Menu

can you tell me what you did when you needed bifocals

I got bifocals first, because we couldn't afford lasik, and also because at that time my astigmatism couldn't be treated. Some years ago, however, we had some disposable money, and technology advances made it possible to take care of the astigmatism. So now I just have reading glasses.

:party:

A friend had her doctor do one eye for nearsighted, and one for farsighted, so she doesn't need any glasses at all. She said the first year was weird as she was adjusting, but she's glad she did it.

There's now also a procedure where the surgeon actually replaces your lens, so you have perfect vision, but it's pricier, and it creeped me out to much, lol.

I went from "20-20" and being told my vision was just fine, but that I was getting older and my eyesight just "felt" like it was getting blurry to tri-focals in two years!!!

I don't have the income to put towards a surgery and I actually like the look of glasses on me.... (But, when I forget to put them when I have busy mornings, it makes for a difficult time being out and about... I cannot read without them on!).

I love my glasses. I got the kind no lines and enjoyed them from the get-go. Choose lenses that are glare-free... I have one pair that doesn't get glares and one that does... the one that does annoys me to pieces because I can see my eyes reflected in the lenses and it drives me batty!

I have become so accustomed to wearing them that when I don't have them on, I tip my chin to see things better! Then I laugh at myself when what I am looking at stays blurry....

Surgery is not an option for me financially, although I would consider it otherwise.

I needed bifocals just in my early 40's. I got the "lined" ones because (again) of cost. Last week, I got my first pair of progressives. I love them.

Adjusting to the bifocals was a challenge for about a week; I was dizzy and the lines distracted me.

I'm still working on this issue. For now, I wear my regular glasses and take them off to read anything (I read fine without glasses, but my distance vision specs interfere with my close vision. I tried single vision contacts with reading glasses, but that was difficult - I could not read anything within the length of my arm, so I was constantly having to put on and take off my reading glasses. I could not wear the reading glasses a lot because they made me nauseous every time I turned my head. That is why I didn't get bifocals. I am experimenting with multi-focal contact lenses (not the one eye for close and the other for distance.) This first prescription isn't working so well - still need reading glasses within arms reach, but can at least make out some of it. Getting headaches. I go back to the eye-doctor this week to evaluate and try another prescription to see if we can make this work. Otherwise, I will have to get bifocals and buy some sea-bands or something.

I'm near-sighted, so without my glasses on, I can read just fine still (45), even in dim lighting situations. However, if I'm wearing my contacts (vast majority of the time), my arms just aren't long enough for tiny print, like nutrition label ingredient lists - other things, like magazines and newspapers are still fine with my contacts, but the tiny print, no way! I picked up 1.00 reading glasses and just carry them in my purse for when I'm shopping and want to read labels. I decided long ago not to have the Lasix since it would mean reading glasses, so I didn't see the point, I already need glasses, so the surgery was going to only change one to another.

I wear Mono vision contac lenses.

My left eye is for reading, my right eye is for distance.

They have to be tweeked every year, but I do fine with them. I do have bifocals in my glasses, but I find that they are on the top of my head when I want to read a book. I just don't like them.

Thank you all! So helpful. I think my husband must think I am nutty bc/ now when I have a question, I just tell him I'll ask the forum! Sounds like I should get progressives!

One more question: If my eyes just started changing and I've only been unable to read fine print about 1 year, should I wait a while or get them now and be prepared to replace lenses in a year?

Thank you all! So helpful. I think my husband must think I am nutty bc/ now when I have a question, I just tell him I'll ask the forum! Sounds like I should get progressives!

One more question: If my eyes just started changing and I've only been unable to read fine print about 1 year, should I wait a while or get them now and be prepared to replace lenses in a year?

I love my progressives. It is fairly normal to need to replace them every couple of years.

Husband had bifocals for a bit then joined me with varifocals and is much happier. The varifocals took about a week to be familiar - now I barely notice the different lens areas.

ETA: I think varifocals is what we call progressives in the UK.

Laura

Edited by Laura Corin

I have multi-focal contact lenses and progressive lens glasses. It took four tries to get the contacts that worked for me, but now I like them. At first, my glasses drove me nuts, but then I complained and come to find out, the lenses were made wrong. Sent them back and now I like them.

I waited, using my old glasses for distance and dime-store reading glasses for up close, until I just couldn't stand the swapping anymore. I'm glad I did something about it. :lol

I didn't realize that I was not enjoying reading or knitting and therefore *wasn't* until I made this change. Now I'm back to enjoying my two favorites things again.

I would never let someone operate on my eyes when my vision is so easily corrected with lenses. I wear regular contacts with reading glasses as needed during the day. For the evening, I will soon be filling my prescription for bifocal specs. I had bifocals in college. The old fashioned kind, not progressive. They were fine. I will probably get those again if they are the cheapest option.

I had surgery to replace my lens because of medical issues. I would have eventually become blind if I hadn't had the surgery. I have one eye that is far sighted and one eye that is near sighted. It took about two weeks for my brain to click and understand the new signals. I still need to wear reading glasses as artifical lenses can not change shape to focus. I actual got progressive reading glasses made so I can wear my reading glasses and not have to look like a little old lady with the glasses on the end of my nose! I love my progressive lens. The bottom is reading and the top clear.