Menu

Lang Arts Curriculum needed for 4th grader

AJ1972

Have you ever looked at Michael Clay Thompson's LA program(MCT)? I have just discovered this myself and my books havn't come yet in the mail, but it might be worth looking into. Here's the link. There are different components to it, so you can pick and choose what LA you want covered. There is lots of sample pages too, and perhaps you can find a used set on this forum. Goodluck; there's a lot of good ones out there!

http://www.rfwp.com/pages/michael-clay-thompson/

BTW: I also love Shurley English too. It's all laid out for you to teach your child grammar, writing, and vocab too.

I just began MCT with my 9 year old son. I LOVE it. He has been begging for a program that would show him the big picture with grammar. It doesn't just creep along at a "grade level" pace. He is disappointed when we finish the reading for the day. The only thing I add is diagramming.

Grammar: FLL4 is so easy to use!

Spelling: SWO (ditto!)

Writing: There is no easy answer to writing.... If you want ready made narration, copywork and dictation, try WWE (possibly starting with level 3 - I think there's a placement test somewhere?) OR if you want someone else to do the teaching there's IEW's SWI-A. Or if you want cheap there is Writing Strands - which people either seem to love or hate.

For literature: you could browse catalogs like Sonlight, Veritas PRess, etc and come up with a list to match your history period. The WTM gives guidance on having them write a summary (or maybe a notebook page) after they read. Or you can search here for CHOLL, a literature program written by a member here on the forum that helps you implement WTM suggestions. (The WTM has suggested reading lists also!)