Menu

American Bulldogs, Boxers (the dog), other breeds--what to get as next dog?

Pen

Starting to try to figure out what our next breed (or mix) will be. Our current dog is wonderful, but mixed don't know what, she was an adult "rescue", so cannot get it again. (She is around 12, and we'd like a puppy while she is still around.) My son has become enamored of American bulldogs from the movie Incredible Journey Homeward Bound. He is also interested in boxers. I have never seen an American bulldog in real life. I've read a little, but cannot tell whether it could work or not. Boxers which I have at least met seem possible, though I am concerned about whether they would be good enough with children and some sources say they are short lived and have health problems due to the pushed in muzzle. Does anyone know much about these two breeds?

Other dogs under consideration are Labrador, or other retrievers, collie. Possibly there are many good candidates I've not even thought of.

We are in a country area with room for a medium to biggish dog, active outdoors, but calm indoors (during homeschool, you know) would be ideal. Shorter fur is better than long. There is a bit of a conflict between wanting a bit of protection and watch dog, vs. wanting a very social dog. (The current dog manages to be a good balance by learning who is a friend quickly, but very alert to strangers...generally though, this seems to be hard to get in the same dog.) My son wants a dog who will play fetch and swim. I want one who is very trainable, and am a bit worried about the good fetchers behavior around things like chickens and cats--a dog who can be a decent "farm dog" would be nice. Legal prohibitions exist with regard to certain breeds--including German shepherd (which would otherwise be a potential candidate) and a few others. Anything which tends to go on a scent trail and disappear would not be good in our circumstances. St. Bernard & Great Dane have been eliminated, though we like them very very much, as, too big. Snoring loudly or otherwise keeping the adults up at night would be a problem.

Then too there is the should it be male or female question.

Thoughts? Experience?

Edited by Pen

We have a Boxer that we got before Thanksgiving. Love her. If you do some Internet research on Boxers, you will find some breed characteristics. Ours is very typical of the characteristics we found.

They actually are listed as being very good with kids. I have a 6 year old and and 8 1/2 year old and she does great. She also does great with my Maltese. Our Boxer is actually very good with other dogs and with people coming up to her. Our Maltese is good with neither.

We sometimes have to work on not jumping or getting too exuberant, both of which are also typical. They are high energy dogs, so they need a good exercise outlet. Because of the muzzle and short coat, they aren't extremely cold or heat tolerant. Our dog hates the cold and I walk her later in the day, when it's warmer and sunny. In summer, I'm sure I'll have to walk her early in the morning.

Our vet says that he is seeing more and more Boxers as family dogs. I don't know about life expectancy or long term problems. I know most bigger dogs have shorter lives, so I figured the same with Boxers.

Ours is a boxer mix, she gets along beautifully with our 7 year old lab mix...she is very clingy, does not like to leave our side, if she plays in the pasture, she comes back and 'checks in' with humans every 3 minutes...our other dog is just happy to be out and would not dream of coming back to check in :) Here is her sweet face! :)

Christmas20112119.jpg

We have had American Bulldogs and they can be very good family pets. BUT, you need to be a firm leader and stay on top of training your dog. Also, I think it's important to be able to see the mom and dad of the puppy you are getting - "crazy" finds its way into this breed pretty easily.

My favorite was our female, Cindy. We had so much fun with her! She was smart as a whip and learned several tricks easily. My favorite was having her shut the front door.

Oh, one more thing - if you do get an AB, try to socialize him or her as much and as often as you can. Give them lots of different experiences with lots of different people. I think it makes for a more relaxed and a safer dog.

I agree about the american bulldog. We've got a mix and he's a great dog but they require a firm hand and impermeable boundaries.

I hate the fact that I must mention...you might need to note for insurance/ordinance purposes that American Bulldog is considered a "bully breed" aka "pitbull" ("EEEEK!")

That said, our two pitties are the best dogs we've ever owned. Properly raised, you can't find a better variety of pet.

Pitbulls are traditionally family dogs. Only recently have they been raised poorly. Here's some interesting info:

America's Babysitter.

http://www.ywgrossman.com/photoblog/?p=676

http://www.ywgrossman.com/photoblog/?p=1103

For Over 100 Years Americans Knew Exactly What Pit Bulls Represented. America.

http://www.ywgrossman.com/photoblog/?p=780

There’s Only One Difference Between These Two Dogs. Their Owners.

http://www.ywgrossman.com/photoblog/?p=837

My in-laws own, show and breed bulldogs. I wouldn't take one if you paid me. My FIL is a vet and you pretty much have to be a vet to own one. They have poor health and need constant health monitoring. They can't even give birth on their own and need to be delivered c-section. They often have heart problems and allergies that will need constant medication.

The NYT just ran an article in November titled "Can the Bulldog be saved" and you should read it before buying one. A true bulldog is purchased from a breeder (remember they have to be delivered by a vet so only a breeder will have the $$ to pay for that) and they cost around 700$ if not more. I have met lots of bully breeders/trainer and they are all very nice people. For them, breeding is for love of the breed. They have such a high puppy death rate and so many medical needs that I can't imagine people make much money out of breeding them.

I am not sure they make great pets for kids. They overheat very easily and can't run for very long. They cannot go swimming because their heads are so heavy they will sink. A couple of dogs owned by my ILs have broken legs jumping off the bed or couch.

They have terrible digestive problems. I have seen a roomful of adults gag because one of the dogs passed gas. It amazing.

Can they make sweet and loving pets? Yes. I think they can. I think they make great pets for people without much space and who like to take the dog out for a very sedate walk around the block twice a day. But, they are expensive to own and don't live very long. They generally live for about 7 years or so.

We have had 2 boxers. We ADORE them! Our older one died at 10 from tumors in his colon and cardiomegaly (enlarged heart). Our current boxer, 11-1/2 (we got him when he was 5-1/2 weeks!) has had cancerous tumors also and now seizures in his old age, indicating a tumor in his brain, though no tests have been done to confirm. Tumors are extremely common, as well as the sudden death due to cardiomegaly. Their life expectancy is 9-12 years old. My MIL has had them, and one died of sudden death and the other died at 9 years old from complications of not being "fixed."

All the above info about boxers is accurate. They are extremely good with kids and generally get along with other dogs. They are exuberant in their young age and tend to "box" with their front legs and jump up a lot, though we corrected the jumping easily. They are jolly and comical. They are very smart IMO and housetrain quickly, especially if someone is home with them and uses a crate. They can be good watchdogs, but seem to get along fine with people we admit to our home. Even in his old age, Travis gets playful with us and runs around like crazy in our fenced in backyard. That's one thing, they really need either a lot of area to run or be walked every day. Otherwise, they get naughty. Seriously. Ask me how I know. ;)

We leave ours in our home without any supervision while we go places, and he is a champ! We love, love, love boxers, and will get another one after our current buddy has passed. :001_smile:

Old English Bulldogge :D I wuv dem. Here's the kennel club.

Not Old English Bulldog, though they are awesome, they've such health problems. And the American Bulldogs have longer legs.

Look at that face! ( joyful acres Morhpeus) I want to squish his face up and kiss him. Lol, I'm weird, I know.

IMG_0486_000.jpg

Labs just have waay too much spastic energy for us. My Dad has had nothing but Collies, and I can't stand them. At all. Boxers are fun, but they're also full of energy. IN a house full of intoverts, that energetic dog buzz doesn't work. :-) I need calm, laid back, lie at my feet content.

Edited by justamouse

Old English Bulldogge :D I wuv dem. Here's the kennel club.

Not Old English Bulldog, though they are awesome, they've such health problems. And the American Bulldog's have longer legs.

Look at that face! ( joyful acres Morhpeus) I want to squish his face up and kiss him. Lol, I'm weird, I know.

Labs just have waay too much spastic energy for us. My Dad has had nothing but Collies, and I can't stand them. At all. Boxers are fun, but they're also full of energy. IN a house full of intoverts, that energetic dog buzz doesn't work. :-) I need calm, laid back, lie at my feet content.

I agree. I just want to talk baby talk now. ;)

Edited by 3peasinapod

Not to derail too much, but have you considered the great Dane? They're great fun and are active for a while but then love to lay by the fire and chill too!

They don't eat much more than a lab, and don't really require much room to run either, short hair so no furry mess.

Tons of them available at rescue. Great family pets!

Oh, and they have those...lips! Our Sharona:

19457_244520861076_637496076_4689107_4070419_n.jpg

Sound asleep in this shot, it's her favored sleeping position. Lord knows why...

19457_244524506076_637496076_4689128_1640997_n.jpg

Edited by bbkaren

Super chill; ours is about 3 y.o., probably around 120 lbs. She runs around and plays with the other dogs, bounding around like Tigger from Winnie the Pooh, but only for a while...then she comes in and roasts herself in front of the fire.

We can tell when she's walking past the piano because she plays it with her tail.

Oh, and she talks when we talk to her: "Woo-woo-woo-woooh!" She's a great big sister to the other three nincompoops.

Hi, thank you for all the replies so far, hope you'll keep 'em comin'!

I thought I'd eliminated the Dane due to size, but the comment that it is calm inside and doesn't eat much more than lab, put it back in my consideration. (Though my son says he is set on boxer--but we all know the parent who is at home takes care of the dog mainly, so it will be primarily my choice--but need all to be happy with it and welcoming to new dog.) We have a quite small house, but acres of room to romp (can that work?). Do they* in general like to fetch or swim--these are fairly critical from my son's pov?

(* I realize that each individual would be different, but generally, for example, most Labs, Irish Setters, etc. do like to fetch and swim. Our current dog does not like to fetch or swim particularly--and her feet were clearly not designed for swimming as they are quite small compared to her body and not webbed.)

Do boxers* like to fetch and or swim? Boxer is sounding more and more possible despite the health issues.

If anyone has had both a boxer and a Dane a comparison between these two could help. Also I am very familiar with Labs, goldens, and rottweilers (had a lovely, sweetest dog in the world one, and a not so sweet one, both), so any comparisons to these could help me to understand, for example, energy level as compared to ______.

American Bulldogs are considered pitbulls? really? I thought they were totally different? If that is true we cannot get one.

Why do you, the person who dislikes collies dislike them?

Unfortunately there are an armload of breeds that are commonly considered "pitbulls" and are discriminated against by municipalities and insurance companies, without the individual dog having the opportunity to redeem him/herself. Different entities consider different breeds "pitbulls".

The great Dane is fabulous in the house; she doesn't run around like the others tend to. In fact, she "hollers" at them to knock it off when they start horsing around in the house.

None of our dogs are huge "ball-chasers", and we don't have access to a swimming hole on our property so they've never...[swum]? lol ...been swimming since we've had them.

I imagine they're not ball-chasers because they occupy themselves by playing with each other. If there were just one dog in our house, we'd probably be playing a lot of fetch.

I don't have any experience with boxers but I do know they're great family pets too.

There are so many great dogs out there, it's hard to choose one! I guess that's why we have four.

Have you considered going to the pound and finding a puppy...of whatever breed...that you connect with?

One thing I can recommend against, and that's a hound. Our Reba, whom we adore and is a sweet, loving little princess, is the most stubborn dog I've ever known. She leaves the yard (in spite of the heavy-duty invisible fencing around our yard) without hesitation, yelping as she crosses the boundary and gets a shock. She follows her nose deep into the woods so we also have to have a remote trainer on her to call her back home. So this skinny little 50 lb. dog has two big boxes hanging off her collar and still does what she wants, when she wants. I've never known a dog like her, to disregard pain to follow its instincts. Very frustrating. Love her though, when she's home and calm!

I like collies' personalities generally, but don't like a long-haired dog and I don't care for the pointy muzzle (in spite of our redbone's slender, pointed nose lol). We like some meat around the nose and mouth; it's just more...smooshy and kissable.

Edited by bbkaren

I adore Great Danes, but could never have one, they have a very short life expectancy...that would break my heart! Our lab mix lived to 16, our pure bred beagle died of an undetected heart arrythmia in front of me last October, she was only three. We have had pure bred Old English Sheep dogs, all had some skin affliction....I have just tired of the overbreeding of some of these popular breeds and the horrific conditions that come with them...it's pound puppies for us all the way...I'm too tenderhearted to go through another one, oh and the maltese had horrible joint/hip issues...:(

Our boxer (Jasmine, Jazzy, or Jazz :)), loves to play fetch. That's how we get her some quick exercise when it's too cold for a long walk. Balls, toys, frisbees, etc...

I don't know about swimming, as we've never tried. I googled and they CAN swim, but it looks like people had to teach/encourage it.

Well, if you asked why my dad liked Collies, you'd be there forever. It's just his kinda dog. He had a super smart, incredible Collie when he was a kid, and he's been forever trying to find that dog again. He likes shepherds, he likes how they protect kids.

Why don't I like them? All the Collies I've known have been super temperamental, and the kids couldn't get near them (which, hello, Dad, you like them for the kids, right?). FOR HIM, they were great. It's a him, his dog, and the truck type thing.:001_smile: But even the ones we had when I was a kid were just always cranky.

And the hair...oh the hair.

If you want them to play fetch-well, I think picking a good dog for the family is more important. You should see my Dobie play fetch. :lol: You throw the ball, and he looks at you, like, "You want me to do what?"

Edited by justamouse

If you want them to play fetch-well, I think picking a good dog for the family is more important. You should see my Dobie play fetch. :lol: You throw the ball, and he looks at you, like, "You want me to do what?"

I do agree with this, sort of. I think that breeds have personality tendencies, but within that, there will be individual personality differences. Generally, a dog breed described as playful, exuberant, high energy...is more likely to play games. Proper training could transfer that energy to playing fetch. I guess I'm saying you're more likely to get a boxer to play fetch than a Bassett hound. But, you could still get a Boxer that refuses or a Bassett that gives it a shot. Now with swimming, I'd guess it's physically impossible for the really short, stout dogs to swim.

I do agree with this, sort of. I think that breeds have personality tendencies, but within that, there will be individual personality differences. Generally, a dog breed described as playful, exuberant, high energy...is more likely to play games. Proper training could transfer that energy to playing fetch. I guess I'm saying you're more likely to get a boxer to play fetch than a Bassett hound. But, you could still get a Boxer that refuses or a Bassett that gives it a shot. Now with swimming, I'd guess it's physically impossible for the really short, stout dogs to swim.

Very true.

(It's the Basset ears. They weigh the poor babies down. :D)

We have a boxer, she is 11 months old. She is just the most adorable dog on the planet, gentle and loving with the kids, loyal, funny, playful, full of energy. We play fetch with her a lot, although often she turns it into a game of "get it off me if you can" LOL funny girl. I haven't got her to swim, but she will wade in the water at the beach if the water is warm. She is reasonably obedient and getting better all the time as we work with her.

We've never had a dog before, I chose a boxer because of the fact that they were described as good family dogs, great with kids and loads of fun. DH wanted a cocker spaniel, I went online and looked at YouTube videos of both breeds, boxers are hilarious, cockers looked cute but kinda dull. But the #1 reason that I choose a boxer was that every single person who I met who had had one would get another boxer if they got another dog. I did not find the same with most other breeds. It took a long time though, from deciding on the breed to actually finding a dog was about 4 months because I was really careful about finding a dog from a good breeder who cares about the breed and isn't just in it for the money, it took a while as there are plenty of dodgy breeders and puppy farms out there. In Australia ear cropping and tail docking are banned, so her ears and tail are intact. That tail can wag her whole body when she is happy!

She has been hard work, no doubt about it, she is full of energy and needs a firm hand but it's definitely worth it. She was a bit nippy with the kids at first, but we worked really hard on making that unacceptable and she stopped pretty quick. She really doesn't like heat, once it gets over about 30C/86F, she tends to lay on the floor all day, goes off her food and pants. We keep her wiped with damp cloths and give her lots of water. She jumps up at visitors which is doing my head in, but we will get there with that one too.

Our family is unanimous that she was a great choice.

Our boxer (Jasmine, Jazzy, or Jazz :)), loves to play fetch. That's how we get her some quick exercise when it's too cold for a long walk. Balls, toys, frisbees, etc...

I don't know about swimming, as we've never tried. I googled and they CAN swim, but it looks like people had to teach/encourage it.

That's my Boxer's name...and all the nicknames too!! She will fetch...loves it!

Travis doesn't fetch. :glare: Our former boxer did wonderfully, but Travis is a little twerp sometimes. He'll run to get it and then keep it away from you. Anyway, if we trained him more or fetched with him more, I know he would, at least in his younger years. He was 3 years old when we moved to a house with a fenced in back yard, and while his energy level never changed, he was not as naughty as in running out the door and not letting us catch him. Now, at 11-1/2, and when we first got the fence, we can keep the door open and he won't dash out. I am so sad, as his time is coming near. What a loyal, loving dog.

Anyhow, probably all pure bred dogs have their health issues, so our health issues we are having have only been in the last year or so, and 10 years of his life were extremely healthy. Now I want to get another boxer puppy; I've been looking up different breeders, trying to differentiate between the good ones and not-so-good ones, but it is proving to be difficult.

We've had both boxers and labs. Lab, Domino, was an excellent swimmer and would play fetch for hours in any condition. Balls were her life. People would comment on her swimming abilities all the time and she could outswim any dog anywhere we went. She was a lovely, loyal dog, great with people.

Our boxer, Maxine, was a rescue. I loved, loved, loved her and would get another boxer in a heartbeat. She was a bit high strung and had every health issue that a boxer could have. She played fetch as well, loved it, loved to run. She could swim, did an excellent job once dh got in the water and taught her. She never loved it like Domino but could and would swim.

I would get another boxer if kids didn't have allergies. I love their joyful approach to life, their exuberance, just their outlook. They make me smile.

I will say both breeds from about 9 months to 1.5 years take a lot of work. Their energy level is amazing at this age. (or at least ours were)

Have fun choosing a dog. When we were trying to choose a breed that we liked we'd go to dog parks, dog shows, anywhere there would be dogs and meet them, talk to owners, observe. It helped us get a picutre of what living with that particular breed would entail. We ended up with a Portuguese Water Dog (he fetches and swims) and a mini poodle for dd who wanted a lap dog. We've been happy with our choice despite the need to groom them.

Our boxer has been the best dog EVER! We got her when she was 6 months old for my oldest's 4th birthday. She is coming up on turning four this year.

When she finally does pass, which will be devastating, we will definitely be getting another Boxer. I've never seen a dog that is so good with kids. They lay all over her, mess with her ears and tail, and one even tried to ride her. But she has never nipped, growled or anything aggressive towards the kids. If she gets tired of them, she gets up and goes to get in her crate.

We live where it gets super hot (100 degrees is normal for August) with high humidity, but we just let her come inside when it's really hot or cold. But her favorite place to be is outside running around with the kids in our backyard. She won't play fetch because she finds "keep away" way too entertaining!

Here is a picture of Zadie the day we got her:

So, more thoughts and knowledge, experience, opinions would still be appreciated.

Today my son saw what looked like a boxer, we followed 3 blocks till we could talk to the owner...learned this one was a rescue and not quite meet-able, but were told of a store where the owner has one and usually brings it in. ....

Apparently he is getting to like them enough to consider keep-away as okay instead of fetch.

Edited by Pen