Menu

You know your a homeschool mom....

....when you brag to your friends that you just ordered a laminator. :lol:

.....when you haven't seen the dining room table in weeks because there is a science lap book in progress. (or any project.)

.....your kids are frequently sitting down for dinner in their pajamas. (this one might just be me. :tongue_smilie:)

I've only been doing this 6 months, so you all probably have way better ones than I do!

Edited by someonestolemyname

When you have the glorious leisure to wake your kids in the morning by lying in bed next to them and snuggling them awake versus scrambling to get them up, dressed, fed and to school on time. :001_wub:

When you watch Monty Python's Holy Grail as a supplement to learning about King Arthur. :lol:

Edited by Ibbygirl

...when you have to tell your boys that the delicious smell isn't actually dinner, but a chicken carcass boiling so you can use the bones for a science experiment.

...when you put your Amazon Prime membership to such good use that the UPS guys waves at you. In another neighborhood.

...when you have to tell your boys that the delicious smell isn't actually dinner, but a chicken carcass boiling so you can use the bones for a science experiment.

...when you put your Amazon Prime membership to such good use that the UPS guys waves at you. In another neighborhood.

LOL I give my UPS man cookies and a card at Christmas. We're all on first name terms even my kids say "Hi Joel." when they see him. lol

When that poor innocent woman sitting next to you at the potluck doesn't know that by saying vaguely, "I think about homeschooling sometimes, but don't know what books I'd use" she's unleashed a 90 minute impassioned speech on learning styles, curriculum reviews, enhancement opportunities, and refutation of common homeschooling misperceptions . . . and it is only capped at 90 minutes because someone sees the enormous glazed eyes and rescues her . . .

When, due to illness, only the basics get done for 2 weeks straight. You allow them to watch history based programming on Netflix...they of course choose the WWII stuff with the tank and plane battles...and all you can think about is...THIS IS NOT IN OUR CURRENT HISTORY CYCLE!

. . . when you consider a homeschool conference to be an exciting vacation destination.

This is how sad my friend and I are. We live a 30-40 minute drive from the convention, but we are splitting the cost of a room (in our defense, her DH got us a discount through his employer on TOP OF the convention discount:D ). And DH has it on his calendar at work that he is Working From Home that Thurs and Fri afternoon. And friend and I are doing a 'BIG' (read: $$$) dinner on Saturday night before we head home.

When that poor innocent woman sitting next to you at the potluck doesn't know that by saying vaguely, "I think about homeschooling sometimes, but don't know what books I'd use" she's unleashed a 90 minute impassioned speech on learning styles, curriculum reviews, enhancement opportunities, and refutation of common homeschooling misperceptions . . . and it is only capped at 90 minutes because someone sees the enormous glazed eyes and rescues her . . .

Some poor soul asked me about k-12 via e-mail. They got a small novel in return. And never asked me another question. :lol::lol: I guess that's one way to keep from having to talk about it!

And our DR table is currently covered with next year's curricula, as I prepare for the HS convention! It would be SO horrible to buy double, wouldn't it? hee hee

... when you are working on your budget and you have to decided which is more important: Pull-ups or printer ink

... when you have to explain to your MIL, "No, that is not dinner, it is a mummified chicken."

... your Netflix list is filled with "Alexander the Great", "Planet Earth", and Civil War documentaries instead of the hottest new movie out on DVD.

... the ps moms in the neighborhood say things like "I wish I could homeschool little Claire, but I could NEVER do what you are doing." "But what about socialization?". "We didn't ask you to coffee because we knew you couldn't do it."

....you get excited with the UPS truck comes and you realize it's the new MCT curriculum you ordered the other day, and then you spend the rest of the afternoon mapping out how you're going to use it! :)

Yup, that happened to me today! Yippeeeeee! Grammar Island, here we come!!!!!!

When, due to illness, only the basics get done for 2 weeks straight. You allow them to watch history based programming on Netflix...they of course choose the WWII stuff with the tank and plane battles...and all you can think about is...THIS IS NOT IN OUR CURRENT HISTORY CYCLE!

:lol::lol: That would be me! DS is obsessed with Roman history right now, and I'm like "NO WE CAN'T STUDY THAT WE'RE DOING MODERN RIGHT NOW!!"

:)

:lol::lol: That would be me! DS is obsessed with Roman history right now, and I'm like "NO WE CAN'T STUDY THAT WE'RE DOING MODERN RIGHT NOW!!"

:)

when you want to fix this thread title. ;)

:lol::lol:

When you have the glorious leisure to wake your kids in the morning by lying in bed next to them and snuggling them awake versus scrambling to get them up, dressed, fed and to school on time. :001_wub:

When you watch Monty Python's Holy Grail as a supplement to learning about King Arthur. :lol:

Ours is the opposite....my kids come crawl in bed with me and we might wven watch a cartoon before getting up....especially if it is cold!

when you order homeschooling catalogs for products you aren't going to use because you just have to compare everything.

when your husband's eyes glaze over when you start talking about next year's plans for the millionth time

when you take your child to the pool in the middle of the day and get weird looks.

when your child happily announces to doctors "we do school at home now and my mommy teaches me"

... playdate arguments erupt because your son is only familiar with the book version of certain stories, and his friends are only acquainted with the film versions.

LOL

How about when your bookshelves are beginning to overflow with books and all you can think is "more!"

Edited by Mrs. A

... when the staff at the Navy base bowling alley are on a first name basis with you and your children because you come in there every Wednesday at 1300 like clockwork. I swear it sounds like when Norm would walk into Cheers on the TV show when we walk in now. LOL

Usually it's just us and one other man named Steve in the whole 24 lane place. Wednesdays are a slow day.

Your child's backpack for your vacation includes her math book and her grammar book-and you don't know it until she pulls them out on the train!

An annoying person quizzes your daughter on math, and she answers-in Greek.

You end up teaching the PS moms how to help their children with their homework during dance class-when your child is three grades below theirs.

You're asked "What math book do you use?", and you're still listing titles 5 minutes later (Oh, we use Singapore Math, plus some MEP, plus Life of Fred....)

when you want to fix this thread title. ;)

If I had 1 and a half year old twins, I'd be getting more wrong than just homophones.

... when you are working on your budget and you have to decided which is more important: Pull-ups or printer ink

Easy....printer ink. You can use old tee shirts for pull-ups. :D

...when your dc say "Keep reading." as habitually as "Did you know...?"

...when your preschooler can recite the Greek alphabet better than the English one.:lol:

...when your little dd plays "mommy" by teaching her dollies (and little brother) out of her old ETC workbooks and creating lesson plans in *her* binder.

...when you slam on your breaks, back up and jump out the car to ask a tree cutter if he could cut you a 1" slab off the tree he is cutting so your kids can use it to count rings.

...when your dd uses a skeleton she's learning the bones from as Barbie's husband.

...you use the front door window to teach algebra on because it is bigger then your white board.

...you check an order you just placed an hour ago to see if it shipped yet, then an hour later do it again, and again, and again.

...when a curriculum order gets shipped you check the tracking 20 times a day. (can you tell I am waiting for a package)

This is how sad my friend and I are. We live a 30-40 minute drive from the convention, but we are splitting the cost of a room (in our defense, her DH got us a discount through his employer on TOP OF the convention discount:D ). And DH has it on his calendar at work that he is Working From Home that Thurs and Fri afternoon. And friend and I are doing a 'BIG' (read: $$$) dinner on Saturday night before we head home.

Sounds wonderful! I hope you and your friend have a fabulous time.

I live about 4.5 hours away. Last year, I went down on Wednesday night (so I wouldn't have to fight traffic and could be there early for registration!) and stayed for 3 glorious nights at the Hyatt. I swam in the pool and used the treadmill every morning before heading off to the conference. My sister from the Columbus area, who also homeschools, came down for the day on Saturday to shop and we had a nice lunch together. It really was a great getaway weekend! Can't afford it this year, but maybe next year!

....you get excited with the UPS truck comes and you realize it's the new MCT curriculum you ordered the other day, and then you spend the rest of the afternoon mapping out how you're going to use it! :)

Yup, that happened to me today! Yippeeeeee! Grammar Island, here we come!!!!!!

This will be me in a few days; I can't wait!

:iagree: When the woman walking around your circle with her toddler gets dragged into your home after mentioning hsing and goes home with your copy of The WTM. Of course, I haven't seen her since then - and we live on post in a very small neighborhood. I think I may have frightened her! :lol::lol:

This made me LOL!:lol: