Menu

Opinionated

I'm going into my 5th year of Homeschooling....6th if you count K4....9th if you count birth on....

Until very recently, I've been "it's not for everyone" in my approach.....but, the more I do it, the more my kids grow, the more I see the blessings that are my family, the more that opinion shrinks and it's replaced with a bolder approach.

Does this get worse as time goes on? Veteran homeschoolers....do you get bolder and more opinionated with AGE, or do you mellow with age?

I'm going into my 5th year of Homeschooling....6th if you count K4....9th if you count birth on....

Until very recently, I've been "it's not for everyone" in my approach.....but, the more I do it, the more my kids grow, the more I see the blessings that are my family, the more that opinion shrinks and it's replaced with a bolder approach.

Does this get worse as time goes on? Veteran homeschoolers....do you get bolder and more opinionated with AGE, or do you mellow with age?

I don't know. I'm in my 7th year and I am still of the opinion that it isn't for everyone.

Part of my problem is that the older my boy gets and the more I worry about getting through these older grades and I actually feel like my friends who put there kids in school have it so easy. I would never trade homeschooling. I love it and it's what works best, but I am a bit scared of how much work is involved with the older grades.

It's probably just my anxiety showing:)

So I would say no, I haven't become any bolder than I was before. I am on the board of a large homeschool group and even then I feel like I can't recommend it for everyone. Other's on the board are more die hard and feel anyone can do it.

Maybe a few more years..........

My mother has definitely mellowed with age. She was something of a "pioneer", and had the zeal of a new convert thinking it was the best thing ever.

I'd say she's *very* strongly of the "it's not for everyone" persuasion now. She's my firm ally in home schooling and a wonderful resource -- but she doesn't think everyone (or, necessarily, even most people) should home school.

I guess I've been home schooling (as a parent, lol) about as long as you have, and I can't say I've become more opinionated either. In fact, quite the opposite. I think home schooling is fabulous. But no, not for everyone. By a long stretch.

My mother has definitely mellowed with age. She was something of a "pioneer", and had the zeal of a new convert thinking it was the best thing ever.

I'd say she's *very* strongly of the "it's not for everyone" persuasion now. She's my firm ally in home schooling and a wonderful resource -- but she doesn't think everyone (or, necessarily, even most people) should home school.

I guess I've been home schooling (as a parent, lol) about as long as you have, and I can't say I've become more opinionated either. In fact, quite the opposite. I think home schooling is fabulous. But no, not for everyone. By a long stretch.

:iagree:

I think I know what you mean, and I think I am similar. I used to think that homeschooling, even when it worked well, was just one of many different equal choices. I can't really honestly say I totally believe that now, because *when it works well* for a family, I really think the benefits of homeschooling are not easily matched by other educational options.

Of course there are families for whom homeschooling can't be an option, for a variety of reasons. But all other things being equal, I do think that homeschooling *could* work for many, many people, and would be a wonderful thing for many of them.

Erica

I'm finishing my 6th year of formal home education. I started out a lot more sure of the rightness of homeschooling, both for my own family and for everyone else's. I was probably kind of a pain about it because I was so sure that my decision was the best way to go. Now, I see benefits to attending traditional schools, even though I remain convinced that homeschooling is the best choice for my own family. It isn't for everyone, though. Thankfully, we have a choice. :)

I agree that it's not for everyone but.....

I think that if more people seriously considered it they'd find that they could. It's like so many other things that we think "I couldn't possibly do that" and then later find out that we could indeed. I think that's it. I'd like to see more people challenge their dominant paradigm, you know?

Sometimes I think it's more won't than can't....but, I'm in my opinionated week.;)

I agree - I think it's most often "won't" rather than "can't."

Seriously, if I can do this, anyone can. I am not joking. I am not organized nor do I find teaching math easy and fun. I yell at my kids more than I should too. And yet, they are learning and thriving and they love being home.

However, I do believe that if someone doesn't want to then they probably shouldn't (kinda like having kids). They *might* find that they love it but I think they have to really want to in order for it to work.

Sometimes I think it's more won't than can't....but, I'm in my opinionated week.;)

'zackly! Is Aunt Flo with you? Is she making you more opinionated? She does that to me. I can't wait til she stops coming here, she's driving me nuts.

While I have always appreciated the benefits and blessings of homeschooling, I've never thought it is for everyone. I honestly think that some people have no business homeschooling...Not trying to be harsh--it's just my opinion. I'm talking about the people who don't take the job seriously enough to see that their children actually receive a quality education...and the people who don't have enough underlying passion and motivation to see a very daunting task through. (Yes, there are days I have absolutely zero passion/motivation/patience/vision...so I'm not meaning to sound judgmental or anything.) I just think that there are some wonderful, loving, nurturing parents out there who simply lack either the motivation and/or confidence, desire, ideal life situation, or whatever else, to be able to homeschool their children. These parents, IMO, make the right decision to put their children into school. They know themselves and their situations well enough to know that they just aren't cut out for homeschooling.

Now, I know there are parents out there who haven't even considered homeschooling who I think would do a fabulous job. Whenever I get to know people like this, I usually encourage them to consider it. Maybe they just need a nudge to boost their confidence, or a little pep talk to push them over the edge. These people generally say things like, "Boy, I'd sure love to homeschool, but I don't think I could do it"...OR..."I don't have enough patience to homeschool."

To sum up, I think homeschooling is ideal for my family, and would be ideal for many others who aren't currently homeschooling. But I don't think it's for everyone.

While I have always appreciated the benefits and blessings of homeschooling, I've never thought it is for everyone. I honestly think that some people have no business homeschooling...Not trying to be harsh--it's just my opinion. I'm talking about the people who don't take the job seriously enough to see that their children actually receive a quality education...and the people who don't have enough underlying passion and motivation to see a very daunting task through. (Yes, there are days I have absolutely zero passion/motivation/patience/vision...so I'm not meaning to sound judgmental or anything.) I just think that there are some wonderful, loving, nurturing parents out there who simply lack either the motivation and/or confidence, desire, ideal life situation, or whatever else, to be able to homeschool their children. These parents, IMO, make the right decision to put their children into school. They know themselves and their situations well enough to know that they just aren't cut out for homeschooling.

Now, I know there are parents out there who haven't even considered homeschooling who I think would do a fabulous job. Whenever I get to know people like this, I usually encourage them to consider it. Maybe they just need a nudge to boost their confidence, or a little pep talk to push them over the edge. These people generally say things like, "Boy, I'd sure love to homeschool, but I don't think I could do it"...OR..."I don't have enough patience to homeschool."

To sum up, I think homeschooling is ideal for my family, and would be ideal for many others who aren't currently homeschooling. But I don't think it's for everyone.

So.......do you find that this opinion gets stronger as you mature as a homeschooler? :D

...because *when it works well* for a family, I really think the benefits of homeschooling are not easily matched by other educational options.

Of course there are families for whom homeschooling can't be an option, for a variety of reasons. But all other things being equal, I do think that homeschooling *could* work for many, many people, and would be a wonderful thing for many of them.

I think we're talking about totally different things, Erica. Assuming that all the pieces are in place for home schooling to work well, I *do* think it's almost impossible to match it (at least in the early years -- I'm not convinced of this for the teen years) in terms of quality (academically, for emotional development, family closeness) with other educational options. ...

What I disagree with is that home schooling is always the best option for individual families. I think there are a great many families who don't have all those pieces in place to make home schooling a positive experience (academically, emotionally)... So no, I don't think everyone should be home schooling or that it's always better. Not in the real world.

I think we're talking about totally different things, Erica. Assuming that all the pieces are in place for home schooling to work well, I *do* think it's almost impossible to match it (at least in the early years -- I'm not convinced of this for the teen years) in terms of quality (academically, for emotional development, family closeness) with other educational options. ...

What I disagree with is that home schooling is always the best option for individual families. I think there are a great many families who don't have all those pieces in place to make home schooling a positive experience (academically, emotionally)... So no, I don't think everyone should be home schooling or that it's always better. Not in the real world.

:iagree:

However, when I started homeschooling, I honestly believed that in general it was the best educational option, and that every family would be better off for trying. I was very opinionated about that.

I've certainly mellowed on that attitude. I now understand that there are families who, as Abbey says, don't have all the pieces in place to make it work, whether by circumstance or by choice.

I totally agree with the ones who said that they people who reply with "Oh, I cant do that"....is more like "I dont want to do that."

Sadly, a lot of people have kids but do not care to spend much time with them. I cringe every time I hear people say "I cannot wait until school starts back." Or something like "Summer is here.....I dont know what I'm supposed to do with my kids all day." Ummmm....Hello.....You had them, didnt you??? So spend time with them already!! I mean, I have days where my 15 month old is screaming and pulling on my legs and my four year old is driving me up the wall....and I wonder about enrolling in daycare LOL.....but would never do it. I guess I just dont understand why people dont like spending time with their own children.

If more people were more open to homeschooling, I think it would work well in a lot of situations. Of course, not all of them.....such as ones with neglectful/abusive/etc parents. But I really do think more people should give homeschooling a try.

Not sure that I actually answered your question there LOL!

So.......do you find that this opinion gets stronger as you mature as a homeschooler? :D
Hee-hee...Good question. I guess I think that I've always thought this way, but, yeah, my opinions could be "solidifying" as I mature. I sure can't blame A.F. for that post! :tongue_smilie: Another way of looking at it is that I've never had strong opinions either for or against "homeschooling for all." I believe it is a personal/family decision that looks different for everyone.

However, when I started homeschooling, I honestly believed that in general it was the best educational option, and that every family would be better off for trying. I was very opinionated about that.

I've certainly mellowed on that attitude. I now understand that there are families who, as Abbey says, don't have all the pieces in place to make it work, whether by circumstance or by choice.

This is where I was, and am now as well. I am still totally committed to homeschooling my own children, though. If I couldn't I would do whatever it took to get them into an ACCS school short of robbing a bank.:D

I've mellowed in thinking it's all that and a bag of chips :D, but I never was looking for people to convert. I actually knew I was a little far out there for even doing it, and as long as people didn't bother me about it, I left them to their happy school experiences. (Which aren't happy, and for some odd reason, numerous moms must feel like I'm a 'safe' person to talk to about how unhappy they are!). But these people all know I homeschool, so I figured if they were looking for another option, they'd say, "So I am just tired of it - tell me about homeschooling." But no one ever does. They just knew they could vent to me and I wasn't in the loop enough for it to spread around. :) I never said they might consider homeschooling, though. They know it's an option, and if they're interested, they'll ask.

I do think a lot of people assume homeschooling is much harder than it really is, and that's why they don't even consider it. Sometimes, people do ask me, "How do you do it?!?", but I really do think it was easier for me starting at the beginning. We just did K, then 1st, then kept going. I imagine it's harder to jump in halfway through their school years, but plenty do it and seem just fine to me.

I'm more of a 'live and let live' kind of person. I really don't think anyone who is genuinely unhappy with their school wouldn't have heard of homeschooling at least enough to know whether it's an option they might consider. If they want to know, they'll ask.

Maybe you're feeling more opinionated because you're hitting your groove! :)

I am always amazed by the number of people who say, "Oh, I could never do that." As if I ever thought I could! But I do. And, no, it's not perfect. But I've seen my daughter in both the public school setting and the homeschool setting. Academically, she does better in the homeschool setting because I don't create homework for homework's sake and I give her a break when I know she needs it, not when a rote schedule dictates it.

But as for 'telling others,' I tell them, "It's not about me."