Menu

I thought it was an "Angry Birds" thing...you learn something new every day, I'll have to go check out lol catz now...

I thought it was from Cut the Rope

I always thought it was from the Cookie Monster. :001_huh:

I could picture Cookie Monster saying that. And now you've been quoted again. :D

I don't know but it is about 50% of my son's vocabulary. 25% is Nope and the other 25% is Potato.

:lol::lol: :iagree: :lol::lol:

What is it with Potato? I didn't know it was endemic! I guess now I'll have to go look it up.

Edited by Amy in NH

I don't know who started it or why but it makes me cringe when grown women use it on FB. It is not cute, it makes you look like you're trying to "keep up" with....I don't even know what. Don't do it.

:iagree: Unless you are actually nibbling on a baby's toes, I think it's obnoxious.

I think it is the sound Cookie Monster uses when he's eating cookies. The teens use it to indicate eating.

:iagree:

I remember Cookie Monster decades ago saying, "Nom-nom..." while eating cookies. And the LOLcats thing is trying to replicate what the animal is saying (in cat-speak) in those silly photos. There is a Nom Nom song also that went viral a few years ago:

Little kids love it. Enjoy!

:iagree: Unless you are actually nibbling on a baby's toes, I think it's obnoxious.

See, but that's because you don't have teens who use it as a regular part of vocabulary. It's probably just not "normal" to you... yet. :D(evil laugh)

It reminds me of when "cheesy" started to mean poor-quality, or "cool" started to mean good. It took a while to get used to. Now it's just "normal".

I've never heard it until now and I have a teen. I've also never heard of lolcats either. I feel so old and out of it.

I don't know but it is about 50% of my son's vocabulary. 25% is Nope and the other 25% is Potato.

Don't get me started.

:lol::lol:

Adding my vote for Cookie Monster/Sesame Street as the origins.

:iagree:

See, but that's because you don't have teens who use it as a regular part of vocabulary. It's probably just not "normal" to you... yet. :D(evil laugh)

It reminds me of when "cheesy" started to mean poor-quality, or "cool" started to mean good. It took a while to get used to. Now it's just "normal".

Noooooo! Say it isn't so!:svengo:

:tongue_smilie: I think the thing that bugs me is that it's supposed to represent the sound of someone gobbling their food (a la cookie monster). Blech. But then loud eating sounds have always grossed me out.

Noooooo! Say it isn't so!:svengo:

:tongue_smilie: I think the thing that bugs me is that it's supposed to represent the sound of someone gobbling their food (a la cookie monster). Blech. But then loud eating sounds have always grossed me out.

Yes, we enforce chewing with your mouth closed here.

But "nom nom nom" doesn't seem to bother me when it's coming out of my teens' mouths (when they aren't actually eating), probably because it means they are talking to me and sharing their teen culture. :) And they have a way of making it kinda cute, cuz they're my teens. <3

Fine. I can accept that teens say it. Every generation comes up with new sayings or words that they use. The problem* I have is when grown WOMEN (so far haven not seen or heard a man type or say it) use it. IMO it makes them look..stupid and like they're trying to much or something.

* not really a problem. Far worse problems in the world than this. ;)

Yeah, every white cat we see is a ceiling kitteh, and every black cat a basement kitteh. My dd and I will sometimes use "nom" to be funny and make each other laugh. Don't much care if it looks stupid to the outside--I'm just happy to be laughing with my daughter. :001_smile:

P.S. My vote is with lolcats. It may not have been the origin, but I think that's where it exploded into a meme.

I've seen (as in on message boards) lots of women using it when referring to breastfeeding :confused:

Like -"Oh my baby is nom nom nomming me again"

I can't stand it myself -it's right up there with "my bad" in my list of "pet peeves of annoying things people say" . :angry:

Wow! I just learned about a world I didn't know existed. Lolspeak? Who knew? There is a whole history, with graphs. Who spends their time studying this stuff? :001_huh:

Yeahhhhhhh I have several LOLcat shirts from Woot. The kids know LOLspeak almost as well as they know English (What's the idiom? I can speak two languages - English and bad English?).

To be fair, we have six cats and on other forums, I go by the name MrsLOLcat. I have LOLcat backgrounds on my phone and computer.

I am THAT dork. ::blushing::

I've seen (as in on message boards) lots of women using it when referring to breastfeeding :confused:

Like -"Oh my baby is nom nom nomming me again"

I can't stand it myself -it's right up there with "my bad" in my list of "pet peeves of annoying things people say" . :angry:

That is disturbing.