Menu

NOOO!! Left a huge pot of chili out last night... Round #48542 of Would You Eat This?

UPDATE: Originally, I thought I would eat some and then report back here that I had survived, but dh is opposed to anyone eating it. So, sadly, it will all be gone to waste. :(

Oh well, better safe than sorry I suppose. Thanks all for your input!

It was about 64F degrees where the neglected pot sat. I was counting on this chili to be our "convenience food" this weekend between all the coming & going of sports & such.

Anyone??

Edited by chickenpatty

Can you simmer it for awhile, half hour minimum, then eat some yourself, like simmer it now and eat afterwards, to see if you get sick?

I admit I do stuff like that. It drives dh crazy but I never get sick. 64 degrees is concerning. Do you smell any spoilage?

I think I will probably do this. I thought about giving some to the dog, but she eats all kinds of nasty things with no problems. She's no help. :D

No, you really can't safely eat it. The big risk here is salmonella. Most salmonella would be killed by boiling the food again, true, but if the salmonella has had all night to grow in the chili, the percentage of salmonella that will still survive after re-cooking is still very likely to make you really sick. Sorry :-( Can you make a new pot of chili today?

It was about 64F degrees where the neglected pot sat. I was counting on this chili to be our "convenience food" this weekend between all the coming & going of sports & such.

Anyone??

It'd probably depend on what time I turned the heat off. 4pm, probably not. 8pm, probably. Was the lid off or on? I'd consider that the residual heat would have kept the temp high for awhile. IF I were considering still using it, I'd turn it on NOW. That was a great suggestion to heat it up and be the guinea pig for your family by trying it several hours before anyone else.

I never understand the whole "heat it up and it will be fine" school of thought, but I'll admit I am squeamish about food safety at times.

If I remember correctly, sometimes the pathogens produce toxins that are *not* killed by heat. So while you may kill the bacteria, there are still sometimes toxins in spoiled food that are not killed by reheating.

Toss!

I never understand the whole "heat it up and it will be fine" school of thought, but I'll admit I am squeamish about food safety at times.

If I remember correctly, sometimes the pathogens produce toxins that are *not* killed by heat. So while you may kill the bacteria, there are still sometimes toxins in spoiled food that are not killed by reheating.

Toss!

You remember correctly. :D

I wouldn't eat it.

NO.

That is far too long that the food sat at temps that were dangerous.

Two hours at room temp is the max you're supposed to leave food before refigerating it.

It's just not safe to eat food that's been left out for long periods, EVEN IF you boil it/heat it well first. You may kill the bacteria, but there very well could stil lbe toxins.

Bad food poisoning is nothing to risk. And a pot of food left out all night is a BIG risk.

No. I would be mad at myself and throw it out and move on to plan B.

Live bacteria is not your only concern with food that has sat out. It is the toxins that the bacteria may have produced that are also a concern as I understand it. Toxins cannot be boiled away. (For instance in Toxic Shock Syndrome, it's the toxins produced the bacteria that can kill someone. Antibiotics can kill the bacteria emitting the toxins, but do not eliminate the toxins already produced. Same with boiling.)

Edited by Laurie4b

I didn't read all the responses, but my vote is to not eat it. Granted, I've taken so many health dept classes on safe serving and storing that I'm unusually picky in this regard. Four hours would be the maximum to leave something like that setting out and still eat it.

I'd toss it. And cry.

I wouldn't, but I'm squeamish about stuff like that. :001_huh: It happened to me a few weeks ago. :tongue_smilie: I'd err on the side of caution rather than risk intestinal distress. :tongue_smilie:

:iagree: This is me. I would never eat things that are cooked and then left out.