Menu

Migraine question

That was my GP until I got into the neurologist. At that point I had been dealing with near daily headaches for almost 2 years and was literally falling apart, my hair falling out, mental health crashing etc. Once I was into the neuro, had a CT and such I am not on it anymore.

Phew! I was worried for you. Perhaps your GP make a mistake and thought it was in the preventative category. Glad your neuro worked out something with you that is helping you. Quality of life is so important.

90% of the time I am crying in pain until I vomit a loft and pass out, then sleep for 24 hours or so.

10% of the time I think they are just severe headaches, not ready to turn into a migraine but they still have that potential.

Unfortunately I do not get auras so I have no real warning until the pain turns on and then forget life for me:crying:

My mother gets migraines where she can walk, talk and work through most of them but her speech is highly impaired, she cannot see correctly and after a few days if they do not go away on their own then she will end up with a migraine similar to mine.

Migraines are so very individual in how they affect people though. So many different types of migraines, so many different reasons as to why people get them as well.

I ask because I have two friends who frequently complain of migraines yet they function normally. One of them has been posting on FB for several days things like, "Migraine STILL won't go away...gah! On today's agenda: grocery store, furniture shopping, and perhaps date night with hubby!" :001_huh: Things like that.

I have had to grocery shop, though it is extremely difficult, and impossible if I go completely blind... but the other two would be out... then again I have migraines that tend to hang on and go up and down in their severity as well... so I could have "a migraine that won't go away for 6 days, but be doing very well in the morning and debilitating in the evening each day, etc.

I have them of various intensities.

A friend of mine asked what they're like, since she'd never had them.

This is how I described it...

First, you're scared you're going to die.

Then, as it gets worse, you hope you're going to die.

As it builds more, you KNOW you're going to die...and are grateful.

At it's peak, you're afraid you WON'T die and will be left to suffer like this forever.

Oh, and reading that, historically, drilling a hole in the skull was a treatment used for migraines made complete sense to me.

I've more than once thought that a small hole would release some pressure...

Thank God I didn't have access to power tools.

Oh, and reading that, historically, drilling a hole in the skull was a treatment used for migraines made complete sense to me.

:iagree: It's occurred to me a few times that a hole would relieve the pressure. It's definitely been tempting.

I have had to grocery shop, though it is extremely difficult, and impossible if I go completely blind... but the other two would be out... then again I have migraines that tend to hang on and go up and down in their severity as well... so I could have "a migraine that won't go away for 6 days, but be doing very well in the morning and debilitating in the evening each day, etc.

I have the lingering ones too. For some reason they don't peak as high as the shorter ones, but it's hard to say it's any better when it lasts for days.

At it's peak, you're afraid you WON'T die and will be left to suffer like this forever.

:iagree:

I always have this strange urge to put my head in one of my DH's big table mounted vices and just squeeze. I've actually begged him to sit on my head to push it back the right way!

I always have this strange urge to put my head in one of my DH's big table mounted vices and just squeeze. I've actually begged him to sit on my head to push it back the right way!

Phonebooks.

They curve to the contour of your head and if you get a few of them the pressure is delicious... or at least helpful.

How well do you function with a migraine? I've only had a handful in my lifetime and I found them absolutely debilitating. The only thing I could do was lay down in a dark room and close my eyes. I felt like vomiting.

I ask because I have two friends who frequently complain of migraines yet they function normally. One of them has been posting on FB for several days things like, "Migraine STILL won't go away...gah! On today's agenda: grocery store, furniture shopping, and perhaps date night with hubby!" :001_huh: Things like that.

So I'm thinking that either some people are just better able to cope with the pain or these ladies are, eh, exaggerating a bit about their headaches. I like to think I have a fairly high pain tolerance and yet I just can't imagine doing much of anything when I truly have a migraine.

function?:confused: do people function with one?

I know a dehydration headache can be mistaken for a migraine, but it is NOT a migraine. (same with a caffine withdrawl headache - feels similar, but nowhere near as bad).

when i have a migraine - I want to throw up, find a dark room, not move (it increases the throbbing), and shoot my husband for breathing too loud. then again, sometimes it would be easier to just lop off my head. ooohhh, cool moist compresses to my forehead and back of the neck can be very nice.

eta: I know there are many people who think a "really bad headache" = migraine. uh, no.

Edited by gardenmom5

I get two kinds: One is extremely intense and I-wanna-die level pain (9 or 10 on a scale of 1-10). The other is less intense but lasts for 4-5 days at a time (5 or 6 on a scale of 1-10). The really bad ones cancel all plans for the day. I down my meds and go to bed until it's gone. With the less intense ones I will take my meds and usually push through with necessities (basic school and chores) but I will cancel anything non-essential.

Edited by Veritaserum

In the past I've been hospitalized three times for migraines that resulted in debilitating pain/vomiting. I also experience auras/light sensitivity/smell sensitivity etc. My migraines and I do a bit of a dance. They tend to build over a period of hours. If I pay attention to them I can manage to function to the end of the day before I crawl into the dark LOL. If I push I may end up in the hospital...so yes, I do think one can 'function' thru the pain...but my definition of function would be bare minimum. No date nights for sure!

:iagree: Oh, my, yes!

The very, very worst migraines I've gotten were during pregnancy when I can't take my beloved Imitrex. I take narcotics instead, but those don't work anywhere near as well. They can take the edge off enough for me to sleep, though, which is the real cure.

I've had blind-in-one-eye auras as well as stroke-like symptoms (paralysis and numbness). Freaky!

My mom gets those. Just the visual symptoms and no headache.

I do as well. My SIL too.I had no idea what my occasional and trippy vision issues were until I mentioned them to my optometrist. They're classic auras. I do occasionally get moderate pain but painkillers and sleep generally take care of that. I get some of the other symptoms too like exhaustion. It generally does me in for a day but they're pretty rare. The auras are more common.

I know people who suffer from horrible migraines and would never compare my rather tame experiences with theirs but it is important to remember migraines ocupy a spectrum and we all have the right to occasionally whine about them.:001_smile:

Edited by WishboneDawn

Mine are debilitating. Nausea and vomiting, horrible pain, vision disturbances. My day does not go on. Hormones are my biggest trigger though being excessively tired or low blood sugar can trigger them too. I take imitrex at the first sign. I know the signs. I'm pretty much confined to the bed unless arterial bleeding is happening in the house.

function?:confused: do people function with one?

I know a dehydration headache can be mistaken for a migraine, but it is NOT a migraine. (same with a caffine withdrawl headache - feels similar, but nowhere near as bad).

when i have a migraine - I want to throw up, find a dark room, not move (it increases the throbbing), and shoot my husband for breathing too loud. then again, sometimes it would be easier to just lop off my head. ooohhh, cool moist compresses to my forehead and back of the neck can be very nice.

eta: I know there are many people who think a "really bad headache" = migraine. uh, no.

Ummm, maybe you should've read all the comments. Your eta has been very well covered :D