Menu

TOG Rhetoric question - teacher notes for Geography & Fine Arts

If you are teaching TOG Rhetoric, how do you use the teacher notes for geography and fine arts? I know the history notes are used for the discussion, but do you just add in the others and lecture from them?

Since I've been teaching Dialectic and Upper Grammar I haven't really paid much attention to those "other" teacher notes, but now that I'm planning for next year with a R student, I think I need to incorporate those geo and art pages somehow.

Thanks!

Kind of an informal combo of lecture and any Socratic questions my feeble brain comes up with.

We are in a very small co-op where I teach R lit, but the two other students are doing D history so my oldest sits in while another mom teaches that. She has focused on the geography this year a lot so I haven't gotten too concerned about home coverage for my oldest on that and in Year 1 art is minimal compared to future years.

Just one word of caution -- unless you are working toward a fine arts elective credit, don't even worry about the fine arts sections of the teacher notes.

The R level is full enough that you need to consider which credits you want to work toward. Do not attempt to do everything! It would be an extraordinary student who could manage a credit in history (including geography), a literature credit, an additional 1/2 to full credit in composition and GUM, a math credit, a science credit, a foreign language credit, a 1/2 credit in government, a church history or Bible credit, AND 1/4-1/2 credit in fine arts. That doesn't even include any interest-directed credits, logic or rhetoric, music, phys ed ...

Just one word of caution -- unless you are working toward a fine arts elective credit, don't even worry about the fine arts sections of the teacher notes.

The R level is full enough that you need to consider which credits you want to work toward. Do not attempt to do everything! It would be an extraordinary student who could manage a credit in history (including geography), a literature credit, an additional 1/2 to full credit in composition and GUM, a math credit, a science credit, a foreign language credit, a 1/2 credit in government, a church history or Bible credit, AND 1/4-1/2 credit in fine arts. That doesn't even include any interest-directed credits, logic or rhetoric, music, phys ed ...

Thank you! I had (at one time) remembered to not do all of Rhetoric, but in my nervousness about planning high school, I'd forgotten. I think for 9th grade TOG we will do history, geography, and lit. I'll wait until we're studying the Renaissance to do a Fine Art credit.