Menu

Dad teaches daughter a lesson on Facebook.

The question I want to know is... why did she put all this out on her facebook? Does she have a vendetta against her father, family, what? I'm just trying to understand this. Was she seeking pity, empathy, attention? I don't know, just wondering why she would have done it. Everyone is talking about what the father did but no one is seeking to understand the daughter.

I say both of the above. SHe hid it from her parents knowing full well it was wrong and full of gross exaggerations. I would guess she was looking for attention with a pity seeking drama filled posting.

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps the bolded part of your post is not the best way to make friends when you're new to a forum. (It doesn't matter which side of the fence you're on in a discussion, but "deal with it and move on" with the little "chill" emoticon is bordering on rudeness.)

I'm honestly not trying to be nasty -- I just don't want anyone to get a negative impression of you before we get to know you better! :001_smile:

This and I'm still trying to figure out why kids are being compared to, "precious snowflakes." :confused:

Snowflakes? Do her kids have really cold feet?

And there are "too many?" Is this a reference to population control?

What's "wrong" with society is that we are so desensitized to violence that some psycho shooting his kid's computer is a joke.

People aren't "desensitized to violence" simply because they make a distinction between doing something destructive to a person and doing something destructive to an inanimate object that is one's personal property.

I will also go a step further and say I didn't think her letter was that bad, and I don't understand why she has to wait on them and make everyone's beds.

I believe the dad mentioned that she only had to make her own bed, not everyone else's. And maybe the guest bed once a month. None of that seems over-the-top to me, even my 2 year old makes her own bed (well, she tries anyway :D).

What's "wrong" with society is that we are so desensitized to violence that some psycho shooting his kid's computer is a joke.

I will also go a step further and say I didn't think her letter was that bad, and I don't understand why she has to wait on them and make everyone's beds.

What is wrong is that people throw words like "psycho" around when there is absolutely no evidence to support such a claim.

The letter was outrageous. What is wrong with society is that anyone would not be outraged if their child showed such utter disrespect.

Apparently she did NOT have to make their beds, she had to make her OWN bed and on occasion the guest bed.

Why did she post it on Facebook?? LOL, because every time I open my FB page some kid's status says, "FML. Mom and dad are making me (fill in the blank with some chore)". Or "FML. Mom and dad won't buy me (fill in the blank with some non necessity)." Then, all of their whiny, self entitled, bratty friends chime in and sympathize. GAG!!!

My 15yo has kitchen duty. She has to load the dishwasher, wipe down the counters and sweep. She's had this chore for over a year because she refuses to not put dirty dishes in the cabinet. SHE WILL NOT TAKE RESPONSIBILITY AND DO THE JOB CORRECTLY. Everyone else rotates rooms every month. She complains because she's been "stuck" in the kitchen for over a year. She'd tell you right now and has told me many times that I'm lazy and make her do all the work around here. In her mind cleaning the kitchen is all the work. Me expecting her to do a good job, heck, just expecting her to not put dishes in the cabinets that came out of the dishwasher not clean, is unfair and harsh.

Sorry, I'll take the dad's word over the kid's because I live with a 15 yo girl.

As far as public humiliation, my kids know good and well if they act out in public then I will not hesitate to call them out in public. I don't play that take sweetie into another room and gently correct them game. I've only had to do it once or twice for them to realize that I ain't kiddin' on this one!

My relationship with my kids is full of respect and fun and love. It's also full of boundaries and consequences for your actions. My daughter lost her netbook last year because she was chatting with boys. We gave her a warning the first time. The second time it was gone. She still has not proven to us that she's ready to have it back. We don't owe her a netbook. It was a privilege to have it. She abused the privilege, now it's gone.

I did not take it out and shoot it up, but ya know, if that's how he wants to handle it, go ahead. I'm not judging.

I thought he was pretty calm through the ordeal, though probably a little frustrated. It could be what another poster said about the stutter. Whatever. The guy was not acting like a lunatic or anything. Very matter of fact. I like him.

Interesting discussion.

Do you think this guy thought for a minute that his video would go viral like this? Warning to us all . . . when it's on the Internet, it is ON THE INTERNET. For anyone and everyone to dissect forever and ever.

If he is an IT guy I suspect he may have had an idea.

Ha! That is hilarious. Anyone who shoots an inanimate object out of anger is clearly mentally unstable.

I have to disagree with you completely. I love to shoot at targets, and I have done so when angry. As a victim of assault I have found it very therapeutic. Would I ever shoot a person, not unless I was in immediate danger.

I will also point out that it was the psychologist at a major clinic who suggested shooting as an appropriate coping skill.

I have to disagree with you completely. I love to shoot at targets, and I have done so when angry. As a victim of assault I have found it very therapeutic. Would I ever shoot a person, not unless I was in immediate danger.

I will also point out that it was the psychologist at a major clinic who suggested shooting as an appropriate coping skill.

Simka, you and your psychologist are both clearly mentally unstable. Didn't either of you ever hear of punching a pillow? Or blowing soap bubbles?

The question I want to know is... why did she put all this out on her facebook? Does she have a vendetta against her father, family, what? I'm just trying to understand this. Was she seeking pity, empathy, attention? I don't know, just wondering why she would have done it. Everyone is talking about what the father did but no one is seeking to understand the daughter.

I do not see anything that unusual in what she did - exaggerating, pity partying and venting to friends, combined with some juvenile attention seeking - but the problem is that the modality has changed compared to our youth. Our generation used to do that face to face with our friends in a caffe (and the worst thing that could happen could be somebody overhearing it, but it was not actually registered anywhere to bite you afterward), or writing it into our diaries, which were strictly personal or at best shared with a few closest friends and not intended for the wide audience of the... world, basically. In this aspect, today's teens actually have it worse than we did, because every stupid little mistake can get blown out of proportions if it happens online - it is a different world than the one we grew up in. Somebody told me a few years ago that in a decade or two we might be witnessing a host of young adults taking a drastic step of changing their names for the sole reason of disassociating themselves from their online histories - it is where such carelessness leads to. And most everyone does it - they have profiles on social networks under their real names associated with their forum activities, they upload videos of themselves (in innocent and not so innocent actions), write about what they do and what they think in such ways that the whole world can read it... a much different situation compared to "venting" and "bragging" of our youth. Yet, they are still kids, what do we expect, that they would not gossip on each other and exaggerate about their families which are ruining their lives and say or do a few idiotic things along the way? It is just a medium that has changed, and unfortunately for them, the medium of their youth is quite deadly.

I do understand the girl's father wanting to put his foot down on that nonsense, but it is one thing to put your foot down because you think your child should be a heck lot more careful about what they do online (that I would agree with), while it is another thing to put your foot down because you are personally offended with the fact your teenager has at times said something stupid or inappropriate to her friends about what goes on in your family (and here is where my disagreement with his action begins: it seems to me that this is a little personal vendetta of his, rather than a genuine concern about his kid making poor choices online).

And then there are many ways of putting your foot down for extreme consequences. Not all of them involve the destruction of property. And especially not all of them involve an approach of taking it to the public sphere (EVEN if the other party made an offense there - this is why he is an adult who should know better). It looks like both the daughter and the father could profit from a lesson about impulsivity and about why do you deal with your dirty laundry inside family, rather than airing it outside for the whole wide world to see, in this case literally. Even if we were to agree that the girl does merit some degree of punishment if she is just not getting it the nice way, there are alternative ways of going about it. If he decided she was not responsible enough for a laptop, he could have given her the chance to save elsewhere whatever documents she wanted saved and then donated it. Or he could have stripped it off internet access. Or he could have sat down with her and deleted all of her online accounts, as obviously she was not mature enough to have them. Or he could have made her exaggerations come true and make her actually do for a while all the things she claimed she had to do (I would do that :tongue_smilie:). Or he could have decided she was being too self-invested and fussing about nothing and gave her an opportunity to experience some real life and how less fortunate people live. Or all of that combined. I mean, really, there is big grey area between being a permissive parent who allows their children to get away poor choices with this, and shooting and humiliating your kid in the public.

Why did she post it on Facebook?? LOL, because every time I open my FB page some kid's status says, "FML. Mom and dad are making me (fill in the blank with some chore)". Or "FML. Mom and dad won't buy me (fill in the blank with some non necessity)." Then, all of their whiny, self entitled, bratty friends chime in and sympathize. GAG!!!

What I've really been wondering is WHY her heart is this way.

Wow. I never really quite felt like I fit in with this group, but there is no question now. Note to self: stay away from the general board. Yikes! :lol:

:001_huh:

Your recent post was, "HA! That is ridiculous!" combined with armchair psychiatry.

This may be a case of the old maxim about being able to stand the heat.

Edited by Tibbie Dunbar

Simka is perfectly level headed.

There is a huge difference between target practice and destruction of personal property with a gun as a form of punishment.

In many states, someone who "merely" causes property damage of family member is charged with domestic violence in addition to the lesser crime of the property damage itself--in exactly the same way as they are charged with domestic violence in addition to assault if they hit their partner.

That is because there is such a high correlation between people who direct their violence towards objects and people who direct violence towards people and violence towards personal belongings is a type of intimidation. Several state statutes contain this specific provision in their domestic violence laws. Adults may be prosecuted under domestic violence laws for destroying jointly owned property. It's all part of the same nasty ball of wax.

I stand by what I said: the man's act was violent.

I do not see anything that unusual in what she did - exaggerating, pity partying and venting to friends, combined with some juvenile attention seeking - but the problem is that the modality has changed compared to our youth. Our generation used to do that face to face with our friends in a caffe (and the worst thing that could happen could be somebody overhearing it, but it was not actually registered anywhere to bite you afterward), or writing it into our diaries, which were strictly personal or at best shared with a few closest friends and not intended for the wide audience of the... world, basically. In this aspect, today's teens actually have it worse than we did, because every stupid little mistake can get blown out of proportions if it happens online - it is a different world than the one we grew up in. Somebody told me a few years ago that in a decade or two we might be witnessing a host of young adults taking a drastic step of changing their names for the sole reason of disassociating themselves from their online histories - it is where such carelessness leads to. And most everyone does it - they have profiles on social networks under their real names associated with their forum activities, they upload videos of themselves (in innocent and not so innocent actions), write about what they do and what they think in such ways that the whole world can read it... a much different situation compared to "venting" and "bragging" of our youth. Yet, they are still kids, what do we expect, that they would not gossip on each other and exaggerate about their families which are ruining their lives and say or do a few idiotic things along the way? It is just a medium that has changed, and unfortunately for them, the medium of their youth is quite deadly.

I do understand the girl's father wanting to put his foot down on that nonsense, but it is one thing to put your foot down because you think your child should be a heck lot more careful about what they do online (that I would agree with), while it is another thing to put your foot down because you are personally offended with the fact your teenager has at times said something stupid or inappropriate to her friends about what goes on in your family (and here is where my disagreement with his action begins: it seems to me that this is a little personal vendetta of his, rather than a genuine concern about his kid making poor choices online).

And then there are many ways of putting your foot down for extreme consequences. Not all of them involve the destruction of property. And especially not all of them involve an approach of taking it to the public sphere (EVEN if the other party made an offense there - this is why he is an adult who should know better). It looks like both the daughter and the father could profit from a lesson about impulsivity and about why do you deal with your dirty laundry inside family, rather than airing it outside for the whole wide world to see, in this case literally. Even if we were to agree that the girl does merit some degree of punishment if she is just not getting it the nice way, there are alternative ways of going about it. If he decided she was not responsible enough for a laptop, he could have given her the chance to save elsewhere whatever documents she wanted saved and then donated it. Or he could have stripped it off internet access. Or he could have sat down with her and deleted all of her online accounts, as obviously she was not mature enough to have them. Or he could have made her exaggerations come true and make her actually do for a while all the things she claimed she had to do (I would do that :tongue_smilie:). Or he could have decided she was being too self-invested and fussing about nothing and gave her an opportunity to experience some real life and how less fortunate people live. Or all of that combined. I mean, really, there is big grey area between being a permissive parent who allows their children to get away poor choices with this, and shooting and humiliating your kid in the public.

:iagree: The bolded consequence has a nice ring to it!

Simka is perfectly level headed.

There is a huge difference between target practice and destruction of personal property with a gun s a form of punishment. .

In many states, someone who "merely" causes property damage of family member is charged with domestic violence in addition to the lesser crime of the property damage itself--in exactly the same way as they are charged with domestic violence in addition to assault if they hit their partner.

That is because there is such a high correlation between people who direct their violence towards objects and people who direct violence towards people and violence towards personal belongings is a type of intimidation. Several state statutes contain this specific provision in their domestic violence laws. Adults may be prosecuted under domestic violence laws for destroying jointly owned property. It's all part of the same nasty ball of wax.

I stand by what I said: the man's act was violent.

This makes sense, and I do see it coming very close to a line I would not be willing to cross. I think though, since she is a minor, he is destroying his own property?

Here in the South, especially ranching/farming culture, I have seen these types of interactions. Like I said earlier, they used to wig me out a bit. Then I actually watched quite a few of these 12, 13, 14, and 15 yr olds grow into 16, 17, 18 and 19 years olds. The transformation is amazing. Girls who I thought would become damaged runaways, are leaders in their FFA chapters and heading to the National Young Farmer/Rancher conference thingy ;)

I guess I have just been humbled a bit. Watching these parents I thought were way over the top, turn out kids that love and respect them. They can fight like the dixkens, but don't you dare come between them :D.

It is a very interesting discussion.

Here in the South, especially ranching/farming culture, I have seen these types of interactions. Like I said earlier, they used to wig me out a bit. Then I actually watched quite a few of these 12, 13, 14, and 15 yr olds grow into 16, 17, 18 and 19 years olds. The transformation is amazing. Girls who I thought would become damaged runaways, are leaders in their FFA chapters and heading to the National Young Farmer/Rancher conference thingy ;)

I guess I have just been humbled a bit. Watching these parents I thought were way over the top, turn out kids that love and respect them. They can fight like the dixkens, but don't you dare come between them :D.

Nicely put.

I don't know what to think. How do you feel about this?

http://www.litefm.com/cc-common/mainheadlines3.html?feed=421220&article=9738000

(The video does have some curse words in it.)

I wouldn't have shot the laptop. I'd have given it to a child with academic promise who couldn't afford one and would appreciate it. Otherwise, I don't have a problem with it. Sometimes, tough love is just necessary.

What she said :D

Edited by Halcyon

I've seen this, too.

The dd's own response to the public outcry is Ă¢â‚¬Å“DudeĂ¢â‚¬Â¦ itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s only a computer. I mean, yeah IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m mad but pfft.Ă¢â‚¬ (Source)

The rest of her response is pretty amusing as well.

I'm not into shooting laptops but I think he did what he needed to do to get her attention.

Because she's a 15yo girl. I wrote similar hyperbolic drabble while throwing my own pity parties. Of course, I wrote it in my journal. Kid's today don't simply "wine" or "vent" in person... they put everything out on twitter, or the internet, or You Tube. This is the culture they are being raised in, and to this 15yo girl (and her friends) this is perfectly "normal" behavior.

And, I think it IS normal behavior for a 15yo, in a fit of self-pity, and emotionalism to think like this. Heck, my 10yo dd can go from even keeled, to a shaking, sobbing mess... because we're having trouble logging on to her Latin class. She can also get bent out of shape because she "has" to put away the dishes... and all woe-is-me, life is so unfair, because it's HER turn to clean the bathroom sinks. At that point, in her mind, she's the Cinderella, and everyone is picking on her. Girls do this (not all girls, but many of them). Boys do too...

I've seen this, too.

The dd's own response to the public outcry is Ă¢â‚¬Å“DudeĂ¢â‚¬Â¦ itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s only a computer. I mean, yeah IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m mad but pfft.Ă¢â‚¬ (Source)

I'm not into shooting laptops but I think he did what he needed to do to get her attention.

I love the part about how she got caught!!!! The dog did it! Too funny!

...I am really starting to like this guy and his daughter. :leaving:

This and I'm still trying to figure out why kids are being compared to, "precious snowflakes." :confused:

Snowflakes? Do her kids have really cold feet?

And there are "too many?" Is this a reference to population control?

It's a saying. When your kid wants attention, and is bemoaning how they are OWED something that you, as a parent, know that they are not, you call them a Spechul Snowflake. Because all snowflakes are unique, and that precious snowflake deserves what s/he wants. ;)

And this was just AWESOME!!!!

His dd reaction:

In the meantime, once the initial anger passed,... she sat with me reviewing some of the comments that have come in via Facebook and YouTube. One person even suggested collecting the shell casings and auctioning them on eBay. I said IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢d do it if it would help contribute to her college fund! When I told her about it, she thought a minute, got a funny calculating expression on her face and said, Ă¢â‚¬Å“in that case you should shoot my phone too. We can use more bullets and IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll go half-sies with ya on it! ItĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s not like IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m going to need it any time soon. And I can use the money we get to buy a new one.Ă¢â‚¬

While the whole point of this story isnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t funny, what is funny to me is how weak some people out there think kids are. Our kids are as strong as we help them to be. My daughter took a horrible day in her life, had her crying fit, then got over it, accepted her punishment, and hasnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t let it (or peopleĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s comments) destroy her strength. I donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t get any credit for that. SheĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s strong and able to overcome almost anything life throws at her.

Read more: http://www.litefm.com/cc-common/mainheadlines3.html?feed=421220&article=9744152#ixzz1m2DbgfaI

...and I am off to watch Grimm! :D

I should probably hate my Attachment Parenting Liberal, semi-unschooling pacifist self for not thinking this is horrible. I showed it to my crazy liberal kids and husband and even they understood my non-outrage. He doesn't seem out of control to me. He does seem angry, but so what? He shot a computer. Who among us has not wanted to do that? How is this different from punching a pillow, beyond it being far more satisfying? ;)

If PW's 'Marlboro Man' had posted this, folks would we all WOOOOOOOOOT!

The fact that he and his kid are communicating about, and she has a sense of humour -- want ing to make money off the bullets--says to me that they have a good relationship. Plus! The guy knows how to use punctuation.

Oh, and that he doesn't want to go be interviewed by The View. or Meredith Viera speaks volumes about his character, imo.

Edited by LibraryLover

I've seen this, too.

Yes, but it's her father typing what she supposedly said - no? Isn't it possible that none of that was her response? Could be totally wrong, but it doesn't make sense that a dad who just shot her laptop and pulled her internet privilege was sharing her FB page with her. :001_huh: Personally, I think it's possible that he's on damage control. Do they have different laws where he is about where guns can be discharged in relation to the distance from roads and other things? I thought I saw a vehicle passing not too far away from where he was. Could be a road on his property though. Yeah - it's all a bit foreign to me.

happyhomemaker25;3599866]Why did she post it on Facebook?? LOL, because every time I open my FB page some kid's status says, "FML. Mom and dad are making me (fill in the blank with some chore)". Or "FML. Mom and dad won't buy me (fill in the blank with some non necessity)." Then, all of their whiny, self entitled, bratty friends chime in and sympathize. GAG!!!

No freaking kidding!

My 15yo has kitchen duty. She has to load the dishwasher, wipe down the counters and sweep. She's had this chore for over a year because she refuses to not put dirty dishes in the cabinet. SHE WILL NOT TAKE RESPONSIBILITY AND DO THE JOB CORRECTLY. Everyone else rotates rooms every month. She complains because she's been "stuck" in the kitchen for over a year. She'd tell you right now and has told me many times that I'm lazy and make her do all the work around here. In her mind cleaning the kitchen is all the work. Me expecting her to do a good job, heck, just expecting her to not put dishes in the cabinets that came out of the dishwasher not clean, is unfair and harsh.

Sorry, I'll take the dad's word over the kid's because I live with a 15 yo girl.

YES! I'm thinking that most who have complained about how unreasonable Dad is do NOT live with a 15 year old girl!

As far as public humiliation, my kids know good and well if they act out in public then I will not hesitate to call them out in public. I don't play that take sweetie into another room and gently correct them game. I've only had to do it once or twice for them to realize that I ain't kiddin' on this one!

Right. Pick your battles, honey (I want to say), and don't poke the grizzly bear too much (me!)

Because when you disrespect me and disrespect me and are penalized for that and continue to disrespect me...some day you are not going to be able to ignore me.

My relationship with my kids is full of respect and fun and love. It's also full of boundaries and consequences for your actions. My daughter lost her netbook last year because she was chatting with boys. We gave her a warning the first time. The second time it was gone. She still has not proven to us that she's ready to have it back. We don't owe her a netbook. It was a privilege to have it. She abused the privilege, now it's gone.

Right. I wish I were this tough. I take it away but give in far too fast to keep peace. It doesn't work.

I did not take it out and shoot it up, but ya know, if that's how he wants to handle it, go ahead. I'm not judging.

I thought he was pretty calm through the ordeal, though probably a little frustrated.

Calm and frustrated. Exactly. I do not understand where these people hurling around adjectives like "psycho" are coming from. There is just nothing "psycho" about this totally foreseeable action about which he WARNED HER in advance.

It could be what another poster said about the stutter. Whatever. The guy was not acting like a lunatic or anything. Very matter of fact. I like him.

This makes sense, and I do see it coming very close to a line I would not be willing to cross. I think though, since she is a minor, he is destroying his own property?

:D.

It is a very interesting discussion.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is an investigation, honestly.

It is technically his property, but he refers to it as hers, so it's clear in the video that it is regarded as her personal property that he just shot full of holes. He's walked a fine line, but he may be on the wrong side of it. I wouldn't be surprised if there is an investigation. You could be right--or there could be a very dark side to this.

I too live in the South. Unfortunately, as part of my former job, I was in the homes of people for whom destruction of property was indeed part of the continuum of acts that occurred during family violence. Sometimes it was an improvement if someone in treatment directed their anger toward an object instead of a person as part of a temporary measure while trying to get the whole violence thing under control, but continued violence towards stuff was quite indicative of the probability that there was also violence towards people.

That's a stretch. I can totally see someone shooting out a target but not a person.

Holy Hell. I can't believe I've saying this.

Me too! I am shocked at myself for defending this guy, but I did wrestle with it most of the night and day, before I started posting. :D

Who am I?!

Me too! I am shocked at myself for defending this guy, but I did wrestle with it most of the night and day, before I started posting. :D

Who am I?!

:D You know how sometimes moms here post, "I am going to kill this kid!"? Maybe we could change that up. We could have hive code: "I am going to take a .45 to his computer. Out in the field, of course."

We'd all understand.

It's a saying. When your kid wants attention, and is bemoaning how they are OWED something that you, as a parent, know that they are not, you call them a Spechul Snowflake. Because all snowflakes are unique, and that precious snowflake deserves what s/he wants. ;)

I've NEVER heard that before! :)

Yep, and now it's here forever where we can remind you...:lol:;)

Ack!! Tell Superman to rewind the world! It's forever on the internetz! I don't agree with violence. However, killing a computer, or smashing the crap out of a couple dishes (not that I have *ever* done that) is not the same as physically harming a person.

Yes' date=' but it's her father typing what she supposedly said - no? Isn't it possible that none of that was her response? Could be totally wrong, but it doesn't make sense that a dad who just shot her laptop and pulled her internet privilege was sharing her FB page with her. :001_huh: Personally, I think it's possible that he's on damage control. Do they have different laws where he is about where guns can be discharged in relation to the distance from roads and other things? I thought I saw a vehicle passing not too far away from where he was. Could be a road on his property though. Yeah - it's all a bit foreign to me.[/quote']

Well...of course it's possible, but I don't think it's probable.

:001_huh:

Your recent post was, "HA! That is ridiculous!" combined with armchair psychiatry.

This may be a case of the old maxim about being able to stand the heat.

Oh my, heat? What heat? I've gotten no heat. I just know I'm not going to ever change anyone's mind, so why go into it any further?

I do think it's way different than shooting a target for fun, or punching a pillow, but from the views of most of the posters, I'm one of the few. I'm just not into wasting tons of time defending my opinion. You all disagree with me. That's fine, I disagree with most of what I read on the general board, so that's why I said I should probably stay away.

Oh my, heat? What heat? I've gotten no heat. I just know I'm not going to ever change anyone's mind, so why go into it any further?

I do think it's way different than shooting a target for fun, or punching a pillow, but from the views of most of the posters, I'm one of the few. I'm just not into wasting tons of time defending my opinion. You all disagree with me. That's fine, I disagree with most of what I read on the general board, so that's why I said I should probably stay away.

I agree with you that violence is never the way. I've spent like a week re-reading The Iliad, so I may have issues.

I agree with you that violence is never the way. I've spent like a week re-reading The Iliad, so I may have issues.

I 98% agree with you too, Runningmom. So please don't run away from here!

DH and I would have some serious conversations if he did this to one of our kids. And I would have to seriously consider killing him if he FBd something like this because this was pretty much MADE to go viral. And if someone exposed my family at its (hopefully) craziest like this, I would have serious issues.

I do think shooting someone's property like this is a character failure.

I get why he did it. I get the ungrateful child thing and trying to tamp that down but like I said, culturally this would not go over well in my family or with my friends. I would be deeply embarrassed if this were my DH.

I think it's time to count to 200 when you take a gun out of the house to destroy property like this.