Menu

Making Valentine's Special--Kids

Normally.... nothing.

However, this year, DH is working 2nd shift, so he'll be gone that night. One friend, her DH is deployed. Another friend's DH will be on travel.

First off, we are going to our favorite breakfast spot (Eggspectations) with Daddy for breakfast.

Then, that afternoon our friends are coming over. I am making spaghetti and meatballs, garlic bread and salad. (Others will provide stuff too...)

I got decorations at the dollar store and Party City. The kids will exchange Valentine's. They'll play games while the moms chat :) Then we'll have dinner. And THEN, they'll decorate and eat some cupcakes.

I'm actually looking forward to V-day this year!!

I give them a Valentine in the morning with breakfast. Then we have a special treat with our poetry-tea time, something from the bakery. We read lovey-dovey poems. I also set the table in red and white for the day. I like to play classical music with dinner and serve something special, with dessert, of course. :D

Also, you can check out Pinterest for tons of ideas.

Our tradition is fondue. It's a lot of fun...cheese for dinner and then of course, chocolate for dessert :D

The ideas of dipping are endless: french bread cubes, veggies, pretty much anything that can be skewered can be dipped.

If you don't have a fondue set, you can use one of those little slow cookers to keep the stuff warm and kabob skewers as sticks. That's what we did for a few years until we found an actual fondue set at the flea market.

Oh, and you simply must use a white table cloth. Even if it gets stained, the stains are part of the memories when you pull it out the next year.

I make heart shaped pancakes for breakfast. You can free-hand them or make round pancakes and cut them with a cookie cutter. Do not put a plastic cookie cutter on your fry pan thinking you can fill it with batter. It will melt the cookie cutter - duh!

When we homeschooled my children would make Valentines cookies for neighbors and friends. I used a regular sugar cookie recipes with a little peppermint extract to replace vanilla in the dough and frosting.

Some years we make a decorate a heart shaped cake. Bake cake in one square and one round cake pan. Remove the square cake from the pan and put on a plate with one point facing down, (like a diamond). Cut the round cake in half and place each half against one upper side of the diamond to make a heart. I let the kids frost and decorate.

Another favorite Valentine dessert is baked fudge:

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2009/02/sweets-for-your-sweetie-1-delicious-baked-fudge/

Enjoy!

Edited by Ferdie

Our tradition is fondue. It's a lot of fun...cheese for dinner and then of course, chocolate for dessert :D

The ideas of dipping are endless: french bread cubes, veggies, pretty much anything that can be skewered can be dipped.

If you don't have a fondue set, you can use one of those little slow cookers to keep the stuff warm and kabob skewers as sticks. That's what we did for a few years until we found an actual fondue set at the flea market.

Oh, and you simply must use a white table cloth. Even if it gets stained, the stains are part of the memories when you pull it out the next year.

That sounds like a fun tradition!

Last year we make cupcakes for all of our neighbors and decorated them with hearts. Most of our neighbors are retired and they really liked that the children thought of them. I think this year me might take some to the nursing home here in our neighborhood as well.

oh, I love this idea! We are the youngest family on this block, maybe we'll do this for our retiree neighbors!