Menu

High school science?

Can anyone compare the material covered in Apologia vs Abeka?

For example, do you need to use chem 1 and Chen 2 of apologia to cover the same material as Abeka chem? What about the other subjects?

ETA: I think I researched this already a bit back - but I can't find the info now and don't remember anything more than being okay with Apologia if it was working for the student.

Which begs the question why don't many use Abeka?

Wayyyy back before I actually ever had a high schooler, I swore I'd never use Abeka or Apologia. (ahh, remember that? It was like parenting opinions before you have kids, yes?:D)

These are simply the most affordable and easy to use materials I have found so far.

Good question - I know many use A-beka for elementary school years, but a lot drop it for high school. No idea why.

I wish I had known about Apologia as we would likely have used all their books in elementary school years. Yes I remember how brilliant I used to be before I had my daughter!!! And before I homeschooled, I wondered why anyone would want to do that to their child .. :lol:

In the elementary school years, I used books which were mostly $5.99 or so and an expensive book was $8.99 or even $12.99 for Core Knowledge. I remember how hard it was to get over the cost for Saxon as that was the first hugely expensive book we bought. :lol: Now I'm in college bookstores looking at used prices close to $200 ... :tongue_smilie:

I can tell you why I don't use ABeka science. Using Abeka textbooks in the middle school years made my science loving boy turn into a science hater. Moving to Apologia has turned him back into a science lover who reads voraciously on the subject. This year we've added a science tutor who has sparked that love even more by taking the material in Apologia and helping him to see the relevance of what he is reading.