Menu

Is there a benefit/reason to own...

curlylocks

multiple copies of The Well-Trained Mind?

I don't currently own a copy and realize that things get updated from time to time.

I believe I saw in my research that there are 3 copyright dates available. (1999, 2004, and 2009)

So, is there information in one or the other that changed significantly, but would be beneficial to have?

Thanks in advance...

The logic stage history changed a great deal in this last version as did many recs for grammar stage to Peace Hill Press books. I would say it is worth getting the recent version.

Personally:

If I didn't own a copy, I would buy the latest, as it has the most current information on available curriculum.

But I would also be on the lookout at used book stores/sales for an older copy to have as reference.

I bought the first edition, used, when we first started homeschooling nearly six years ago. I love that book. It is the one that I have all marked up.

But when SWB came out with the latest, I bought it. I do like to research back and forth between the editions, look at what has changed and what has stayed. Both will always have a place on my bookshelf.

I think I would be perfectly content with the just owning the latest, if I didn't already own the first.

Personally:

If I didn't own a copy, I would buy the latest, as it has the most current information on available curriculum.

But I would also be on the lookout at used book stores/sales for an older copy to have as reference.

I bought the first edition, used, when we first started homeschooling nearly six years ago. I love that book. It is the one that I have all marked up.

But when SWB came out with the latest, I bought it. I do like to research back and forth between the editions, look at what has changed and what has stayed. Both will always have a place on my bookshelf.

I think I would be perfectly content with the just owning the latest, if I didn't already own the first.

:iagree:

I am very glad I have the newest because there have been so many updates. But, I like having the first edition (I bought it when it came out) for reference. Sometimes I don't like the current offering in whatever subject and I find it helpful to look back and see what other things were considered.

And the logic stage history is MUCH easier to implement.

I only own the latest edition but I looked into it and someone told me that in order to get the best use out of the book to stick with the recent one. It will have the most active list of recommendations for curricula and such. There are new products, eBooks, and resources constantly coming onto the market and the newest edition will have a more accurate list of them all.

I had multiple copies and it was nice to loan the older one out to friends who were thinking about homeschooling. ;) I Finally gave it to my SIL. If you're looking at buying just one, I'd get the newest. I felt like the one major advantage with the older versions was to see what SWB recommended before she wrote her own curricula.

I do not own a version of the book, but I asked my library to order the 3rd edition (and they did!) so now I just check it out when I feel the need to flip through it again.

I have read both the 2nd and 3rd. I did not read the 3rd edition entirely yet, but I really liked the 2nd edition.