Menu

How long to adjust?

....back to PS? My older kids are really struggling. There has been benchmarks tests and they are now gearing up for the Texas Star test, and my kids are not testing well.

They are doing fine socially, love going to school, but their test scores are horrible!

They are in tutoring 2 afternoons a week and come home with a minimum 1 hr of homework +reading. I am starting to notice that the consistent low scores are taking a toll on their confidence, but I am not entirely sure where the line is. Some of this is a lack of paying attention to details on multiple choice tests and I think the low scores are needed to give the kids a bit of motivation. OTOH, I really dislike how these tests are set up. They are 10 question micro tests that try to combine as much info into one multiple choice question as possible. My boys, in particular, are struggling with synthesizing all the information in the question and applying it to the 4 possible answers.

I do not feel like there is a lot I can do to help them beyond the homework support they already get. They are gone from 6:30 am until after 4pm. We moved out to the country so they can spend more time outdoors, but I war between letting them out to play and making them come in to work on more academic pursuits.

So, I guess I have a couple questions. They have only been back in PS a month...will this get better? What else can I do to help them? What should I realistically be okay with as far as academic performance? Meaning this is 4th and 5th grade, should I just support and encourage and hope they find their way? :confused:

This may not help much, but this IS the time of year for state tests. They typically happen in February and March for our school system. The schools stress over them and a lot of pressure is put on students to perform well. Some students become physically ill worrying about them.

Afterwards, there's not a lot of stress put on students other than to prepare them for the next grade.

I can't comment on your overall situation (since I'm not there), but it is a stressful time of year. I hope things get better for you all.

This may not help much, but this IS the time of year for state tests. They typically happen in February and March for our school system. The schools stress over them and a lot of pressure is put on students to perform well. Some students become physically ill worrying about them.

Afterwards, there's not a lot of stress put on students other than to prepare them for the next grade.

I can't comment on your overall situation (since I'm not there), but it is a stressful time of year. I hope things get better for you all.

Thanks! It is good to know it is testing season. ;) I am just torn between wanting to push them and being frustrated with this actual process. Right now, we do not have the time to really do afterschooling, because we are doing so much tutoring and homework. Maybe this year it's just going to have to be summer school. :D

:grouphug:

Do they know to read the questions first, then read the story, and that it is important to pay attention to boring details in the boring story? :lol::lol::lol:

(That was my advice to my daughter after her first ITBS when I noticed that she did better on the stories that were more interesting, her answers were correlated to the degree of boringness of the story, not the difficulty of the reading selection or the questions.) Although, I personally thought all the stories were boring! However, she liked a few that were about animals, she loves animals.

Not only is this the time of year that state testing becomes extremely stressful, it may be worse in Texas this year than it has been in previous years. With the STAR test replacing the TAKS test, there is a lot of uncertainty and unpredictability that is playing into the mix.

Do you think your kids are "behind"? Or is it just that they don't know how to test? See, they start teaching kids VERY early how to test. My daughter, in Kindy, is learning to read things a certain way, underlining, circling, etc various bits of information. By 3rd grade, even (possibly especially) struggling students are proficient in marking up the questions, selections, and problems in order to read the questions "just right" in order to pass the test. IN some ways, I think this is beneficial. These give the kids key clues in order to figure out the answers. It gives them a plan of attack. However, it certainly is a learned skill and I'm not sure your kids can learn it within a month or three. And unfortunately, 5th is a high stakes year.

What do the teachers think? What about the kids?

No doubt, this year is extra hard on everyone because no one has taken or taught to a STAAR test before.

Would they be sent to summer school because of poor test peformance? In CO, the state standardized test have no relation to the school grades. When my ds was in school, I'd always tried to not stress the tests. They matter much more to the teacher and the school than to an individual child. If the tests have no realtion to the grades or the kids placement in the future, I'd suggest helping the kids keep the tests in perspective. They really test how well a child can take that test, not how smart the child is. Help them to relax. It is an elementary test, not the SAT. They're aren't doomed to a dismal future because of these tests.

Do they know to read the questions first, then read the story, and that it is important to pay attention to boring details in the boring story? :lol::lol::lol:

(That was my advice to my daughter after her first ITBS when I noticed that she did better on the stories that were more interesting, her answers were correlated to the degree of boringness of the story, not the difficulty of the reading selection or the questions.) Although, I personally thought all the stories were boring! However, she liked a few that were about animals, she loves animals.

They really struggle with this.....and I remember struggling with it at their age. :tongue_smilie: Inside I just had this strong sense that is was not fair to test me over things that were so borning and stupid. I was a bit strong willed, and these three are as well. Sometimes I see it on their face, "This is so stupid!" ;)

Not only is this the time of year that state testing becomes extremely stressful, it may be worse in Texas this year than it has been in previous years. With the STAR test replacing the TAKS test, there is a lot of uncertainty and unpredictability that is playing into the mix.

Thank you. We were not here for the TAKS, so have nothing to compare it to. I have noticed that there does seem to be quite a bit of stress. Yesterday I got another note home saying, "Remember we only have month until the writing portion of the the STAAR test! Makes sure your kids get to before or after school tutoring!"

Do you think your kids are "behind"? Or is it just that they don't know how to test? See, they start teaching kids VERY early how to test. My daughter, in Kindy, is learning to read things a certain way, underlining, circling, etc various bits of information. By 3rd grade, even (possibly especially) struggling students are proficient in marking up the questions, selections, and problems in order to read the questions "just right" in order to pass the test. IN some ways, I think this is beneficial. These give the kids key clues in order to figure out the answers. It gives them a plan of attack. However, it certainly is a learned skill and I'm not sure your kids can learn it within a month or three. And unfortunately, 5th is a high stakes year.

What do the teachers think? What about the kids?

No doubt, this year is extra hard on everyone because no one has taken or taught to a STAAR test before.

They were in PS from K-2nd and 3rd for dd. They are familiar with test taking and I made sure to do quite a bit of it with them before they went back to PS. I found out yesterday that they are not missing the multiple choice as much as they are missing the writing in the margins portion. This is a real struggle for one ds, because he is a bit advanced and does not like to take the time to write out his work. He's also very literal in his thinking. If he gets the answer...he thinks he should get the answer. :glare:

Would they be sent to summer school because of poor test peformance? In CO, the state standardized test have no relation to the school grades. When my ds was in school, I'd always tried to not stress the tests. They matter much more to the teacher and the school than to an individual child. If the tests have no realtion to the grades or the kids placement in the future, I'd suggest helping the kids keep the tests in perspective. They really test how well a child can take that test, not how smart the child is. Help them to relax. It is an elementary test, not the SAT. They're aren't doomed to a dismal future because of these tests.

This year there is no consequence for bad test performance. I am not sure if this district has the funds for summer school. If it does my kids would want to go!!!! I think I have really weird kids :confused:

Thank you for the encouragement! :D

Reflecting on several angles of testing, what they are, what they really mean, what they are meant to accomplish and record are one animal.

Stop and take a breath, realize that testing is a skill. It has very little to do with who and what and where your kids really are at.

Separate the skill from real knowledge. They really are two different things.

You said that you've noticed a hit to their self-confidence due to the results. That is one singular thing to address first. I don't know if lecturing, examples, a meeting with the teacher or just the family value system you hold can get that in focus for them. That is the first thing I'd go after.

As a child, and all the way through high school, I hated testing; and I, on purpose, would mark my answers wrong. I recall sitting there finding the right answer and intentionally marking every single one wrong...but that's another story for another day. I only offer that to show you a real example of what it can lead to, the sheer hate response that can be and happen on the topic of testing.

I laugh now, but I used to be pulled in for remediation and "catch up" work due to my "scores"....while at the same time my educators knew I was doing it on purpose; I gave off a lot of grief as a kid and testing, it was my way of getting back at a system.

Get it through to the kids that their abilities and self-worth as students are completely disconnected from a paper test. The important things in life are not measurable by a "test" on paper.

Next up, test-taking as a "skill" (realizing at the same time that these are wicked snap-shots and not a true reflection of the person) - can be mastered with practice.

Some tests are multiple choice with keywords- you are seeing that now. If the terminology within the tests are unfamiliar to them, that's what you chase after. This comes down to an almost rote skill reaction as well as deduction that follows in process.

Barnes and Nobles, several bookstores cater to this industry of test taking...they have workbooks that delineate the terms which show up on these tests. The kids may have never in their lives seen these terms before.

I keep up with the test terms by using Spectrum workbooks (as awful as that is) - go get a few, they are only around 5 or 6 dollars a book. They are really easy to spot, titles like "Test Taking Comprehension, Reading" and a corresponding grade level smacked across the cover.

To increase their self confidence, I'd drop back a grade level you know they are fluent in..if they are performing at a generalized 4th grade level say...drop back and pick up the 2nd grade level and a 3rd grade level book. Let them practice those first just for getting the feel of them...then take off the training wheels so to speak, and offer a book to them to work on that they aren't totally comfortable in.

It takes the "scary" out of it.

Just the handling of paper tests and time is one thing. The classroom environment is another thing to consider - boy there is just so much involved in getting kids adjusted to the idea of testing.

If it's really freaking your kids out, I'd ask the teacher to privately email the results to you and do NOT share the scores with your kids as it's causing anxiety.

Test taking really is a skill that has to be learned, and depending on the format, the day and the kid...the answers are going to vary from week to week or day to day even.

Do you feel like there may be any processing issues there? If I sit my dd down and ask her to verbally explain her knowledge in discussion on something she's learning, that is a whole different response than if I tested her on paper.

It can go either way, she can score high on something she knows really very little on, really only truly surface knowledge, or she can bomb on a test which she's a mile deep but an inch wide on.

These are just a few thoughts about testing- I hope something in here sparks a connection of thought for you.

Just to reinforce the above a bit...learning HOW to take a test is as important as learning the information on a test. One of the 'best' teachers at my daughter's school is considered the best because his kids score high on standardized tests. However, he changed his class testing methods so that it resembles the same style of test taking for standardized tests.

I have a note on my materials list for next year to purchase test books just to make sure my kids know HOW to take tests. It sounds absolutely ridiculous, but it's part of public school. It's just part of it.

And absolutely test on easy things first like a PP said. It's worth the extra money to build their confidence up.

There are books and online resources specifically on the topic of test taking, I would study those with your kiddos. My DS is taking an online class and the multiple "guess" questions are sometimes tricky. But, I've been showing him that usually you can eliminate at least one if not two answers as impossible, and then you only have to choose from the others. ;)

Sim, my DS adjusted instantaneously to PS, but that was probably because he started at the beginning of the school year. It must have been a bit difficult to start at this time of year, so I would be patient & give it time. Are there other things at home that you can praise their achievement at, so they don't completely lose confidence? I don't mean academics.

What district are you in... my boys had a friend who had to repeat 4th grade because he didn't pass the math part of the TAKS.. or was it 5th?? I'm not sure but by junior high he was one grade behind my son.

They are not taking the TAKS anymore. This is the first year with the STAAR. This years scores will be used to set the mark for future years.