double-check to make sure you have enough gas in the car to get you to the Pine Barrens and back. ;)

In parts of the town I live in, the guy would be considered nuts. In the part I live, not so much. In my family, not so much. In dh's family, ceritifiable.

I grew up in Texas (in the country) and shot skeet in my backyard. Sometimes I would do it when angry. Noone ever called the cops and if they did I can't imagine them doing anything. It could just be many are looking at this differently. I don't think it's a big deal that he shot the computer but I've been around guns and even shot them in my own yard.

I'm an adult now and don't even own a gun but that's because I don't hunt, don't live in the country, and don't feel like I need one for safety.

She took her rant to a public forum, and he replied in a public forum. She called someone the cleaning lady who in fact is not 'just' a cleaning lady but rather someone who is trading her hard work for other business. My guess is that many of this teen's friends know just who the lady is. The dad was right to correct misconception in a very public manner IMO. As well as to defend his actions and those of other family members who were disrespected in a public way. Without responding in a public way, his daughter and her misconceptions could have very much damagaed innocent reputations.

I think what the dad did was just fine. I hope he actually follows thru and makes her work to pay for her own laptop. And that she stays grounded and has to do more chores than she has so far been given.

It is a good question! ...and it does go to the difference in interpretation of this dad's actions.

In metro areas no it would not be acceptable to shoot off a gun, but out in the country (and there is a lot of country) it is really acceptable. When I was out feeding this morning a heard quite a few shoots going off. I think they are having wild hog hunts right now. I hear a huge pack of coyotes every night and morning and the kids cannot walk to the bus stop in the early morning without being driven or accompanied by someone with a firearm. My 6yr old would be coyote bait!

I need to get a new pistol as I really cannot continue to walk the property without one. I have encountered to many poisonous snakes and really do not thinking hiking with a shovel is my best option. ;) Plus, I have seen recent evidence that a group of wild hogs has moved onto our property.

Then there is the cattle. I had to call the cattle guy a few weeks ago to come put down a cow. She was in a lot of pain and I did not want her dying a slow death near the house.

A few yards beyond my shed is the makeshift archery/firing range.

This has been quite an adjustment for this liberal Seatlleite. :D

For perspective we live about 45 min from downtown Houston, but my property is one block from out tiny downtown.

Edited by simka2