Menu

What math do you use?

scrapbabe

What math program do you use for K-6?  

1. 1. What math program do you use for K-6?

• Math Mammoth
    • CLE
    • Horizons
    • Saxon
    • Singapore
    • Right Start
    • MUS
    • Miquon
    • Teaching Textbooks
    • Something Else (please tell)

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use BJU math and really like it, but I would only use the newer 3rd editions of each grade level. I've tried other math programs (Horizons and CLE), but came back to BJU. Ds understands math well, so I don't think the program I choose will really matter. He takes after me (I have a math degree,) and just gets it.

BJU is thorough, colorful and fun feeling, and the lessons are a great length for his busy, boyness! It teaches using manipulatives for those that need hands on, too. I love the TM and the CD that's included with lots of enrichment and extras.

We just finished up a 3rd grade LifePac, which we won't use again for math. We are starting 4th grade Abeka next week, and we also have the Life of Fred books that my son loves.

I'm really amazed at how many people use CLE. I hadn't heard much about it before coming to this forum, it seems very popular but I'm not familiar with it.

We just finished up a 3rd grade LifePac, which we won't use again for math. We are starting 4th grade Abeka next week, and we also have the Life of Fred books that my son loves.

I'm really amazed at how many people use CLE. I hadn't heard much about it before coming to this forum, it seems very popular but I'm not familiar with it.

CLE is a good, solid math program that has gentle introduction of new topics with lots of review. If ds needed a spiral program, that is the one we would be going with for sure.

I voted Math Mammoth because that is what we are doing this year for grade 2 (since Jan). However, my dd likes variety to keep maths interesting, so we use a mix of programs.

We used MEP Y1 last year (Jan-Oct), then Miquon in Nov-Dec. We may go back to MEP or Miquon again this year.

I also have the Key To... workbooks and some Scholastic e-books for later years.

• 3 weeks later...

With my older 2, I tried all but 3 on your Poll. They settled on CLE and are now moving to VideoText.

With my younger 3, we are starting with R&S. I tried CLE and McRuffy Color Math and both bombed, but R&S just clicks. I plan to stay with it through at least 3rd grade.

Voted MUS because it is our main curriculum along with xtramath.org and other little supplemental stuff but we just added in Teaching Textbooks on the side. Thinking about adding Mathematical Reasoning(CTCo) in next year too just for the test prep alone but can't quite commit myself to do 3 math curriculums=D

Free Waldorf Math Grades 1-3 from Africa

Ray's Arithmetic from the 1880s that is more use friendly than the New Ray's and the revised New Ray's

Book 1 Book 2 Book 3 Key to Book 2 and 3

I do use the new Test Examples that kind of matches up to the above books. Answers are included.

I prefer to rip apart, scan and print these books out as worksheets. The books are adorable but awkward to use as is.

Strayer-Upton

I'm still trying to remediate the loss of ability to divide due to my seizures. It's slow going. I think I lost more than the memory of how to divide and something more substantial.

The Waldorf math has turned me onto the idea of "whole to parts" and I'm finding it much easier to learn addition and multiplication tables by factors of a number, than the traditional way of a number added to or multiplied by a variety of other numbers. For example to study the number 12 as a whole, and all the ways numbers can be added and multiplied to equal 12. The older textbooks focus on whole to parts.

Edited by Hunter

EEEK....I would NEVER use just one math program. With my bigs, we used 2-4 for each level, depending. They are very math savvy folks and I wanted to address that. Seems that if a kid struggled, it would be beneficial to use more than one math program too.

We are using a couple things right now but mostly "mommy math." I'm not positive what I'm using with the littles long term.

Other.

I used Calvert Math for the earliest years, Saxon for two of my kids in 4th-6th (and up), Math Mammoth for another kid, I'm looking to switch my middle to Teaching Textbooks at some point, and I'm not sure what we'll be using for my next kindergartener. My first three taught me that there's no universally best program for every child.

I've used a variety of things: different programs for different abilities.

Oldest son (the math genius who's now teaching grades 6, 7 & 8 science at a private school): MCP, Rod & Staff (used by the umbrella school we enrolled in when we started HS'ing), Miquon, Saxon.

Oldest daughter (non-math minded, needed extra time before she was ready for Algebra, but she made it through a Great Books college that included Euclid, Ptolemy, Descartes and Einstein!): ABeka, Miquon, Saxon, Key to... books.

Youngest daughter and son (both good at math, but not geniuses): ABeka & Singapore.

All of them did Saxon Algebra 1 & 2, Jacob's Geometry and various amounts of Saxon Advanced Math.

We are no longer in the K-6 range, moved onto prealgebra topics, but when we were doing that level of math, we did a combination of Rightstart Math, K12 Math, and Mastering Mathematics. If I could go back in time I would probably start with Rightstart Math and go through all the levels. Mastering Mathematics is a close second because I like the uncluttered workbooks that are easy for visual spatial kids to read.