Menu

Singapore & Miquon together

SJ.

We are going to be starting Miquon math very soon and we are using Singapore for our spine. For those that use both do you just use each program independently or do you plan lessons so similar ones coincide or so one reinforces the other?

I use Singapore as our main math curriculum and Miquon for reinforcement. Sometimes I've found that when ds is having difficulties understanding a concept in Singapore, the way Miquon works through it can help things finally click. Sometimes this means we work concurrently in both - the Singapore lesson first followed by similar pages in Miquon for more practice. Other times, we might work through the unit in Singapore all the way through and use Miquon as review material while continuing ahead in Singapore. Still other times, it might mean that we don't use Miquon at all.

We use the HIG, textbook, workbook, and IP for Singapore plus the workbooks, c-rods, rod track, and Lab Sheet Annotations from Miquon for the appropriate grade level. I have an assortment of manipulatives with Singapore, some of which I already had on hand and some that I bought specifically to use with it.

Next year I'm not entirely sure what I'll do. I'm thinking about adding in Singapore CWP (because ds seems to enjoy word problems) and dropping Miquon altogether. I haven't quite decided for sure, but I did find that combining both Singapore and Miquon the past two years has worked wel for us.

ETA: There is a chart online somewhere that shows where both Singapore and Miquon cover similar topics that was helpful in planning things out at first, but it's not on the computer I'm using. Maybe someone else here might have it.

I have one child who has finished the Miquon / Singapore combo and another who is about halfway through, and one for whom Singapore did not work at all.

For those who did / are doing the combo, we worked through each series independently. First a book from Singapore then a book from Miquon. Sometimes we would do two books from one series then switch back to the other. I never tried to coordinate anything, we just worked through the books.

The one thing that we have done that I haven't seen mentioned, is that we sometimes switched mid-book. If a child hits a wall with a subject (subtraction, fractions, division...) we sometimes just switch to the other series. It doesn't seem to matter which series we are in, it works both ways. We just pick up where they left off (in the new series) and by the time they get to the trouble subject in that series, it is no longer a trouble subject. Or if that subject doesn't come up, I just have them finish the book and then go back to the "old book" with the trouble subject and somehow it is no longer a problem.

This may be because my children seem to fly through math books and sometimes need a few weeks to let a topic "simmer" before they really "get" it.