Menu

Calling all "competitive male gymnastics" families

Jujudalu

My sons are in gymnastics here in GA. We seem to have a ton of gymnastic programs around us. I know our gym has competitive groups. My son's are too young and are in the progressive classes at the moment. I do know the community in GA for gymnastics is strong and they pull together. There was an injured 13 year old gymnast just this month that all of the GA association gymnastic groups came together to raise 200,000 to help supplement medical bills, etc. I am sure there are other states with just as strong a community!

Not involved in gymnastics, but we were involved in figure skating. Based on what we witnessed amg the families that really wanted their dd's to become highly competitive, the best way to investigate would be based on coaches. Olympic level coaches are where the top athletes are going to train. So, that is where I would start anyway--investigating top coaches and their training facilities.

We are in CA and love our team but it is small (10 kids). The level 9 on our team is probably going to live at a gym next year. He dreams big and made it to nationals last year. I think he is looking at going to Reno.

It is very pricey so I would worry about jobs before gyms. Without a big enough income this wouldn't be possible. I would want to live in a bigger city area so that there is less travel for competitions.

My son is a level 5 and my 5 year old dreams of competing when he turns 6 (we will probably wait till he is 7). We are content with our small gym with a good coach for now. If my son starts to have bigger dreams then we will look at our options. What you are looking for in a gym will depend on your goals.

Good luck with what ever you choose.

Thank you for your replies. Our situation is that we are in the US temporarily for up to 5 months. We would like to stay if we are able to. We are from New Zealand. My husband doesn't need to find a job in the US all he needs is an internet connection.

My DS13 is a level 9 gymnast and has been competing in NZ since he was 7. Since my husband's employment situation and the fact that we homeschool provides us with certain freedom of movement we thought finding a city with a good gym program would be a good place to start.

I completely agree that we are really searching for a good coach. My son has been blessed to have had two very good coaches in NZ (both Eastern European) that took a personal interest in him. We were in the US for 6 months last year but my son only trained the last few months as he was recovering from an injury. We spent our time in Orem, UT but the coach that my son trained with took up a position as assistant coach at Ohio State University. We are currently in Orem and have been here a month but we are thinking of moving somewhere else for the remainder of our stay. I thought that I might try and tap into this forum's deep well of knowledge on just about any topic to see if someone had a son training in a gym program with an amazing coach in a really nice corner of the US :-). If that is you I am still keen to hear from you! Otherwise I will just keep trolling the internet. We might yet head for Ohio.

Thanks again for the replies.

My son just got into competive gymnastics here in KY, not a gymnastics capitol of the world for sure. That being said apparently this gym is known for its gymnasts, I'm not sure if it just a state thing or what. We've only been in the program a few months. They do have elite levels and kids who have gone on to other gyms & full ride scholarships.

Many of the parents have told me we should go to Chicago if he still has the passion he has now a level 4 as he gets older. Best of luck!

Edited by ClassicalTwins

Thank you for your replies. Our situation is that we are in the US temporarily for up to 5 months. We would like to stay if we are able to. We are from New Zealand. My husband doesn't need to find a job in the US all he needs is an internet connection.

My DS13 is a level 9 gymnast and has been competing in NZ since he was 7. Since my husband's employment situation and the fact that we homeschool provides us with certain freedom of movement we thought finding a city with a good gym program would be a good place to start.

I completely agree that we are really searching for a good coach. My son has been blessed to have had two very good coaches in NZ (both Eastern European) that took a personal interest in him. We were in the US for 6 months last year but my son only trained the last few months as he was recovering from an injury. We spent our time in Orem, UT but the coach that my son trained with took up a position as assistant coach at Ohio State University. We are currently in Orem and have been here a month but we are thinking of moving somewhere else for the remainder of our stay. I thought that I might try and tap into this forum's deep well of knowledge on just about any topic to see if someone had a son training in a gym program with an amazing coach in a really nice corner of the US :-). If that is you I am still keen to hear from you! Otherwise I will just keep trolling the internet. We might yet head for Ohio.

Thanks again for the replies.

Welcome from a fellow Orem-ite. :D We've been with Arete, which seems to have a fabulous competition record, but dd was not competing herself so I don't have personal experience with that.