Menu

SOTW AG

kandty

Does the volume 1 Ancient times book have hands on activities? I looked at the samples, but I wasn't completely sure what it covers. My DS was tired of what we where using for history and I got the SOTW cd from the library. He is enjoying those, but asked for some activities to do. Will the activity guide do this for him? Keep in mind when I asked what kind of activities he was looking to do, he just said anything but reading and lots of writing. :lol:

yes, it has suggested activities to do that typically use things around the house. Our very first week in SOTW we made "cave paintings" with crinkled paper and black paint. We also went outside and attempted to build a shelter with tree branches, etc..

ETA: It also gives you coloring pages and maps to use along with the readings. we aren't very deep into the SOTW yet, just started in January.

It has activities for every chapter. A few are really good, but most were, for me, really lame. I got more inspired ideas from individual titles from project books about various times and places that I got out from the library.

Edited by farrarwilliams

The AG activities are hit and miss here. If you want more activities to go with SOTW1, my favorite supplement is 120 Step-by-Step History Projects (a STEAL right now on bargain book status! ETA: Yikes! It was $5 and now $25! Hope someone here snagged it when it was cheap...). I also like Spend the Day in Ancient Egypt (and Greece, and Rome).

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

The activities in vol. 1 are what made history a hit in our house. The year starts with an archeological dig. Then cave paintings. Then hieroglyphics. We made clay seals like the Samarians (I am guessing there, its been awhile..) We built a ziggarat out of cereal boxes and painted it using sand mixed in the paint. We made a model of a Roman road. We cooked a Roman feast and had a picnic in togas. We made a clay volcano and erupted it.. And we didn't do half of the projects that year. It was a great year, and I can't wait to do vol. 1 again next year for the 2nd time trying some of the projects we didn't do before (although I will still not be mummifying a chicken!)

lol i WANTED to mummify the chicken, and i am vegetarian so that is saying something, but my 5 y.o. daughter didn't! we will do it the next time around. my son was really looking forward to it. i think it creeped her out a bit. i didn't need any nightmares.

some of the activities have been great, and some have turned out really lame. maybe user error. not sure. :001_unsure: but i would recommend it. it helps make it easier on me!

• 2 weeks later...

We definitely use the Activity Guide and do some of the projects. We also do some of our own, which you can see here, and we also like History Pockets. The Dover Coloring books are good, too, and very inexpensive. We also do a lot of Lego building for various history projects.

@ The Evolving Homemaker, we mummified a rubber chicken. :D