Menu

Dad teaches daughter a lesson on Facebook.

If he's in IT why is he dressing and acting like a cowboy?? :confused:

I think this guy is acting out of his anger and it would have been more productive if he had simmered down first and then let the punishment fit the crime. Shooting up a valuable piece of equipment (no matter how tempting it may be) is wasteful and unnecessary. He could just as easily have just confiscated it. He said that she was grounded before for 3 months for saying something disrespectful. That seems excessive to me. I think he is just alienating his daughter more than trying to get through to her and actually communicate. I think they could benefit from some family therapy or an outside mediator.

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If he's in IT why is he dressing and acting like a cowboy?? :confused:

I think this guy is acting out of his anger and it would have been more productive if he had simmered down first and then let the punishment fit the crime. Shooting up a valuable piece of equipment (no matter how tempting it may be) is wasteful and unnecessary. He could just as easily have just confiscated it. He said that she was grounded before for 3 months for saying something disrespectful. That seems excessive to me. I think he is just alienating his daughter more than trying to get through to her and actually communicate. I think they could benefit from some family therapy or an outside mediator.

Judging by his accent, I'm thinking he's from Texas.

Being in IT doesn't mean that he can't also be a cowboy. ;)

If he's in IT why is he dressing and acting like a cowboy?? :confused: Because in Texas EVERYONE dresses like a cowboy :001_smile:

I actually think he put some time and thought into his reply. At the end he says his wife asked him to put a bullet in the laptop for her as well so he at least spoke to her.

I think this would have been better solved with a family conference around the dining room table. When he took it to Facebook and now the national audience, he reduced himself to her level.

My impression is that her previous grounding was for similar issues, which *was* dealt w/by talking and grounding.

And appropriate behaviour was discussed prior to her being off grounding.

Obviously the talking didn't work, so he went to the next level, and gave her a taste of her own medicine.

He bought the laptop, so if he felt like "ending" it.... go for it, it was his to do so. Sounds like her mom was all for it too. Some children need to learn that they aren't entitled to every little thing they think they want and that there are consequences to their reactions. My mother did the same to us as kids. She warned us and if we crossed the line, she took/threw away something we cared about.

I think he did the right thing by defending his family and family friends from her little rant. In public, as that's where she decided she wanted to take it. And few people outside of those involved will remember anything about it in a small period of time.

I thought it was highly inappropriate to do it in a public forum. Very distasteful. Is this where reality tv has led us? To feel that it's okay to air our dirty laundry in public? The father needs to set an example, not ratchet up the conflict. He should have taken away her computer, all electronics. Friends would have realized soon enough that she was "gone" from the online world, and they'd know the reason too.

Facebook, and the Internet in general, and reality tv have, IMO, made people feel that everything private is public, and there are no boundaries. I feel embarrased for everyone involved here, but the daughter's behavior is more understandable (not excusable!) because she is 15. The father is just...ick. I can actually FEEL his anger emanating from the screen. IMO, he should have said to her, directly, "You remember the consequences for this sort of behavior, right?" and taken her computer away, or had her donate it to a homeless shelter where people are REALLY suffering. He should have been cool, calm and collected. He has every right to take the computer away, which he should have, but in a very different manner.

They are both feeding off each other's anger, IMO. There needs to be reconciliation, not escalation.

Judging by his accent, I'm thinking he's from Texas.

Being in IT doesn't mean that he can't also be a cowboy. ;)

hehehehe duly noted!

I actually think he put some time and thought into his reply. At the end he says his wife asked him to put a bullet in the laptop for her as well so he at least spoke to her.

Oh I agree that he took time to think about it, but I think he was still very angry. You could hear it in his voice how he was breathing etc. It was a premeditated bullet for sure, but still in anger if that makes sense. JMO I still think going to family counselling would have been much more productive. I'm not saying that his dd didn't deserve to get punished. She did. But publicly humiliating/shaming her is not the way to go IMO. It doesn't seem like he was trying to teach her anything. He was getting revenge for her embarrassing him and the other adults and for talking smack about them on FB.

:iagree: except I believe he said her mother, as well as his wife who is her stepmother. So apparently all parental units were involved. I think he was angry, but not out of control. In some areas/cultures the use of a gun to destroy something is normal and not thought of as over the top. I have an uncle who would do something like this. He has a great relationship with his kids.

My impression is that her previous grounding was for similar issues, which *was* dealt w/by talking and grounding.

And appropriate behaviour was discussed prior to her being off grounding.

Obviously the talking didn't work, so he went to the next level, and gave her a taste of her own medicine.

:iagree:

Oh I agree that he took time to think about it, but I think he was still very angry. You could hear it in his voice how he was breathing etc. It was a premeditated bullet for sure, but still in anger if that makes sense. JMO I still think going to family counselling would have been much more productive. I'm not saying that his dd didn't deserve to get punished. She did. But publicly humiliating/shaming her is not the way to go IMO. It doesn't seem like he was trying to teach her anything. He was getting revenge for her embarrassing him and the other adults and for talking smack about them on FB.

:iagree: He was so angry he could barely spit some of the words out.

You mean he stooped to her level. I don't like it. It makes him look bad.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I wouldn't go to that extreme, but it didn't bother me. I agree with many of the commenters on the video and think that if more parents took a stand against their teenagers and the disrespect that spews from today's adolescent population, there wouldn't be all the entitlement that they have now. It's part of the culture here. In fact, when I showed it to DH, he got a good giggle out of it and when I posted the link on facebook, my SIL left a comment to the effect that he could be a part of our family. lol Most kids aren't as fragile as some would like for you to believe and sometimes drastic things need to be done to get their attention.

I wouldn't go to that extreme, but it didn't bother me. I agree with many of the commenters on the video and think that if more parents took a stand against their teenagers and the disrespect that spews from today's adolescent population, there wouldn't be all the entitlement that they have now. It's part of the culture here. In fact, when I showed it to DH, he got a good giggle out of it and when I posted the link on facebook, my SIL left a comment to the effect that he could be a part of our family. lol Most kids aren't as fragile as some would like for you to believe and sometimes drastic things need to be done to get their attention.

:iagree: From the followups he posted, they seem to have a fine relationship overall. IMHO, it's better she learned this lesson today with her dad/family than when she blasted private info about an employer or someone else where the punishment would be even harsher in the real world.

I think he is a hypocrite for one, comes across as mentally unstable and seriously irritated me with the fact that he couldn't put down the cigarette.

:iagree: He came off as immature, arrogant and angry. (not that he doesnt have a right to be angry, of course!) But, he's an adult who stooped to the level of an immature teenager.

I hope the other adults in her life are better role models.

How is this different than moms who post on their blogs, message boards, FB etc. that they have had UP TO HERE with toys, clothes, or junk all over their kid's room and bagged everything up and threw it away?

I see those "meanest mom ever" posts all over with that type of vent.

It seems like the same thing to me only it went viral because it's a dad with a gun in a video.

Personally though, I could not have brought myself to destroy the laptop. I could see locked up, donated, or wiped clean with no access to anything but a word processing program.

My first thought though? I bet she has a new laptop in less than a year.

I see that as very scary and violent.

The kid is obviously angry and she posted inappropriate things in a showing off way. Surely someone old enough to have fathered her ought to be able to pull a little more maturity out of his hat. Up until he shot the laptop, I thought, "Well I see where she gets the attitude and vocabulary."

However, once he shot the laptop, I saw it as intimidating. (Didn't some celebrity get arrested for shooting his own car?) He could have sold the laptop for instance if he thought nonuse of a laptop was an appropriate punishment. Then he'd at least have some money for it. Instead, it gave him more satisfaction to destroy it violently with a weapon that could be used on her as well. I mean when a gang shoots up someone's house, even if no one is home, it's meant to send a message, is it not?

It's pretty much at the level of the judge beating his daughter with the belt, imo.

Right though he may be, he has now humiliated her in front of her friends (well, virtually, anyway). I can't see that righting the wrongs in their relationship.

I"m guessing she learned all she knows from him. I doubt if it's the first time he's used humiliation as a weapon.

This isn't going to be over in a week.

That is going to follow her for the rest of her life. Job interviews, rent or background checks...college application time, friendships, association applications...

"Oh, are you the same Susie Smith who's dad shot up that laptop?"

The internet is forever.

I'm not so sure Dad thought that part through.

It's going to follow him the rest of his life, too. I'd be afraid to hire the guy for fear he'd go postal.

I see that as very scary and violent.

The kid is obviously angry and she posted inappropriate things in a showing off way. Surely someone old enough to have fathered her ought to be able to pull a little more maturity out of his hat. Up until he shot the laptop, I thought, "Well I see where she gets the attitude and vocabulary."

However, once he shot the laptop, I saw it as intimidating. (Didn't some celebrity get arrested for shooting his own car?) He could have sold the laptop for instance if he thought nonuse of a laptop was an appropriate punishment. Then he'd at least have some money for it. Instead, it gave him more satisfaction to destroy it violently with a weapon that could be used on her as well. I mean when a gang shoots up someone's house, even if no one is home, it's meant to send a message, is it not?

It's pretty much at the level of the judge beating his daughter with the belt, imo.

I can see how this could be considered threatening I suppose, but at no point did he actually threaten her. And I doubt the daughter felt threatened at all. I think the message was supposed to be "i'd rather lose the money than have you misuse this thing like that." And I don't see how that compares to beating a child.

Well, that devalues the seriousness of abuse.

Shooting an inanimate object, when the child isn't present is equal to being beaten w/a leather belt? Seriously?

:iagree: My 14yo watched it with me and thought it was pretty funny that he shot her laptop. I said, "Your dad would do that!" He said that he wouldn't, so he went and asked him. He came back and said, "Well, he said yes, but it doesn't matter because I would NEVER post something like that on FB!":lol:

Daughter learned a lesson, Dad learned a lesson...in the grand scheme of things it won't matter, but 25 years from now, when she has her own teenager, she'll get it, and they will laugh about it.:tongue_smilie:

Shooting an inanimate object, when the child isn't present is equal to being beaten w/a leather belt? Seriously?

I agree. And really, shooting the laptop is violent? You must not live in the south or have grown up around guns. Premeditated? Yes. Violent? no.

I'm not on FB so I haven't seen any of the follow-up conversations between him and his daughter, but is it only in print there or is it a video? Because I would highly doubt that anything written on FB is coming from her. He said that the last time she did something similar she was grounded for 3 months - and I'm assuming no computer use during that time - and he said that would seem like nothing compared to what he would do this time. If it's just in print, I would think it's the mom and dad conversing, not the daughter and dad. Having been publicly humiliated and your laptop shot isn't the kind of thing one gets over and laughs about a short time later IMO. I also wonder what the truth is regarding the work she has to do. Admittedly my mind goes to Cinderella when I hear step-mother. :tongue_smilie: Not sure the father would know all she does if he leaves early for work. Not at all saying that what she did was right - it was atrocious - but I assume the truth about her situation lies somewhere in the middle of the two accounts, and what I don't know is how far to either side. They could all benefit from counseling no doubt.

:iagree: Especially with the bolded above, only it isn't just teenagers.

Actually, imo, it taking physical abuse seriously. Many abusers punch walls, etc. who also punch people. It's a form of intimidation even if they didn't "hurt anybody." People who work with domestic violence are well aware of this. (ETA not everyone who has ever punched a hole in a wall is an abuser, but there is a high correlation. People who do punch people are very likely to be punching holes in walls, destroying people's personal property, etc.)

I don't consider the two incidents the same in terms of the physical impact to the child in this incident, no. But I do consider that the same type of man is at play in both.

I am pro-gun ownership and I live in the South.

If it wasn't a display of violence, why did he put 7 bullets in the laptop instead of simply selling it? What point was he making exactly?

Edited by Laurie4b

I think he overdid it. Yeah, she was a snot online. That doesn't mean he has to be a worse snot right back, in public. He's not the immature teenager--she is.

I think it would have been appropriate to take custody of her computer, and have an honest talk about what her expectations are and what the parents' expectations are. What if they really are asking too much housework out of her for her schoolwork to get done properly?

This reaction is not going to bring them closer together. It may feel nice to see a smackdown, but I don't think it was a good idea.

:iagree:

I'm not on FB so I haven't seen any of the follow-up conversations between him and his daughter' date=' but is it only in print there or is it a video? Because I would highly doubt that anything written on FB is coming from her. He said that the last time she did something similar she was grounded for 3 months - and I'm assuming no computer use during that time - and he said that would seem like nothing compared to what he would do this time. If it's just in print, I would think it's the mom and dad conversing, not the daughter and dad. Having been publicly humiliated and your laptop shot isn't the kind of thing one gets over and laughs about a short time later IMO. I also wonder what the truth is regarding the work she has to do. Admittedly my mind goes to Cinderella when I hear step-mother. :tongue_smilie: Not sure the father would know all she does if he leaves early for work. Not at all saying that what she did was right - it was atrocious - but I assume the truth about her situation lies somewhere in the middle of the two accounts, and what I don't know is how far to either side. [b']They could all benefit from counseling no doubt.[/b]

Because counseling solves everything. Dad took a stand and now he needs counseling. A perfect example of what is wrong with our society.

If it wasn't a display of violence, why did he put 7 bullets in the laptop instead of simply selling it? What point was he making exactly?

B/c he warned her, when she ended her previous grounding, that if she misbehaved again w/the laptop, he'd 'put a bullet in it'.

He followed through on his word.

Personally, I would have sold it or given it away, but then I've never even seen a handgun, let alone owned one, so it's completely out of my frame of reference.

He didn't do it in a fit of anger...(yes, he was angry, not saying he wasn't) he was following through on what he'd warned.

Your comparison w/punching holes in walls doesn't hold. Ppl don't warn that if x,y,z happens, they'll punch a hole in the wall...that's done in snap anger.

This is my first post, but the responses got me riled up enough to actually register.

Was he a bit redneck in his response? Yep. Did she deserve such a drastic response considering she's already done the same thing. Yep. My 12 and 10 year old thought he was spot on for his reaction. Dh thought he was spot on also.

There are too many precious snowflakes in the world already. Deal with it and move on.:chillpill:

B/c he warned her, when she ended her previous grounding, that if she misbehaved again w/the laptop, he'd 'put a bullet in it'.

He followed through on his word.

Personally, I would have sold it or given it away, but then I've never even seen a handgun, let alone owned one, so it's completely out of my frame of reference.

He didn't do it in a fit of anger...(yes, he was angry, not saying he wasn't) he was following through on what he'd warned.

Your comparison w/punching holes in walls doesn't hold. Ppl don't warn that if x,y,z happens, they'll punch a hole in the wall...that's done in snap anger.

Okay, back it up: Why did he say he'd put a bullet through it instead of saying he'd give it away to a kid who couldn't afford it, or that he'd sell it? I've said some stupid stuff to my kids when angry about upcoming consequences ( nothing even in the same league as this) and feel that it's mature to withdraw what I said when I cooled off and substitute a more reasonable punishment. I think to say that he was just being consistent and following through still begs the question: Why put 7 bullets in it? Why put one bullet through it if violent communication is not what was intended?

I know a family with very similar dynamics IRL. Before knowing them this may have thrown me a bit. I would have thought it was overkill.

Now though, I understand that it works for them. They are very familar with guns, he told her what would happen, she got a taste of what she dished out, and they are able to laugh about it now as a family. It was appropriate for their family culture and values.

It will go down in their family history. ;)

I did wrestle with this a bit after watching it last night, but after reading about how they are able to joke about it between themselves, I think he did what was right for his family.

Okay, back it up: Why did he say he'd put a bullet through it instead of saying he'd give it away to a kid who couldn't afford it, or that he'd sell it? I've said some stupid stuff to my kids when angry about upcoming consequences ( nothing even in the same league as this) and feel that it's mature to withdraw what I said when I cooled off and substitute a more reasonable punishment. I think to say that he was just being consistent and following through still begs the question: Why put 7 bullets in it? Why put one bullet through it if violent communication is not what was intended?

Because in that culture it is a form of "putting it down." It is an image they are both familiar with and understand.

Oh, the brat thing... That's a really tought one to deal with and we got our FIRST taste of it this week.

I will say that we (ok, DH mostly) are a gun-friendly family but we will not use guns to teach our kids "lessons." I think if we get mad enough to start shooting our kids' possessions, that it's time for a time out for the adults. The use of a gun should be for defense or hunting (which we don't do). Guns aren't for stunts, in my family's culture and I would be leery as heck about being friends with people who do use them in this way.

The cigarette smoking and flicking made me twitch too. It looks trashy and seriously, for the 8 minutes he made this video, he couldn't go without a cigarette?!? I don't smoke but I'd put my ice cream down for 8 flipping minutes to make a FB video.

And the environmental hippy in me wondered about the environmental impact of a battery being shot right into the ground. Yuck.

And that was a perfectly good laptop apparently. DONATE it.

I get WHAT the dad was trying to do but I think it could have been done better in so many ways. There was no turkey farm he could have dropped his DD off for an afternoon of poop shoveling?? :D

What's "wrong" with society is that we are so desensitized to violence that some psycho shooting his kid's computer is a joke.

I will also go a step further and say I didn't think her letter was that bad, and I don't understand why she has to wait on them and make everyone's beds.

But, I'm a product of domestic violence, where even after it ended, the disrespect for women continued. So I don't think he's an awesome parent, I think he's severely misinformed if he thinks that destruction and authoritarianism is the way to get through to someone.

What's "wrong" with society is that we are so desensitized to violence that some psycho shooting his kid's computer is a joke.

I will also go a step further and say I didn't think her letter was that bad, and I don't understand why she has to wait on them and make everyone's beds.

But, I'm a product of domestic violence, where even after it ended, the disrespect for women continued. So I don't think he's an awesome parent, I think he's severely misinformed if he thinks that destruction and authoritarianism is the way to get through to someone.

She doesn't have to make anyone's bed but her own, according to Dad! Or wait on her parents, either. That's one reason he was mad. She put herself out there as the Cinderella of the house when she actually did less work than anyone in the family and never did anything for anyone.

This is my first post, but the responses got me riled up enough to actually register.

Was he a bit redneck in his response? Yep. Did she deserve such a drastic response considering she's already done the same thing. Yep. My 12 and 10 year old thought he was spot on for his reaction. Dh thought he was spot on also.

There are too many precious snowflakes in the world already. Deal with it and move on.:chillpill:

Perhaps the bolded part of your post is not the best way to make friends when you're new to a forum. (It doesn't matter which side of the fence you're on in a discussion, but "deal with it and move on" with the little "chill" emoticon is bordering on rudeness.)

I'm honestly not trying to be nasty -- I just don't want anyone to get a negative impression of you before we get to know you better! :001_smile:

The question I want to know is... why did she put all this out on her facebook? Does she have a vendetta against her father, family, what? I'm just trying to understand this. Was she seeking pity, empathy, attention? I don't know, just wondering why she would have done it. Everyone is talking about what the father did but no one is seeking to understand the daughter.