Menu

VA House Passed "Tebow Bill" HB 947

I think this still has to go to the State Senate, but the Virginia State Bill to permit homeschoolers to try out for public school sports teams passed the House today.

:hurray:

It makes me so pleased to consider that we could make decisions about homeschooling based on academics, maturity, and opportunities for growth without having to factor in the ability to compete in sports too.

(And it's funny how different my point of view is now, with a hard working club athlete than it was a decade ago with little kids. Glad life lets us change our minds.)

We live in Fairfax and I wrote an email to both my senator and rep about this. In our paper the other day, a Fairfax school official said something to the effect of it not being fair that a public school student has to carry such a heavy load of academics, and then be expected to walk out the door and do a two hour practice. He implied that for homeschool kids, it would be much easier. Interesting perspective since I had been told, just that morning, by the testing coordinator at Fairfax High, that my 9th grade student could not take the AP Bio test there, "since 9th graders aren't allowed to take AP tests."

Jeri

PS. Cleared up the AP Bio problem and she can take it there.

We live in Fairfax and I wrote an email to both my senator and rep about this. In our paper the other day, a Fairfax school official said something to the effect of it not being fair that a public school student has to carry such a heavy load of academics, and then be expected to walk out the door and do a two hour practice. He implied that for homeschool kids, it would be much easier. Interesting perspective since I had been told, just that morning, by the testing coordinator at Fairfax High, that my 9th grade student could not take the AP Bio test there, "since 9th graders aren't allowed to take AP tests."

Jeri

PS. Cleared up the AP Bio problem and she can take it there.

I will grant that my kids are not prepared for academic work when the bus goes through the neighborhood at 0630. On the other hand, we just knocked off at for the day at 5pm. And when there are teacher work days and snow delays, my kids are plugging away.

I liked how one info sheet pointed out that any five classes could qualify a student to play. Many hard working students are also student athletes. But there are also athletes who can maintain eligibility through standard classes and electives. Not to mention dual enrollment (and according to Rep Bell on the radio yesterday, virtual courses that are district provided).

Though when it comes down to brass tacks, I would anticipate Fairfax County being pretty stingy about granting access. But one step at a time.

PS. I spoke with the AP coordinator at Woodson today and she seemed quite helpful and nice.

I found a pic of the vote tally for anyone interested in how their rep voted.

I loved how one Tidewater delegate was reported as saying that this would be an "incursion" into the public schools. I thought that the big flaw in homeschooling was socialization. Wouldn't it be an essential public duty to make sure my kid knows how to lose gracefully?

I'd like to dig a little more into the claim another opponent made that it would hurt districts because they would have players show up that weren't counted in Average Daily Attendance. That doesn't quite make sense to me either.

haven't decided how I feel about this.

but the Anti people make me want to fight for it.

To be honest I'm not entirely sure how I feel either.

On the other hand, the local district permits partial enrollment in classes on a space available basis. Non public school students can do AP testing at public schools. Non public school students can take summer courses through the district (and must comply with the same emergency data info and vaccination requirements to do so).

So the boundary is already semi-permeable.

And while there are some areas and some sports where clubs and sport specific organizations reign supreme, that also can have the effect of making sport the provence of the well to do. It costs a couple thousand a year (or more) to swim with a swim club. Being able to swim just on a high school team could be the deciding factor for many families.

My personal preference would be to remove sports from schools entirely. Let the state athletic association, which is a private organization, do without the underwriting of the taxpayers. Open sports up to all eligible youth in town, regardless of the flavor of school they attend. But that isn't going to happen either.

And yeah, being told no gets me revved up too.

My personal preference would be to remove sports from schools entirely. Let the state athletic association, which is a private organization, do without the underwriting of the taxpayers. Open sports up to all eligible youth in town, regardless of the flavor of school they attend.

:iagree:

I like our MWR Youth Sports. Anyone can play up to age 18. Most children stop at the Jr. or High school age. I would like my children play on school teams when they are older if they are really good at it and it could give them a scholorship towards a college. Cousin recieved a scholorship for Track.

I found a pic of the vote tally for anyone interested in how their rep voted.

I loved how one Tidewater delegate was reported as saying that this would be an "incursion" into the public schools. I thought that the big flaw in homeschooling was socialization. Wouldn't it be an essential public duty to make sure my kid knows how to lose gracefully?

I'd like to dig a little more into the claim another opponent made that it would hurt districts because they would have players show up that weren't counted in Average Daily Attendance. That doesn't quite make sense to me either.

Where did you see that. I'm in that area.

wonder if he knows how many hser he has in his area.

To be honest I'm not entirely sure how I feel either.

On the other hand, the local district permits partial enrollment in classes on a space available basis. Non public school students can do AP testing at public schools. Non public school students can take summer courses through the district (and must comply with the same emergency data info and vaccination requirements to do so).

So the boundary is already semi-permeable.

And while there are some areas and some sports where clubs and sport specific organizations reign supreme, that also can have the effect of making sport the provence of the well to do. It costs a couple thousand a year (or more) to swim with a swim club. Being able to swim just on a high school team could be the deciding factor for many families.

My personal preference would be to remove sports from schools entirely. Let the state athletic association, which is a private organization, do without the underwriting of the taxpayers. Open sports up to all eligible youth in town, regardless of the flavor of school they attend. But that isn't going to happen either.

And yeah, being told no gets me revved up too.

yeah I know all about paying for sports. our oldest was a competative soccer player playing on a club team, he did have the opportunity to play on a wonderful hs team that really was a good team and several boys went on to play in college, including my son.

my other one is a swimmer. so he is already on a club and high school swimming would do nothing for him

A bill to allow hsers to play sports at ps was set to be introduced to our stayed legislature this session....after capitol day they made a huge call in campaign and the bill was tabled.... :confused: It only said students wishing to participate had to meet the same standards as all students participating. No regs for anyone else, only if your kid wants to play a sport or do band would you have to prove eligibility.

I am glad for those of you in VA who can get your kids in sports now.

A bill to allow hsers to play sports at ps was set to be introduced to our stayed legislature this session....after capitol day they made a huge call in campaign and the bill was tabled.... :confused: It only said students wishing to participate had to meet the same standards as all students participating. No regs for anyone else, only if your kid wants to play a sport or do band would you have to prove eligibility.

I am glad for those of you in VA who can get your kids in sports now.

hasn't happened yet, still has to go to the state Senate.

I'm confused about why anyone would not be "for" allowing homeschool students if they choose - to play on public school teams? I'm not confused about the school administrators / districts. I can see how they in their narrow view, would see this as more work and administration?

In WA State where I live, this is permissable. I just don't understand why anyone would think it was not appropriate for homeschoolers to be able to play on a local school's sports teams?

Maybe I am missing some information?

Lisaj

haven't decided how I feel about this.

but the Anti people make me want to fight for it.

I'm confused about why anyone would not be "for" allowing homeschool students if they choose - to play on public school teams? I'm not confused about the school administrators / districts. I can see how they in their narrow view, would see this as more work and administration?

In WA State where I live, this is permissable. I just don't understand why anyone would think it was not appropriate for homeschoolers to be able to play on a local school's sports teams?

Maybe I am missing some information?

Lisaj

https://www.facebook.com/groups/VirginiaPTA/ I don't think you have to have facebook to see it. You could also google Tim Tebow Bill VA and find articles, then read the comments.

THanks ZooRho,

I meant I didn't understand why homeschoolers might not support this. I am not trying to be argumentative, I just can't figure out why a homeschooler wouldn't think this oppty should be for all students, regardless of their schooling option. I know in my district, private school students play on public high school sports teams if a sport is not offered at the private school but is as the public school. So, there are clear precedents.

I figured it was this way everywhere. Apparently not.

Lisa J (who loves the idea of schools dropping sports and making those a community effort). That's just right on so many levels!

Thanks! I'll look up those fb things tomorrow. I do have to log in - at least for the first one.

Lisa J

I think the best argument against is that since homeschoolers would have to show academic status to be able to play that it would open up all homeschoolers to ongoing academic scrutiny.

Also that it removes the clarity between homeschool and govt school. Similar concerns to the objections to home study charters being referred to as homeschool. A fear that once the govt starts to put a special stamp of approval on one type of homeschooling that other homeschoolers will be considered negatively for not complying.

Fwiw sometimes it does have an impact on totally independent homeschoolers. As in the problems some are now having with admissions to PA colleges when they don't have a diploma from a homeschool education company. There was a thread about this a few months ago.

The one thing that I'm wondering about high school swim is if it would give more competition experience.

Exactly! AND... it allows kids to be part of a *team* experience. My boys swim competitively (year-round), and the *team* mentality is not stressed at all. Up here (in northern VA), swimming is very much an individual sport.

Just last weekend, we attended a meet at UVa, and my boys LOVED what they saw-- teammates encouraging one another on! Team unity, team purpose, team spirit... they were enthralled (and inspired :)

Membership (on a high school team) just may offer some of those same opportunities. In my opinion, there are valuable lessons to be learned through a true team experience.

Where did you see that. I'm in that area.

wonder if he knows how many hser he has in his area.

Took me a bit to remember where I'd seen that.

From an online article in The Roanoke Times.

The measure drew bipartisan opposition led by Del. Bob Tata, R-Virginia Beach, chairman of the House Education Committee, who noted that the state's school boards and superintendents oppose it.

"We're not ready for this type of incursion into our school system," he said.

One of the funny images I amuse myself with sometimes is what the schools would do if all the homeschoolers showed up at once, ready to enroll.

The measure drew bipartisan opposition led by Del. Bob Tata, R-Virginia Beach, chairman of the House Education Committee, who noted that the state's school boards and superintendents oppose it.

One of the funny images I amuse myself with sometimes is what the schools would do if all the homeschoolers showed up at once, ready to enroll.

See now them's fightin' words. If I am a taxpayer in VA then don't I have as much right to use taxpayer funded programs like athletics as anyone else? How can my kids be an incursion into something that they are eligible to use? This just fails the logic test. In addition, the reasons against homeschoolers using public school athletics tend to come from athletic governing boards out side the school system who monitor eligibility and such. So again...

I also don't see how a school can refuse to allow people to take AP/SAT/ACT tests etc. as they are registered as a testing site with the College Board and are not an independent testing facility? The fees are paid to the College Board not the school system.

Clearly I am naive when it comes to how things really work.

In the meantime I will be please if homeschoolers gain options like this around the country. You don't have to use them but it is another option.

Congratulations to those in VA! Every state that allows homeschoolers to participate in sports brings us more hope that someday we in MO will have the same privilege.

We are the opposite of many states. Our kids can participate in graded classes all they want, including band, but are excluded from sports only. Currently, students must be enrolled in the school for 90% of their academic load in order to participate in sports.

See now them's fightin' words. If I am a taxpayer in VA then don't I have as much right to use taxpayer funded programs like athletics as anyone else? How can my kids be an incursion into something that they are eligible to use? This just fails the logic test. In addition, the reasons against homeschoolers using public school athletics tend to come from athletic governing boards out side the school system who monitor eligibility and such. So again...

I also don't see how a school can refuse to allow people to take AP/SAT/ACT tests etc. as they are registered as a testing site with the College Board and are not an independent testing facility? The fees are paid to the College Board not the school system.

Clearly I am naive when it comes to how things really work.

In the meantime I will be please if homeschoolers gain options like this around the country. You don't have to use them but it is another option.

Well on the AP thing, I can understand needing to do it on a space available basis. FCPS tried to cut funding for AP tests last year and got their hats handed to them in a lawsuit, that pointed out that taking the exam was mandatory for students in the course and that there were no honors courses in most high schools other than AP level. So they are back to paying for the exam for students in the courses. If you aren't in the course, then FCPS students pay the cost of the exam fee ($87) and non-FCPS students pay $100, which covers a portion of protoring.

I could see a school objecting to having to proctor an exam they weren't scheduled to administer. There is a cost to administering the test. I just think if the test is being given, that the seats not used by students from that school should be available to others, even if they are not ps students or are not in the district. (Seems fiscally responsible too, since they can charge a little for proctoring and thus recover some % of the cost of proctoring for their own students. Probably not ever going to be a big revenue item, but it could provide an offset if done well.)

I do think that the high school athletic associations do have a reasonable concern that public school students will drop out, declare themselves homeschoolers and focus on athletics. What I don't agree with is the idea that you can't develop a measurement of appropriate annual progress that homeschoolers can easily meet. (Not that it would be easy material to master, but that the process would be navigable.)

Just as an example, the Stanford Achievement Test has sections on language arts, math, science and social studies. That is four topic areas. Add one more, and you're in. Or maybe some of the SOL end of course exams could work.

I just don't see that it's that difficult to demonstrate that learning is happening - at least to the level demanded in the minimum level ps courses. In other words, if a football player can maintain eligibility by taking standard level or vocational track courses and getting Ds in them, then the expectation ought not be that homeschoolers are doing AP or CC level work as freshmen and maintaining an A average. (To quote an old Navy boss, if the minimum wasn't good enough, it wouldn't be the minimum.)

And yeah, I find the term "incursion" distasteful when it is being applied to members of his community who have chosen not to attend public schools. It has more than a little whiff of maintaining a separation from something distasteful or dangerous or of breeching a barrier that ought to be unbreechable.

My rep, btw was one who voted against HB 947.

AH I see,

no very much okay to ask.

I'm not really for it, I would rather see hsers form thier own leagues, sports teams, drama, etc rather than use the system. We have had some great leagues in the area they will probably fall apart if this bill passes.

No I think there are only 16 states that allow access, others are looking into it.

I do fear for more oversight if things progress too.

THe FB was to the PTA so it will be against if from the System not hsers.

I know HSLDA remains neutral on the issue

THanks ZooRho,

I meant I didn't understand why homeschoolers might not support this. I am not trying to be argumentative, I just can't figure out why a homeschooler wouldn't think this oppty should be for all students, regardless of their schooling option. I know in my district, private school students play on public high school sports teams if a sport is not offered at the private school but is as the public school. So, there are clear precedents.

I figured it was this way everywhere. Apparently not.

Lisa J (who loves the idea of schools dropping sports and making those a community effort). That's just right on so many levels!

Thanks! I'll look up those fb things tomorrow. I do have to log in - at least for the first one.

Lisa J

thanks,

and isn't that the truth, seriously they have no idea how many are out here. I'm on a local eloop we have 1,200 members, BUT of my small group that I belong too only one is on the loop, so there are many many more out there.

and there are way more under the radar than they probably can imagine

The one thing that I'm wondering about high school swim is if it would give more competition experience.

Though to be honest my son doesn't have competitive times yet.

not for my son. He would be a top swimmer.

He swims at some pretty competative meets about once a month.

Are you on a club team?

My son has been on the VA Zone team for several years, he went to sectionals, and is shooting for the National Junior Meet on the next level for him.

So high school swimming would be a bit above rec league for him

You're probably looking at hs leagues from the position of living in a much larger town or even city. Besides my children, there are five other high school age hsers here--spread over a 3 county area bigger than many states. With one exception, those other hsers would have an hour drive just to GET to town. Out of those hsers, only two do the same sport: climbing. Two of the other hsers are interested in triathlons, but one winter and one summer tri competitor. Two swimmers, but one boy and one girl so their seasons don't overlap. Two basketball players, but again, one girl and one boy--different seasons. There are no leagues whatsoever after the age of 8 for anything save the schools. If we lived in Denver, it would be different, I'm sure.

yeah I do know that not everyone lives in an area that it is possible, SO it really is why I am conflicted, I haven't supported it but I won't speak against it either.

THis has been years in the making in VA. After unsuccessfully trying to come to an agreement with the VA High School League, a bill was introduced last year. It didn't make it out of committee. This is a victory especially for those in rural areas. If it makes it to the govenor to sign, only time will tell how much it will effect our homeschooling freedoms, though. Of course, my 11th grade ds is bummed that this has taken so long.

not for my son. He would be a top swimmer.

He swims at some pretty competative meets about once a month.

Are you on a club team?

My son has been on the VA Zone team for several years, he went to sectionals, and is shooting for the National Junior Meet on the next level for him.

So high school swimming would be a bit above rec league for him

Yeah, your son would be miles ahead of mine. This is his first year with a competitive club team. He swam for two years when we were overseas, but was sort of scared of competing and only did 1-2 meets. And because the team was military overseas, there was little continuity for coaches or swimmers.

Being able to compete in high school would probably increase the number of meets that he'd be eligible for, since he's not making anything with a cut time.

One of my frustrations is that he came to competitive swimming relatively late, so he's still building a lot of skills. Unfortunately, it seems like we're heading into a couple months where the only competitions will be for JOs and other regional type competitions or mini-meets for younger swimmers.

I don't mind his swimming in an open and just getting personal improvement. (This is the kid that joked about if a meet would have a ribbon for 93rd place.) But it seems like there won't be competition options for much past Feb. (I hope I'm wrong.)

It's funny how there are sports where high school is the apex of youth competition (football), some where high school is a parallel system and some where high school is distinctly below clubs (swimming, gymnastics, maybe soccer and baseball?)

You're probably looking at hs leagues from the position of living in a much larger town or even city. Besides my children, there are five other high school age hsers here--spread over a 3 county area bigger than many states. With one exception, those other hsers would have an hour drive just to GET to town. Out of those hsers, only two do the same sport: climbing. Two of the other hsers are interested in triathlons, but one winter and one summer tri competitor. Two swimmers, but one boy and one girl so their seasons don't overlap. Two basketball players, but again, one girl and one boy--different seasons. There are no leagues whatsoever after the age of 8 for anything save the schools. If we lived in Denver, it would be different, I'm sure.

It also begs the question of things like statements of faith to join the group that does the competition and what league they will compete in. A separate but equal system will never really be equivalent to the high school powerhouse sports programs.

I saw one comment elsewhere that "every homeschool group had a sports league", which I thought was pretty misinformed. There are so many homeschool groups that have no sports team at all or that are limited to small group softball and PE classes.

If all high school sports were paid through gate receipts and bake sales, I could see keeping them exclusive. But there are significant tax dollars going into those programs.

there are lots of others that start late too and do great so don't let him or you get discouraged.

Are you in the VA or the Potomaic valley swim. We are VA.

I know how VA runs.

I guess depending on the team there should be meets about once a month that he qualifies for doing. They usually do some kind of "qualifying big meets in Dec" and then the Champ season starts the end of Feb. He should qualify at least for the lowest level which should be open to all swimmers without other higher times. I think here they are called REgional meets. Sometimes I think they are 2 meets running internally at the same meet. Like B meet and a BB meet.

Then from there it would be either Age group Champs or Senior Champs depending on the level/age. From there it goes up to Zones, Sectionals, Junior Nationals, and Nationals. This year's Nationals is all about the Olympic trials though.

This also is what is called Short course, they are swimming in 25 yard pools /distance.

In Late April/May will start Long Course. It runs the same, there will be just regular meets during the begining then champs start in July, much shorter season. Long course is the 50 meter pools, better known as the olympic size pool.

And yes you are right there are some sports where the high school level isn't all that impt because the really good kids are also on club teams. My oldest did club soccer and youngest is club swimming. I think I have also heard of Tennis, gymnastics, baseball.

It is cracking me up that the outsiders are also ONLY seeing this as sports, but VHSL also controls the drama, speach, choir and band I think.

Yeah, your son would be miles ahead of mine. This is his first year with a competitive club team. He swam for two years when we were overseas, but was sort of scared of competing and only did 1-2 meets. And because the team was military overseas, there was little continuity for coaches or swimmers.

Being able to compete in high school would probably increase the number of meets that he'd be eligible for, since he's not making anything with a cut time.

One of my frustrations is that he came to competitive swimming relatively late, so he's still building a lot of skills. Unfortunately, it seems like we're heading into a couple months where the only competitions will be for JOs and other regional type competitions or mini-meets for younger swimmers.

I don't mind his swimming in an open and just getting personal improvement. (This is the kid that joked about if a meet would have a ribbon for 93rd place.) But it seems like there won't be competition options for much past Feb. (I hope I'm wrong.)

It's funny how there are sports where high school is the apex of youth competition (football), some where high school is a parallel system and some where high school is distinctly below clubs (swimming, gymnastics, maybe soccer and baseball?)

It is cracking me up that the outsiders are also ONLY seeing this as sports, but VHSL also controls the drama, speach, choir and band I think.

Actually, it controls *every* competition in which the public schools compete against other public schools.

FWIW, we also swim in VA. We have B/C champs coming up next weekend at the Chinn Center in Woodbridge. That will be our last short-course meet unless my dd drops a bit more time. I think there are 3 or 4 long course meets we can attend, one is at USNA, summer awards at the Freedom Center, and one or two more. The first one we're planning to attend is in May.

Edited by LisaK in VA

Actually, it controls *every* competition in which the public schools compete against other public schools.

FWIW, we also swim in VA. We have B/C champs coming up next weekend at the Chinn Center in Woodbridge. That will be our last short-course meet unless my dd drops a bit more time. I think there are 3 or 4 long course meets we can attend, one is at USNA, summer awards at the Freedom Center, and one or two more. The first one we're planning to attend is in May.

That is what I thought I wasn't 100% sure how much more they did.

WELL cause I'm out of the loop with the high school stuff.

I'm sort of cracking up, I know our local high school would LOVE to have my son, but because we have been in other circles with the coaches, there is no way he would want to swim with them AT ALL.

THEY burned that bridge.

any way. Yeah I don't know exactly when the lower meets are or who is included.

Our team is in Charge of the Regional meet so we will be there helping.

Have fun at the meet, SWIM FAST vil2_crawl.gif

there are lots of others that start late too and do great so don't let him or you get discouraged.

Are you in the VA or the Potomaic valley swim. We are VA.

I know how VA runs.

I guess depending on the team there should be meets about once a month that he qualifies for doing. They usually do some kind of "qualifying big meets in Dec" and then the Champ season starts the end of Feb. He should qualify at least for the lowest level which should be open to all swimmers without other higher times. I think here they are called REgional meets. Sometimes I think they are 2 meets running internally at the same meet. Like B meet and a BB meet.

Then from there it would be either Age group Champs or Senior Champs depending on the level/age. From there it goes up to Zones, Sectionals, Junior Nationals, and Nationals. This year's Nationals is all about the Olympic trials though.

This also is what is called Short course, they are swimming in 25 yard pools /distance.

In Late April/May will start Long Course. It runs the same, there will be just regular meets during the begining then champs start in July, much shorter season. Long course is the 50 meter pools, better known as the olympic size pool.

And yes you are right there are some sports where the high school level isn't all that impt because the really good kids are also on club teams. My oldest did club soccer and youngest is club swimming. I think I have also heard of Tennis, gymnastics, baseball.

We're Potomac Valley. Good to hear that they will switch to long course. I think he'll enjoy that too.

Alas, his first year of swimming suffered from 6 weeks in a cast in the middle of the year. He still has several events that he is a NT.

He's set to do the 18 and under Champs in Feb, because those were NFT times. I am hoping that a few more opportunities to swim will crop up.

And it's a good point about all of the other competitions that also exclude homeschoolers. I remember a brouhaha years back over a big science fair in Texas. Even though it was hosted by a local university, the controlling org was a high school group that would not even consider allowing homeschoolers to participate.

We were in CT for many years. There, you don't even have to tell them your kid exists! There is no require to file a NOI unless you have a child in school and choose to disenroll. However, you get *no* services by the school unless the district you happen to live in chooses to let you. So, my youngest with speech issues was disqualified from that. On the flip side, there were no requirements to "present" anything, including testing, portfolios, etc. In other words, you take care of yours and we won't interfere.

My take here in VA is that if I am required to jump through hoops, including paying for end of year testing for six kids, I *do* want a say in how they spend our school tax dollars. So I think involvement in school sports is great!

Jeri

So does this mean that under the same bill kids would get access as homeschoolers to bands, choirs and theater? Or at least the opportunity to try out to join these groups?