Menu

Help me diagnose WWE issue

hollyhock

I am several weeks into WWE 3 with my soon-to-be 8yo son. He is a bit young for it, technically in 2nd grade now, but he had no trouble with WWE 2 so we moved on.

The issue he is having is that he has a hard time remembering facts about a given passage if he reads it to himself. If I read it to him, he does very well. But there is something about reading it alone that doesn't work for him.

So is this a maturity issue? Or could it be that he is more auditory than visual? Anyone have any ideas?

For the time being, I have gone back to just reading passages to him and sometime in the future we will try going back to independent reading.

Have you tried having him read it twice? My older son needed to read the passages twice many times to retain the story. My 6 year old is doing WWE3 right now, and he too sometimes needs to reread stories. My rule is "if you get 2 questions wrong, then you need to go back and reread the passage." This has also helped him read more carefully the first time ;)