Menu

Do I need my "pay the city $_ property taxes" for filing income tax?

If you're going to declare property tax on your Schedule A deductions, you can find the amount you pay yearly by looking on your county website or by calling your county assessor. If you do declare your property tax as described above, you don't need to submit the form from the county with your 1040 IRS form (at least you don't if you're efiling, and I don't believe you do if you're paper filing. You could include it with your records, though, to have it available -- or just know that if you ever need it, You'll be able to get it from your county assessor).

Hope this helps!

Let me see if I understand. They will send you a bill in March 2012 that you will pay sometime in 2012? If that is so, you cannot deduct it on your 2011 income taxes. You would deduct the property tax that you paid during 2011. And you should have the bill from last year for your records.

If you're going to declare property tax on your Schedule A deductions, you can find the amount you pay yearly by looking on your county website or by calling your county assessor. If you do declare your property tax as described above, you don't need to submit the form from the county with your 1040 IRS form (at least you don't if you're efiling, and I don't believe you do if you're paper filing. You could include it with your records, though, to have it available -- or just know that if you ever need it, You'll be able to get it from your county assessor).

Hope this helps!

We don't declare it as a deduction. It's for a mobile home so it's a tiny, tiny amount of money, lol. Our only deductions that count are the children. The others never add up to even close to enough for a deduction (charity & interest & whatnot). We've accidentally filed without it before because it doesn't show up until April (!!) but now that I know it's not coming for months, I want to know if I can file without declaring my less-than-$90 property tax bill. :glare:

Let me see if I understand. They will send you a bill in March 2012 that you will pay sometime in 2012? If that is so, you cannot deduct it on your 2011 income taxes. You would deduct the property tax that you paid during 2011. And you should have the bill from last year for your records.

OH. Yes, it's a "here's your bill, pay within 30 days, thankyouverymuch." So the bill we get in April we should save for next year?? That makes MUCH more sense. I still have last year's. Woohoo! (Yeah, TurboTax doesn't explain all that, lol.) Thanks!

If you are not claiming the taxes paid as a deduction, then I'm not sure what the property tax has to do with federal income tax.:confused:

Heck if I know, lol. We're new to owning any property and it didn't come with an instruction manual. :tongue_smilie: Official tax document shows up, and I'm only familiar with one kind of tax--the April 14th income type. I'm a 1040EZ girl at heart. :lol: Hence asking here. If I knew, I wouldn't have to ask, eh? ;)