Menu

S/O a math textbook that LOOKS like a textbook

We are afterschooling math (high fifth, low sixth grade) and my son would like a textbook. The kind of book that looks like a textbook! Fat with a hard cover:)

Ideally, I would like a textbook that has an answer key available, but this is not absolutely necessary. I would probably buy a 6th grade book unless the program was super fast paced. We will continue to use other resources, but by golly if he wants a textbook then I aim to find him a textbook!

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Edited by Penguin
typo

You might try the Holt Middle School math books co-authored by Edward Burger. Burger is the instructor who did the math videos for the Thinkwell courses.

There are supplemental resources available online including some of the videos coordinated with each section.

These are hardback math textbooks and cover grades 6-8 starting with Math 1. The series also continues on to Algebra and Geometry.

First, I would like to thank ALL of you so very much! Each reply helped me think this through and clarify our needs.

We are actually liking Math Mammoth well enough, but DS11 wants a textbook. This I understand. He wants something that reminds him of his former school back home in the USA. Moving half way across the world can cause nostalgia/homesickness at unpredictable moments:)

I am going to take a chance on ACSI Grade 6. I also like the looks of the Holt Middle School book a lot, but a cheap copy is not available to me at the moment (Europe). Ultimately I was swayed by the fact that ACSI has a Teacher's Manual available. If a cheap copy of the Holt book appears available, I might get that one also. The online supplements are quite good.

I just hope that the religion in the ACSI book isn't a problem for us - we are Christian but we are neither Protestant nor Creationists. But I sure did like seeing Rembrandt in the preview! Well, we shall find out soon enough...it is now on order.

Edited by Penguin
typo