Menu

Tell me about living in Charlottesville

We're deciding about a job offer in Charlottesville and since I think there are a lot of people here from around there, I'm hoping to learn a little more about C-ville since it's been years since I've been in Virginia.

Our main concern is housing. The salary the first year would be pretty low, so that really restricts where we can live. We'd certainly rent, either a house or an apartment, but since we'd have one car we need to live in a walkable area. I'm used to being able to walk to the library, post office, grocery store, and other things and not use a car at all during the week. My husband is willing to commute up to 30 minutes if it's not in traffic. The job is north of C-ville.

While there are some options in northern C-ville that look like they'd work, it appears that 29 isn't a pedestrian-friendly road, so we're wondering if Stanardsville or Gordonsville would be a better option, especially since the housing looks much less expensive there. How would it be to live there? I'd probably rather live in C-ville since it looks more diverse and liberal, but cheaper housing is a major attraction. The schools don't matter.

Aside from housing, I'd love to hear what it's like to live in that part of Virginia. Like I said, I haven't been in VA in a long time, although we have a lot of friends around DC.

TIA

You are definitely right about 29N not being pedestrian friendly. Gordonsville is super-cute. I wouldn't want to live in Standardsville. Orange is also a really cute town with houses close to shops, the library, etc. The feel of living in one of these towns will be VERY different from living in Charlottesville. But the cost of housing close to downtown and UVA is through-the-roof. If you think your financial situation will change in the next year or so and you could afford something downtown, I think I would rent for the first year and then buy. It would be much harder to sell something in one of the outlying communities. Another area to consider would be Crozet. It's a designated growth area and is more considered to be part of Charlottesville than one of the other areas. It's also still in Albemarle County, if that makes a difference. It's a newer community with mixed development.

If you have more questions about the area, just let me know. I'm a bit jealous!

If DH's job is at all connected with UVA, you should check this out: http://www.virginia.edu/housing/family.php We lived in Copeley Hill for 5 yrs. and loved the location and community (very diverse). Apts. were so-so.

A family we knew (DH was employed at place along 29) lived in Greene Co. in a lovely, modest subdivision. Less diverse than "in town" but not hickville either, I think.

ETA: Crozet is also nice.

Edited by LAS in LA

We were going to move Charlottesville 4 years ago. We were even building a house in Crozet. It is beautiful. I think we would have been very happy there. My dh got a new boss at that job before we moved (delayed because I was in a cast and on crutches) long story short - he hated the new guy and went back to his old job in the ATL. I loved the gas stations that had the gourmet sandwiches and this little grocery store in Crozet that displayed the pictures of the chickens above her eggs!

Cindy, or anyone else, can you tell me more about living in one of the smaller towns like Gordonsville? For now, that looks like our best option since the job is north of the airport. Crozet looks nice, but it's a longer drive that we're hoping for.

Are the library systems based on the counties? Right now my library standards are pretty low (as in, just having a library at all of any sort would be wonderful), but it would be nice to have access to a decent library. Would we need to be in Charlottesville or Abermarle County to get that?

Are there many ethnic grocery stores in Charlottesville? I'm assuming I wouldn't find many in the small towns.

I'm sure I'll have more questions, and I appreciate those who've answered already.

Gordonsville really is a cute town with mountains, vineyards, and Montpelier close by. The sheep dog trials are a lot of fun to go to and we prefer Montpelier over Monticello. They have a great street festival in October each year with local talent, crafts, etc.The library system is excellent. The Gordonsville library is part of the Jefferson-Madison Regional Library system. You can go online to request books and they'll deliver them to your branch from any library in the system. So, no, you would not need to go into Charlottesville for a library. But for specialty grocery stores, you would need to run in to Charlottesville. But, it's a pretty quick trip right down 29S. I wouldn't guess you'd want to do it all the time, but once or twice a month you could run into town and hit whatever markets you want to hit, Whole Foods, City Market, etc. There are some great ethnic markets in Charlottesville along Carlton Road. And there is a Foods of All Nations on 250 across from St. Anne's Belfield. Yoder's (http://www.yoderscountrymarket.net/) would be pretty close to you. We LOVED to drive up to Yoders for grain, dried fruit, yummy sandwiches, and to feed the animals. Also, Graves Mountain Lodge (http://www.gravesmountain.com/) would not be too far away. We love to go to their Apple Festival each year.

I think you would enjoy Gordonsville and it would be convenient for your husband to get to work.

And, Linda, I also love the cute markets with the great sandwiches. :) Bellair was my favorite.

Thanks for the links and the ideas for ethnic groceries, Cindy. If anyone else has any input, I'd love to hear it.

Gordonsville really is a cute town with mountains, vineyards, and Montpelier close by. The sheep dog trials are a lot of fun to go to and we prefer Montpelier over Monticello. They have a great street festival in October each year with local talent, crafts, etc.The library system is excellent. The Gordonsville library is part of the Jefferson-Madison Regional Library system. You can go online to request books and they'll deliver them to your branch from any library in the system. So, no, you would not need to go into Charlottesville for a library. But for specialty grocery stores, you would need to run in to Charlottesville. But, it's a pretty quick trip right down 29S. I wouldn't guess you'd want to do it all the time, but once or twice a month you could run into town and hit whatever markets you want to hit, Whole Foods, City Market, etc. There are some great ethnic markets in Charlottesville along Carlton Road. And there is a Foods of All Nations on 250 across from St. Anne's Belfield. Yoder's (http://www.yoderscountrymarket.net/) would be pretty close to you. We LOVED to drive up to Yoders for grain, dried fruit, yummy sandwiches, and to feed the animals. Also, Graves Mountain Lodge (http://www.gravesmountain.com/) would not be too far away. We love to go to their Apple Festival each year.

I think you would enjoy Gordonsville and it would be convenient for your husband to get to work.

And, Linda, I also love the cute markets with the great sandwiches. :) Bellair was my favorite.