Menu

Review request for Saxon Grammar and Writing 5 - 8 (aka Hake Grammar)

PaigeP

I'm not much help, but a friend of mine uses it and really likes it a lot. I think she said it is spiral in nature like Saxon Math (which she also uses and loves). She has been pleased with the writing instruction. However, she also uses IEW. They have been using IEW for a while and added in the Hake Grammar (which includes writing, so she has her son do it).

This is our second year using Saxon Grammar. Last year, we began with the 5th grade book. I love this program. It gives great explanations, lots of examples and then plenty of mixed practice problems. My son really has to know his stuff to do well on the assignments because there are a wide variety of problems in each lesson. I love that the lesson number where the concept was taught is written next to each problem, so that if he can't remember something, he can go back and look it up rather than just guessing.

I do not use the writing portion of the program, though I have used the dictation passages at times, depending on how much other writing he has scheduled in his day. I also allow him to write in the book, since that is a huge time-saver.

Lisa

Edited by LisaTheresa

We are using 6 and 8. Dd14 hasn't actually done any of the lessons as she has been taking the tests to see where she needs to work in the book. Dd12 is on lesson 16. (Just to clarify that we haven't used this for long.)

1. The lessons are clear and to the point with lots of examples. We were using R&S and I find this to be comparable in that regard.

2. There are 1 or 2 practice sets for each lesson followed by a review set. The review set includes the lesson the question is from (as LisaTheresa mentioned).

3. I like the diversity of the sentences used in the sets. So many grammar text have practice sentences that follow a pattern and so the part of speech is too easy to find. This is not the case with this book.

I'm allowing my dc to write in the book and so far it hasn't been an issue. We will do the diagramming in a composition notebook.

Regarding the writing, I wasn't going to use it at first but I went ahead and had dd12 start it and I have to say that it really isn't that bad once we substituted her own topics instead of using the topics they suggest. It is very incremental and clear in its explanation of the steps. It only takes a short time to complete each lesson. Dd12 is on (I think) lesson 10 or 11 and is writing a 5 paragraph descriptive essay on the three main elements she would include if she were to write an anime series.

We've been using it for two years too and also very happy with it. It does teach how to outline, but honestly, we don't use the writing portion, so I can't tell you much about how good a job it does or doesn't do. You can see TOCs and sample lessons from each book here - http://saxonhomeschool.hmhco.com/en/resources/result.htm?title=Sample

We're using Hake 5 this year, and love it. We use the entire program, including the copywork and dictation portion. I think the writing portion is sparse and a bit dry, so we also use Writing Strands, mostly because my dd has requested more variety in her writing assignments. But I do think that the material presented in the Hake writing lessons is valuable in its own way, although I suspect I am a minority opinion in that regard.

I haven't seen any outlining lessons just yet; perhaps they come in later books.

I plan on using Hake for both my dd's for grades 5 through 8.

I haven't seen any outlining lessons just yet; perhaps they come in later books.

Outlining starts in grade 7. That's one of the reasons we didn't use the writing program, I wanted her to start outlining sooner than that. For a fairly strong writer with some creative skills already in place, the writing portion of Hake would be fine; however, that does NOT describe my DD!! :D