Menu

Which type of calculator is best for ACT?

I would say that whatever calculator they know how to use well. A graphing calculator might be helpful for a few problems, but it's not really necessary for the ACT. My ds used his TI-84, so I think a TI-83 plus would be fine as well. The ACT website ought to have guidelines on the types of calculators that are allowed.

HTH,

Brenda

Thanks for your replies. The reason I asked was because the ACT website was not specific. I assumed that since it wasn't listed that it was permitted but I wanted to confirm that.

I googled the question and on College Confidential it said it was fine.

I was also asking because on the ACT prep book it said it was better to use a graphing calculator. I know for the SAT an uncomplicated calculator was recommended.

Thanks for your advice.

One with working batteries, haha ... :glare:

Yes...bring a calculator. My DD took the ACT test today and did not have a calculator. Afterwards she said it was easy except for Math...wished she had a calculator...MOM completely forgot!

Luckily, she only took the test as practice....9th grade...so we can see where she's at.

Similar experience today for us ... my son remembered his calculator, BUT he'd lent it to someone in his physics class yesterday who apparently removed two of his batteries!!!:glare::glare::glare:

So my son goes to turn it on during the test and ... no display! Aargh.

My son was also taking the test for practice, but -- he's 16 and in 11th grade. (He's signed up to take it again in April and June.) He learned a big lesson -- always check your equipment in advance!! I figure this lesson will stand him in good stead for the rest of his life -- on subsequent ACT tests, tests in college, projects and presentations when he has a job, etc. I deliberately didn't micromanage him, b/c he's 16 and doesn't seem to want it anymore. And he learned more than if I *had* fussed and asked if he had backup batteries, etc. He would've rolled his eyes. NOW he'll check it himself!

Sorry to rant ... just so mad at that kid, but ... my son did learn a big lesson :001_smile:

My girls have used the Casio 2-line scientific calculator for the SAT.

http://www.amazon.com/Casio-Advanced-Scientific-Calculator-Textbook/dp/B000A3IAHM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1329111142&sr=8-2

I prefer the Casio graphing calculators to the TI versions. I think Casio is much more intuitive. It's also a lot cheaper.

http://www.amazon.com/Casio-FX-9750GII-WE-Graphing-Calculator/dp/B00154GSQA/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1329111308&sr=1-1