Menu

Homemade Laundry Gel -> Stinky Clothes

We've been using homemade gel for about a year. I use an organic soap from a local provider that I trust. I also use vinegar in the rinse cup.

Unfortunately we've noticed that our polyester clothes are getting stinky. The cottons are fine.

Any ideas? I've cleaned the washer to the point of taking it apart, and there is no mold. It is not a front-loader.

I noticed this too, and I had to switch back to using store detergent after awhile. I was very disappointed, but the clothes just, smelled :lol:. We're not even a particularly smelly family :lol::lol::lol:!

Another thing you could try is using one batch of the homemade and then one bottle of store. Maybe alternating would help?

Maybe it depends on what type of water you have?

I make my own powdered laundry detergent. For particularly stinky clothes though I do use commerical detergent. Sometimes I mix some in the laundry with the homemade or I just leave out the home made. I don't have to do it often so I don't feel that it adds much expense.

I remember another recent thread where someone chimed in about the dilution of the cleaners in homemade detergent (I think they were refering to the Duggar's recipe, but I don't remember exactly). They said it was too diluted to really clean much better than just plain water. Don't know if I believe that, but it does seem pretty mild. Perhaps the fibers in polyester just bond more easily with the stink molecules and the detergent isn't strong enough to break them? (There's an interesting sentence for ya...:lol:)

I agree with alternating or even just adding a little booster to the loads with polyester.

I remember another recent thread where someone chimed in about the dilution of the cleaners in homemade detergent (I think they were refering to the Duggar's recipe, but I don't remember exactly). They said it was too diluted to really clean much better than just plain water. Don't know if I believe that, but it does seem pretty mild. Perhaps the fibers in polyester just bond more easily with the stink molecules and the detergent isn't strong enough to break them? (There's an interesting sentence for ya...:lol:)

I agree with alternating or even just adding a little booster to the loads with polyester.

I find that the homemade actually works quite well without the skin issues we had even with the "free" commercial products. We have three with skin sensitivity, so I hate completely giving it up.

I think that I'm going to try 50/50 for awhile when I have polyester in the load. We don't wear that much of it, just workout pants, dress pants, and DH's oxford shirts.

I just started using homemade powdered detergent that works really well. Everything is coming out clean, and I have two stinky teen boys :)

It's 1 bar of Fels Naptha soap, shredded

1/2 cup Borax

1/2 cup Arm and Hammer Washing Soda

that's the original recipe - but I added some Oxy Clean powder to that as well.

Originally, I tried using the 1 tbsp recommended- but I think my loads must be bigger. I'm using two tbsps and that seems to be about right.

From what I have read, the dry stuff seems to work better than the homemade gel...

I just started using homemade powdered detergent that works really well. Everything is coming out clean, and I have two stinky teen boys :)

It's 1 bar of Fels Naptha soap, shredded

1/2 cup Borax

1/2 cup Arm and Hammer Washing Soda

that's the original recipe - but I added some Oxy Clean powder to that as well.

Originally, I tried using the 1 tbsp recommended- but I think my loads must be bigger. I'm using two tbsps and that seems to be about right.

From what I have read, the dry stuff seems to work better than the homemade gel...

Fels Naptha triggers skin problems here, and my septic service man recommended that I not use any powdered cleaning products.

A few ideas:

Try using more, or a different ration. If you have hard water, additional baking soda might be good. A higher amount of washing soda and borax might work. I don't even like to use the soap...I just use washing soda, borax, and baking soda.

As someone else suggested, using OxiClean might help. Also, you can try Biz, which is an enzyme booster.

If all else fails, try adding a couple teaspoons to tablespoons of trisodiumphospate (TSP) into your wash. You can find it with the cleaners in the paint department at Lowe's.

Fels Naptha triggers skin problems here, and my septic service man recommended that I not use any powdered cleaning products.

I don't like Fels naptha. I had a hard time getting it to dissolve in my water, even after running it thru the food processor and using warm/hot water. I switched to Zote and am much happier. It is softer, and harder to work with initially, but it works wonderful even in cold water washes.

I am curious as to why he said no powders. You are using a small amount and the powdered recipe above with borax and washing soda dissolves easily. It is the one I use. In addition, borax and washing soda are widely recommended for use as drain cleaners - and are safe for septic tanks.

I use homemade powdered with a recipe that contains oxyclean. I don't have issues with regular clothes, but Dh's judo gis are a force to be reckoned with. I add some homemade powder and ammonia and let them agitate, then shut off the machine to let them soak for about half an hour. After they soak, I agitate again and the gis come out smelling fresh.

You can probably do this with white vinegar if you don't want to deal with ammonia. I use Octagon laundry soap to make my laundry powder. (I also microwave it and grind it to dist in the food processor.) I haven't tried any other brand of soap, so I don't know if it makes a difference.

I don't like Fels naptha. I had a hard time getting it to dissolve in my water, even after running it thru the food processor and using warm/hot water. I switched to Zote and am much happier. It is softer, and harder to work with initially, but it works wonderful even in cold water washes.

Yep - Zote is the other one the website recommends. I couldn't find it, so stuck with the Fels Naptha. So far no skin problems :)

I use the same powdered recipe as was posted above and my clothes seem cleaner than when we used other soaps. You don't have to use fels naptha. Any bar of soap will do. We have a septic tank and no problems. I put the ingredients for the powder in a food processor and it comes out very fine. I mean....bar soap is safe for septic tanks, borax powder is safe, and washing powder is safe. How would they be bad if you mixed them up? I switched to powder because the liquid detergent (commercial) was causing my front loader to get slimy. If you are using a regular washer, you might want to use more than the recommended 1tbsp.

I have to use liquid detergent as well. When we first moved in, we used powder and clogged up the lines in no time flat. OOPS. I always add a few drops of lavender essential oil to our detergent as well as a little vinegar, and I haven't had a problem with smells.

That may change, though, when DS gets a couple years older. The detergent may conquer Grown Man, Grown Woman, Little Boy, and Little Girl smells, but I'm not sure it can handle Teen Boy. :glare:

Yep - Zote is the other one the website recommends. I couldn't find it, so stuck with the Fels Naptha. So far no skin problems :)

I can only find Zote at Big Lots, in giant bars. I think I pay about $1 a bar. When I started the bars were only 75 cents, easily half of Fels Naptha. I have a friend that orders her bars in bulk thru someplace online and yet another that has a small local owned store that orders hers inbulk for her when she needs it.

I can only find Zote at Big Lots, in giant bars. I think I pay about $1 a bar. When I started the bars were only 75 cents, easily half of Fels Naptha. I have a friend that orders her bars in bulk thru someplace online and yet another that has a small local owned store that orders hers inbulk for her when she needs it.

Thankfully, the Fels Naptha at the military commisarry is only $.98.

I would like to try the Zote (i'm not too fond of the smell of Fels Naptha)

(Off to Big Lots)

I don't even liketo wear polyester because I feel like I smell when I wear it. I do think it traps odors in a way that cotton does not.

Me too. Polyester blends (with at least 50% cotton) aren't as bad. But polyester in Florida is never a good idea :)