Menu

I won't ressurect a new thread but...

amen, AMEN! That is all I am sayin'! I almost wasn't able to go to college... well it was a call from HSLDA and a strong mother that made sure it happened but left to my own devices I would not have gone.

People one act of the house or congress and it goes back to this... Have a good friend who moved to Germany... she has no choice or rights.

Exactly!

I've read all those negative comments, and I will continue to support HSLDA with all my heart. Most of them are half truths, or twisted "truth," written by people who were opposed to HSLDA from the beginning and were looking for information to support their own views. I say "most" of them just in case there's a grain of truth in one or two.

And that's all I have to say on the issue. Arguing with HSLDA detractors is like getting in the pigpen to wrestle the pig: the pig likes it and you get dirty.

:iagree: I never (usually) get involved in HSLDA threads, not worth it. I like what they do and who they are. There is such venom here about HSLDA it just is not worth it to get into an arguement over it. I have a feeling there are a lot of others here who support HSLDA and see negative threads about them, roll their eyes, and move on. ;)

You're the one who started by making it sound like HSLDA was responsible for our freedoms. When you go and give them credit that is not due to them, and then tell those of us who disagree that we don't know our history ... that gets my dander up. I have lived with the efforts of HSLDA to marginalize any homeschoolers who are not fundamentalist Christian homeschoolers. I have lived through their efforts to push us out of the political process. Yes, interfering with my rights to participate as a citizen of my state does get my dander up.

Most of us are sophisticated enough to know that politics is done in back room deals. That doesn't make it right. Nor does it make it right when an organization pushes the constituents who have to live with those laws out of the deal-making process. It is the sneaky underhandedness that I object to. It is the divisiveness that I object to.

You say that you are not a drama queen, but you did stir the pot, fully admitting that you knew the volatility of the topic. Don't yell "fire" in a crowded room and not expect a reaction.

pretty harsh dontcha think? I certainly didn't know I was going to get THIS kind of reaction or I WOULD not have posted. HSLDA does indeed have a portion of this... Before HSLDA were a bunch of families who stood strong, for our rights.

I had no idea there were haters of this magnitude in the crowd. I promise you I would not have stepped near this subject with a ten-foot-pole.

You say that you are not a drama queen, but you did stir the pot, fully admitting that you knew the volatility of the topic. Don't yell "fire" in a crowded room and not expect a reaction.

:iagree: I never (usually) get involved in HSLDA threads, not worth it. I like what they do and who they are. There is such venom here about HSLDA it just is not worth it to get into an arguement over it. I have a feeling there are a lot of others here who support HSLDA and see negative threads about them, roll their eyes, and move on. ;)

Sad families who are in a minority can just be supportive of each other rather than hate on eachother.

I have been educated this morning, that drama mamas are everywhere and it isn't just over breastfeeding and vaccinations... apparently it is over places like HSLDA too? mkay... lesson learned.

Sad families who are in a minority can just be supportive of each other rather than hate on eachother.

I have been educated this morning, that drama mamas are everywhere and it isn't just over breastfeeding and vaccinations... apparently it is over places like HSLDA too? mkay... lesson learned.

Do you really, really think that passive-aggressively calling names (drama mamas, eh?) is going to do anything at all to decrease divisiveness?

What sort of reaction were you honestly expecting? "Oh, thank you so much, I hadn't even thought about it that way! I'm rushing out to buy my membership in HSLDA right now!"

Going to find the moderator to lock this thread... was trying to be respectful of everyone's opinions since I was the one who started the discussion. I can take a robust discussion but there is a difference between tomato throwing which I refereed to in my OP and straight up haters... over it...peace out...this has definitely made me rethink my membership here... up til now I have not really gotten into any fray...and I think I will go back to that.

Strong opinions are great... rudeness not so much...I have seen it in other threads and guess I should have known it would be here too but for some reason I was naive about it.

Learned a long time ago on mommy boards that women just don't support each other enough... such a shame too since we are all in this boat doing our best to raise our children.

I actually don't even necessarily believe that the people that support the HSLDA are in the minority. I just think we are smart enough not to get involved in the venomous anti-HSLDA threads. ;) I personally do not feel like I need to defend the HSLDA, they do a pretty good job of that themselves.

If you look through the HSLDA threads you will see the same repeat anti HSLDA'ers with a few new anti-HSLDAers sprinkled in.

Do you really, really think that passive-aggressively calling names (drama mamas, eh?) is going to do anything at all to decrease divisiveness?

What sort of reaction were you honestly expecting? "Oh, thank you so much, I hadn't even thought about it that way! I'm rushing out to buy my membership in HSLDA right now!"

dude please don't beat a dead horse, I really didn't expect it, I do expect it on mommy boards...I have been around them... this is my first homeschool type board and I really did not expect it.

was never trying to be decisive actually but you believe what you want... you ladies are so welcoming.

I had no idea there were haters of this magnitude in the crowd. I promise you I would not have stepped near this subject with a ten-foot-pole.

I can't think of anything nice to say about an organization which tries to convince people that marriage equality threatens homeschooling.

In case anyone needs the link - here ya go.

dude please don't beat a dead horse, I really didn't expect it, I do expect it on mommy boards...I have been around them... this is my first homeschool type board and I really did not expect it.

was never trying to be decisive actually but you believe what you want... you ladies are so welcoming.

For your sanity, let it go and move on. ;)

Going to find the moderator to lock this thread... was trying to be respectful of everyone's opinions since I was the one who started the discussion. I can take a robust discussion but there is a difference between tomato throwing which I refereed to in my OP and straight up haters... over it...peace out...this has definitely made me rethink my membership here... up til now I have not really gotten into any fray...and I think I will go back to that.

Strong opinions are great... rudeness not so much...I have seen it in other threads and guess I should have known it would be here too but for some reason I was naive about it.

I've seen strong opinions, but not rudeness here.

Not everyone here is uninformed, nor do they believe we should kowtow to HSLDA in praise for what they have done.

They do not stand for ALL homeschoolers from what I've read. I certainly don't care for what they are currently trying to do in Germany.

pretty harsh dontcha think? I certainly didn't know I was going to get THIS kind of reaction or I WOULD not have posted. HSLDA does indeed have a portion of this... Before HSLDA were a bunch of families who stood strong, for our rights.

There are people who agree with and support HSLDA and people who don't. No one was "hating" here - unless you're one of those who view any type of disagreement as hatred. We are a bunch of women and men with opinions which have been considered and thought through. I'm not exactly sure what types of responses you had in mind. On any given topic you'll find a range of opinions. And (although there are exceptions) generally we express them without hatred. Again, disagreement doesn't equal hatred.