Menu

If your kids went from HS'ing to PS

what did the school require from you/them to enroll them?

We are planning to put the kids in PS next year. I'm just trying to get an idea of what to expect.

We do a standardized test at the end of every year. They were also in private school prior to HS'ing (about 3 years ago). Do I have to get those records?

TIA!! :001_smile:

ETA: Forgot another question - DS12 and DD are on grade level, but we held back DS8 this year. Will they give me a problem about putting him in 3rd grade next year at age 9?

We are planning to put the kids in PS next year. I'm just trying to get an idea of what to expect.

We do a standardized test at the end of every year. They were also in private school prior to HS'ing (about 3 years ago). Do I have to get those records?

ETA: Forgot another question - DS12 and DD are on grade level, but we held back DS8 this year. Will they give me a problem about putting him in 3rd grade next year at age 9?

My daughter did this because she wanted to do Latin through the AP level, which she will complete this year.

School was a charter, which may or may not make a difference. All the school wanted were any records I could provide of classes and tests, particularly standardized tests, taken every year from 6th - 8th grade. There was a packet of paperwork, nothing too out there. There was a really ridiculous over-the-top release they wanted you to sign for the school clinic, which they do not run. It is a data-mining operation for a local for-profit school clinic company. No, thanks.

both schools could have cared aless about what we have done at home. They did their own testing with my younger ones to see where they were at with the curriclum they used. My oldest just had to wing it. Thankfully what she is learning in most classes she has already done. Her only issue was math. I used Math U See and with middle school she didn't know how to do some of the math so we are continuing with Math U See on the weekends. She's doing well and she is currently a A/B student.

Be prepared for teachers saying they are behind and make little comments about them being homeschooled and how it's so great they are learning with their peers and blah blah blah. It's what I have been getting and it drives me nuts. Now with standardized testing and some survey that happens so many years that is all I hear about. How they are starting to show kids how the tests are going to be like and what questions they are going to be asked by the survey people, if picked.

Kids absolutely love it and they are doing well so as long as we live overseas my children will attend the military schools.

Our PS did not require anything to enroll.

DS is one year ahead according to their rules-- his birthdate is just a few days after their deadline, but it was very easy to show them the documentation from the charter school we were homeschooling through, that he had taken the COGAT and mastered the information.

However, I myself voluntarily supplied information about what we had been learning and where they were. Some of the teachers were very interested, one was not. But I've learned that that is her own particular attitude and does not reflect PS in general-- the other teachers and the principal have been very welcoming and interested. They see it as their mission to find out where each child is and take him/her to the next level, whatever that is.

Actually, when we were HSing I had DS take the MAP test, which has come in handy since they have used that grade to nominate him for the gifted program. :)

You might find yourself sucked into the PTA, though. :)

Our school prefers their own tests as well, but that was for placing my dc into honours classes. Every place is different, so I'd call the school to see if someone there is experienced with this and knows what they need.

Blood. And it was the most infuriating month of my life, not helped by the peon bootlicker guidance counselor who I wanted to pop in his Hitler mustachioed face.

:lol::lol::lol: :glare: (the first 3 for your description, the last one for your experience.) I'm so thankful that due to our surname, dd got a good guidance counsellor and that the head of guidance was also good at his job. I'm also thankful that our school system is easy to work with.

Our school prefers their own tests as well, but that was for placing my dc into honours classes. Every place is different, so I'd call the school to see if someone there is experienced with this and knows what they need.

Wow. My daughter's school just totally took my word for where she was in all subjects. Then I sent in grade reports from outside classes she had done and IOWA Basic scores to justify it. They did no real testing at all, though I think she did a short test at the beginning of Algebra.

We did find that it still wasn't/isn't rigorous enough for her and we are considering a move to a gifted school next year, if she can get in.

Wow. My daughter's school just totally took my word for where she was in all subjects. Then I sent in grade reports from outside classes she had done and IOWA Basic scores to justify it. They did no real testing at all, though I think she did a short test at the beginning of Algebra.

We did find that it still wasn't/isn't rigorous enough for her and we are considering a move to a gifted school next year, if she can get in.

We had no trouble with her other classes, but did have to give some real info & even to include all the chapters we covered in Chem for them to submit to the science dept. I think if it had been elementary or middle school we would have had no trouble at all other than that we wouldn't have been able to put her into honours due to no state testing. Thankfully high school honours isn't dependent on the state test scores.

When it comes to honours classes, I think they do need some kind of verification of ability. I know someone whose girls switched from a private Christian school who couldn't get into honours at the middle school due to no state testing, but she was moved there the following year when it was clear that that's where she belonged.

As for honours level, I have one who might not end up doing honours math all the way through because she's a deep thinker rather than a timed test taker, so the testing system is working against her so far. If she had all class to do her tests, she'd have no trouble with it. Class tests are all timed, of course.

Hello there :)

We are in NH and I think it really depends on the state, or in some cases, the district. For us, it was a very smooth transition. My kids joined public school about 8 weeks ago. I was told that because we had been submitting our "end of year evaluations" all they needed to do was register! In DS10's case, he was "re-registering" after 4 years of HS'ing (he went to K and half of 1st) there. The registration process consisted of a birth certificate, proof of residency and an updated medical form. It took me a day to register them (I called ahead and then went straight to City Hall for my youngest's birth certificate and to the doctor's office for a printout of their medical forms). They started a few days later! :) VOILA!

I wish you and your family the best of luck and happiness in your new endeavors! :)

~Melissa :)

Hello there :)

We are in NH and I think it really depends on the state, or in some cases, the district. For us, it was a very smooth transition. My kids joined public school about 8 weeks ago. I was told that because we had been submitting our "end of year evaluations" all they needed to do was register! In DS10's case, he was "re-registering" after 4 years of HS'ing (he went to K and half of 1st) there. The registration process consisted of a birth certificate, proof of residency and an updated medical form. It took me a day to register them (I called ahead and then went straight to City Hall for my youngest's birth certificate and to the doctor's office for a printout of their medical forms). They started a few days later! :) VOILA!

I wish you and your family the best of luck and happiness in your new endeavors! :)

~Melissa :)

Glad to hear your transition has been smooth. We are in NH too. I hope our experience is as easy as yours was! :001_smile:

• 3 months later...

but our local district has a reputation for strong test scores and rigid attendance requirements.

I treated it as though my son was a transfer student, and mentioned to counselor it is like coming from another country. Different cultural expectations.

I would NEVER have thought , " oh good, let's put you in to MIDDLE SCHOOL the last three weeks. I told friends, the only person who'd want to start school in midle school is a person who's nevr BEEN to middle school" But it has been a breeze. mostly because he desperately wanted to go and nothing was happening here academically.

I rang up the school and said I needed to register my child for this next year . I said I had never registered in this district and would like help knowing what I need to do. ( 7th grade )

Secretary asked if we were moving into town, and I said, " uhm... no we live here" She was confused so I said, " We have homeschooled "

"Oh, okay, that's just fine. Here's what you will need to bring to the school" gave me a list, I asked when would be a convenient time to bring them in. She didn't even at like we had three heads for homeschooling.

We took a tour and he liked it so much he finished last three weeks of 6th at the school, no grades but a terrific transition for classes and friends etc. Got to choose his band instrument ,

I think they have tested for math placement, but I'm not sure. They only want their tests anyway. I can now throw away all my CYA records for him.

A friend found transitioning into 9th grade much much more complicated. records count more AND JR High is just more uptight here.

If Homeschooling is legal in your state, I'd just ring the school very soon to see if there are any placement tests etc scheduled for the summer. Folks frequently move to new towns and register for school over the summer. I would go ahead and call school so you don't miss anything .

It has been a great thing fo rus, He is vry happy. Good luck to you.

~christine in al

My older two are headed to high school in the fall.

The school gave them a placement test for math, and also wanted some testing for Spanish since they were going into an advanced class.

For the rest, to get into honors classes, they wanted me to meet with the heads of each dept. The science teacher just chatted with my kids; the English teacher wanted a grammar test/quiz (parts of speech :lol:) and writing samples; the history teacher seemed to be happy once she met us in person and we seemed like intelligent people and not trolls from under a bridge.

I have friends who put their kids into high school, all honors classes, in the two towns next to me, and they just took their word for it, so each town is different here. I don't have a problem with them wanting some placement info; it just says to me they care about placement so the kids are where they belong.

My dd was tested to see if she was ready for first grade. It was frustrating, but worked out in the end.

My next 2 boys were held back a grade (my decision), not tested, but they had psych testing done that summer. They ended up with IEPs.

I don't expect a problem with the school this fall, except for my 5yo (which I have already discussed.)

I found out that the middle school, where DS13 and DD will go, will do math and writing tests. I am waiting to enroll them until I get their standardized test results back and until they get physicals, which will happen in the next few weeks. I also decided to wait because things are crazy at the school right now as they do end of the year stuff. Graduation is next week. There is an orientation day in August where they will do testing and meet with counselors.

I don't know what will happen with DS9, but we are going to request a meeting with the principal just to let them know that he's already had testing with the school and he has some difficulty in certain areas. DH doesn't seem concerned about them giving us trouble with holding him back. I hope he's right.

They wanted blood, and by the end I hated them all so much that she's lucky I allowed her to go back.

My favorite comment? "Well how do we know your mommy grades are her actual grades?"

:001_huh:

"Well how can you verify that the grades from a kid a kid transferring from Mississippi are within your standards?"

YOU CAN'T.

They put her in a class for students on probabtion for the HSPA testing (11th grade NJ test for graduation) and what an epic waste of her time.

She's been on honor roll since enrollment and this year dual enrolling two college courses.

If you've made up your mind that this is what you want to do, you're just going to have to bite the bullet and jump through their hoops.

They wanted blood, and by the end I hated them all so much that she's lucky I allowed her to go back.

My favorite comment? "Well how do we know your mommy grades are her actual grades?"

:001_huh:

"Well how can you verify that the grades from a kid a kid transferring from Mississippi are within your standards?"

YOU CAN'T.

They put her in a class for students on probabtion for the HSPA testing (11th grade NJ test for graduation) and what an epic waste of her time.

She's been on honor roll since enrollment and this year dual enrolling two college courses.

If you've made up your mind that this is what you want to do, you're just going to have to bite the bullet and jump through their hoops.

Well, my DH is a teacher at the high school, so he's "one of them", lol. He will go with me and we'll do what we need to do. I would like to start off on the right foot and not go in with both guns blazing initially. I will have them at the ready, though. :D

Well, my DH is a teacher at the high school, so he's "one of them", lol. He will go with me and we'll do what we need to do. I would like to start off on the right foot and not go in with both guns blazing initially. I will have them at the ready, though. :D

Oh believe me, I went in nice and completely understanding that we were not the norm. She has THE WORST guidance counselor, and even the teachers can't stand him, so by the end I just flat out hated him--and still do. Well, not hate, but I refuse to talk to him.

Ds16 went to private, Catholic school first in 9th grade. That transition was really easy. He took the Accuplacer test and was interviewed. That was it. The school was respectful of homeschooling, and very helpful and polite.

When he went to public school in 10th, I never mentioned the homeschooling. We've had a lot of issues with teachers and counselors here. I think they would be very unhelpful with the transition. We may send ds13 to private school (we haven't been too impressed with the public school).