Menu

1 year American History Overview for 2nd grade

jessie410

Still working on our options for piecing together our own curriculum. I'm thinking of doing a states study and overview of American history for 2nd grade. I've been Googling but having a hard time finding what I'm looking for. Anyone have any suggestions for a gentle intro/overview that would go well with a state study? It doesn't have to be a fancy boxed curric, free online would be OK too. Preferrably Christian :)

For second grade, I liked Edward Eggleston's old books from 1890's--

A First Book in American History

Stories of Great Americans for Little Americans

That only goes up to about 1900, which I think is fine for 2nd grade. If you wanted to cover history past 1900, you could add another resource to those above. One person suggested studying the presidents along with the major events of their presidencies as a good way to give an overview of the last 100 years. I got a kids' book about the presidents for that purpose.

I do three or four history lapbooks per year as our history activity to help the kids remember the important information. You could do lapbooks on New World Explorers, Jamestown, Pilgrims, The Civil War, etc.

Road Trip USA rounding out with recommended history books

Beautiful Feet Early American History

Guest Hollow American History (free)

MFW Adventures (might save you from reinventing the wheel)

HOD Bigger

Abeka grade 3 history adding living books

Homeschool in the Woods

This Country of Ours (free, public domain)

Edited by Robin's Song

We use MFW Adventures at this level. :001_smile: It's fun, simple to use, well laid-out, Biblical Christian but not denomination-specific, and the TM includes an extensive booklist in the back organized by topic and week # so that you can either purchase (or get from the library) additional books and videos as time and interest allow. The Bible and science line up well together in unit study format, studying the names and characteristics of Christ, and investigating similar concepts through the science (i.e., Jesus is the Bread of Life, so you learn about bread, yeast, etc.). The science also has activities related to the state bird study that you do with history & geography.

And with the weekly grid that has your lesson plans laid out for the week, as well as plenty of white space to write on, it makes it very easy to tweak to your personal preferences by marking up that grid. You can use their recommendations for math and LA, for example, or write in your own choices for those subjects. You can do all of what's scheduled, or just part of it. You can move things around on the grid depending on your schedule/appointments/outside activities. Fridays are light so that you can do extra activities/subjects, catch-up work, spend time outdoors, or clean house.

Adventures also includes patriotic songs and symbols, the 50 states, and some of the key people and events of interest to a young child. The author provides a supply list at the beginning of each week so that you can look ahead and make sure you have necessary supplies on hand.

http://www.mfwbooks.com/products/M50/40/5/0/1

Here are links to the Ideas and Archive forums at the MFW website:

http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewforum.php?f=16&sid=09e86d13f96158bdd2d295554afa4bb8

http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewforum.php?f=24&sid=09e86d13f96158bdd2d295554afa4bb8

Edited by Donna A.

We use MFW Adventures at this level. :001_smile: It's fun, simple to use, well laid-out, Biblical Christian but not denomination-specific, and the TM includes an extensive booklist in the back organized by topic and week # so that you can either purchase (or get from the library) additional books and videos as time and interest allow. The Bible and science line up well together in unit study format, studying the names and characteristics of Christ, and investigating similar concepts through the science (i.e., Jesus is the Bread of Life, so you learn about bread, yeast, etc.). The science also has activities related to the state bird study that you do with history & geography.

Adventures also includes patriotic songs and symbols, the 50 states, and some of the key people and events of interest to a young child. The author provides a supply list at the beginning of each week so that you can look ahead and make sure you have necessary supplies on hand.

http://www.mfwbooks.com/products/M50/40/5/0/1

Here are links to the Ideas and Archive forums at the MFW website:

http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewforum.php?f=16&sid=09e86d13f96158bdd2d295554afa4bb8

http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewforum.php?f=24&sid=09e86d13f96158bdd2d295554afa4bb8

I have actually been strongly leaning towards MFW :)

There are some things I have seen though that I would love to use and not sure how to incorporate into MFW so I'm trying to see what I come up with trying to create my own curric/scope and sequence. Kind of feeling like I've gone in a circle and ended right back up at MFW. Maybe God is telling me something? :001_smile:

I have actually been strongly leaning towards MFW :)

There are some things I have seen though that I would love to use and not sure how to incorporate into MFW so I'm trying to see what I come up with trying to create my own curric/scope and sequence. Kind of feeling like I've gone in a circle and ended right back up at MFW. Maybe God is telling me something? :001_smile:

LOL, BTDT! I *always* end up back with MFW. :lol: Everything else makes me feel like I'm trying to reinvent the wheel and takes too much time. It isn't that I couldn't do my own thing. I've had periods where I actually did that. It just takes more time than I have or want to spend. It's much more efficient for me to start with a written plan and then mark it up as we go.... OR to do it exactly as written during those phases when I can't think. ;)

LOL, BTDT! I *always* end up back with MFW. :lol: Everything else makes me feel like I'm trying to reinvent the wheel and takes too much time. It isn't that I couldn't do my own thing. I've had periods where I actually did that. It just takes more time than I have or want to spend. It's much more efficient for me to start with a written plan and then mark it up as we go.... OR to do it exactly as written during those phases when I can't think. ;)

My problem is that I actually enjoy this kind of stuff. I love to research, organize, and plan. I actually day dream about creating my own curriculum company LOL! But its like every time I start creating my own, it looks so similar to MFW that I realize it may just be easier to tweak a little here and there in MFW than to rewrite everything. Hmm....

I'm using Queen's A Living History of Our World volume 1 and we only do about 1 journal entry per subject. Then I add in brainpop, internet activities, and library books to supplement. We also have this: http://handsandhearts.com/handsandheartswestwardexpansionhistorydiscoverykit.aspx and used various Scholastic US History paper crafts.

We are almost to the end and I might buy book 2 or just use the library. I really just want to cover civil war, pioneer life and gold rush.

This year (3rd) we're studying American History through the following resources:

American History Stories Volumes I, II, and III, by Mara L. Pratt

The American Story by Jennifer Strong and others

The Complete Book of US History

The United States of America: A State-by-State Guide [Paperback]

Paddle-to-the-Sea

Tree in the Trail

Living books (fiction, biographies, etc)

Videos on YouTube etc. on the states, Liberty's Kids

The occasional BrainPop.

Christian Liberty Press has a great 2nd grade American History book called Our Nation Under God.....Also What Your 2nd grader Needs to Know has American History in it too. But those aren't very crafty......I've learned, though, that if I inspire them with great books about history they come up with their own crafts and activities that are less forced and more creative!