Menu

Public School at Home Experiences?

Just Robyn

My state will be offering both K12 and Connections Academy public school at home options for the first time next year. Money is very tight for us and so I have found myself wondering how I will possibly pay for curriculum for next year, so I feel I need to at least consider the public school at home option. I would love to hear the experiences with this that others here have had. I also have some specific questions.

Have any of you done public school at home but still had your child take some class(es) in a brick and mortar public school?

If a particular part of the given curriculum didn't work for your child, what did you do?

What is the accountability like? I realize with K12 (I know less about Connections) students are required to log in and check boxes for attendance and claiming to have completed assignments, but does anyone other than the parent actually view the assignment?

Will they make any changes to their prescribed curriculum for a given year? My 4th grader has been doing US History all year this year and it looks like both public school at home options have US History for 5th grade.

Do you need to return non-consumable items at the end of the school year?

That's all I can think of but any experience/info is appreciated. General comments along the lines of, "I would never give up my freedom to get curriculum for free," are not helpful. Thank you.

It really does vary from state to state. In VA, the number of hoops increased from year 1 to year 2 (many times, they are still figuring things out during the first year).

We used K12 for 2 years, we had to log attendance (although, I didn't track actual time, I used their rec'd times and added time if necessary for extra assignments. This is what K12 will tell you to do). We also could check off time for a non-K12 learning activity, and PE. We had no trouble meeting requirements with hours.

The hoops that became really frustrating had to do with state testing, required Study Island sessions, and some other things that were just "too much" for us to continue.

That said, if K12 high school were an option in our area, I would be willing to do that, if I felt it was in our best interests, and I wouldn't be opposed to having my kids (some of them, not all of them) in K12 VA again.

You do not have a choice about switching anything except maybe math. If 5th is US History, its US History.

If a particular part doesn't work for your child, too bad. Just like PS, you have no choice. Now you may get a very flexible teacher who will work with you on it.

I think their teacher is supposed to check their attendance and assignments. Maybe not daily. But there is someone they report to.

K12 is excellent as far as materials go. I don't know about Connections Academy. I am looking at the same thing for my older two.

Would it work for you to go with all OM and keep your math and phonics? Just an idea. The yahoo group might have what you need for sale used or Crystal might have some books as Seconds.

The K12 materials are great. You do have to return the non-consumable stuff. It wasn't a big deal to check off attendance and completed assignments. All in all, I would do K12 again if I had to. I guess it was just annoying to have someone to answer to all the time, at least that was the way I felt. The teacher assigned to us was very nice. I really had no complaints, we just left because I rather liked to do things our own way.

The K12 materials are great. You do have to return the non-consumable stuff. It wasn't a big deal to check off attendance and completed assignments. All in all, I would do K12 again if I had to. I guess it was just annoying to have someone to answer to all the time, at least that was the way I felt. The teacher assigned to us was very nice. I really had no complaints, we just left because I rather liked to do things our own way.

:iagree:

You do not have a choice about switching anything except maybe math. If 5th is US History, it's US History.

If a particular part doesn't work for your child, too bad. Just like PS, you have no choice.

Yep. A major downside of online ps.

We used a k12 charter last year. Some of the curriculum was great. Some if it, math in particular did not work out. This meant that I supplemented with something else. My dear mother had to go in and take 4th grade math tests for the remainder of the year.

Aside from math, what is disliked was that I had one kid on the American Revolution and another on Egypt. I really like combining when it makes sense and I did not have the flexibility to do that.

One mom here had a 4th grader and a 2nd grader and the school let her do 3rd grade history and science. They said mine were too far apart. But, there is apparently some flexibility there if you ask.

I may look into this again for high school in a few years -if only I could do my own math!

I am also looking at this option for next year due to budgeting issues - has anyone ever used either K12 or Connections for more than 1 child at a time? They look like they are heavily computer based - do you need a seperate computer for each child?

Thanks!!

Oh, we did not need more than one computer - they give you one, at least here in Colorado. The youngest was hardly on the computer at all. The oldest used it more often. I needed it most of all.

No personal experience to give you pros and cons -- just one piece of information that may not even fit for you or be of any importance, BUT...

If you are part of a homeschool group, you may no longer qualify to be a member by switching to this educational option. Many homeschool groups do not permit K12 and other public/charter-school-at-home families to be members of the group, as it is still falls under public school headship, and many homeschool groups do not want to legally "blur" the boundaries between public school (at home) and homeschool.

((hugs)) It is always hard to have to make changes based on economics. As you gather information, did you happen to see this thread? It's always nice to research all your options as you make tough choices! BEST of luck as you make your decision! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
added info

We were in a K12 charter for 2 years.

Most of the curriculum is fine but their new math is REALLY bad! Last year, for 1st grade, we did all Math Mammoth instead of the K12 math. I just did the assessments and marked off the lessons. This school year, I tried really hard to do the K12 math. But the day they introduced 3 digit addition and subtraction with regrouping (all in one day), I freaked out and switched to SM. We left the charter in October.

I also used FLL and WWE along with the K12 LA.

We didn't have any portfolios, just one work sample from each subject area turned in once/quarter.

My 7th grader is doing IN CA. It's fine. She, however, can set herself down and do her work without prompting. It's not terribly rigorous but she reads constantly and has several activities that enrich it for her. Our homeschool group had no problem with her using it. That said, she did PS and was familiar with that way of doing things. I would prefer to homeschool her but it's not her wish. She does get Brainpop and Discovery education we've used for the whole family.

We used a k12 charter last year. Some of the curriculum was great. Some if it, math in particular did not work out. This meant that I supplemented with something else. My dear mother had to go in and take 4th grade math tests for the remainder of the year.

Aside from math, what is disliked was that I had one kid on the American Revolution and another on Egypt. I really like combining when it makes sense and I did not have the flexibility to do that.

One mom here had a 4th grader and a 2nd grader and the school let her do 3rd grade history and science. They said mine were too far apart. But, there is apparently some flexibility there if you ask.

I may look into this again for high school in a few years -if only I could do my own math!

Bold mine--What do you mean by this statement? :confused:

Bold mine--What do you mean by this statement? :confused:

Oh, the math at his age was primarily online so, to fulfill our requirements we had to carry on the view that he was doing that math, though we had switched to math mammoth. So, my mom was sweet enough to go in and do a lesson each day. Sometimes she would call me up and say, " I just failed another 4th grade math test!" :lol: Like another poster said above, I really didn't like the math.

I know the motivations for doing this are financial, and I can totally relate. But I read a bit more about this recently and it did raise some concerns beyond the hoops you have to jump through.

The more homeschoolers enroll in school, the fewer "free agents" there will be to advocate for the rest of us - remember, the freedom to homeschool was hard-won and easily lost if it seems that a majority of us are sending our kids to (virtual) schools anyway.

Also, of course, local schools and boards can possibly use the quantities of "homeschoolers" they're enrolling to get additional funding - funding which I believe ultimately belongs in the hands of parents to do with as they see fit, not in the hands of public boards of education.

That said - in the interest of full disclosure! - after many years and paying tens of $1000s for private Jewish education, my oldest does now attend a publicly-funded online high school run by a public board. It is SUCH a relief after so many years of paying for everything ourselves to just sit back and let the government chip in for his education. What a hypocrite I am...

without out charter school help.

With our charter school I am able to order anything I like as long it is a vendor. Rainbow Resource is a vendor but the things I order cannot be religious unless it is history I believe.

I am using various math programs. I don;t have to follow the schools / state books. We do have to take Star testing and such.

I do get extra perks such as Study Island to prepare for the Star testing and our charter school provides online classes to prepare for the Star writing test.

K12 is extremely strenuous and probably not as flexible as the Charter school option. I am able to pick and choose any curriculum I want. I choose a variety to make sure everything is covered. I am a bit neurotic about everything due to the fact I am homeschooling dsds (dear step daughters) whose mother would do anything to get to stop me from homeschooling them and get full custody. I have the kids full time except for one night every two weeks. So I don;t give her any reason to think that they are just relaxing all day.

If you are part of a homeschool group, you may no longer qualify to be a member by switching to this educational option. Many homeschool groups do not permit K12 and other public/charter-school-at-home families to be members of the group, as it is still falls under public school headship, and many homeschool groups do not want to legally "blur" the boundaries between public school (at home) and homeschool.

This must really depend on where you are located, because I've been part of several HS support groups over the past 6 years, and in ALL of them, the majority of families had their children in a charter. Under CA education law, there is no such thing as "homeschooling". All students are either enrolled in PS (classroom-based or independent study) or private school (ditto).

I did an online information session with Connections Academy. I thought it amusing that they pointed out specifically that it is NOT homeschooling. In middle school my son would have had to be at the computer for live classes many times per week at set times. I believe you rarely have any curriculum choice. You can supplement any way you want as long as you check off their boxes though. Brownie

This must really depend on where you are located, because I've been part of several HS support groups over the past 6 years, and in ALL of them, the majority of families had their children in a charter. Under CA education law, there is no such thing as "homeschooling". All students are either enrolled in PS (classroom-based or independent study) or private school (ditto).

Agree. :)

The educational law in our state (along with most other southwest/midwest states) has been very open and unrestricted with homeschooling, with NO requirements of oversight by a charter or umbrella school (as in CA), or having to have curriculum and lesson plans approved or checked (as in some of the East Coast states). Homeschooling is called homeschooling here, and under state education law, is a full-fledged third option (public/charter schools, and private schools are the other two options); only public/charter schools are restricted by state law educational requirements (i.e., required testing; required specific coursework in K-8; required graduation requirements for high school; number of days and hours per day in classroom; etc.).

But, in the southwest/midwest states in the past few years, there have been noises made towards a little more regulation (by non-homeschooling factions). In addition, K-12 and virtual charter schools are on the rise as an attractive free school-at-home option.

As a result of these two things, homeschool groups in the southwest/midwest fear getting "trapped" into more state regulation by allowing a "blurring" of the distinction between public-school-at-home and true homeschooling. (A sort of "Trojan Horse" fear.) Regretfully, that has resulted in very specific eligibility definitions by many homeschool groups, which exclude the virtual and charter/public-school-at-home options, since they still fall under public school regulations. sigh. I guess, as with all things, there are pros and cons to each choice, and we don't get to just "cherry-pick" all the pros. ;)

I have always been in awe of those (like yourself in CA, or those in PA and other more restrictive East Coast states) who homeschool and simultaneously have to navigate so many tricky regulations, paperwork things, etc. You all are doing a great job on TWO fronts! :hurray:

Edited by Lori D.

I have three kiddos in the Texas K12 program, 3rd, 5th, 9th. We just started last November. So, far we are really enjoying it. The only thing I would change of course is the standardized testing but I see this as only a small headache. My kids are getting a great education. It is less stress on me mentally and financially. In Texas, we don't have the option of doing charter and half homeschooling. It is all or nothing.

I love the history, science, literature, and the art is amazing! I could do with out their math program and health classes. Their language arts is okay. I just supplement for math with LOF and Rightstart games. The math program just moves way to fast for my kids but they do enjoy the animations and games.

We did not qualify to get computers. We were lucky and my parents helped up buy laptops for our kids last Christmas. There is no way we could do school with three kids with out them having their own computers. Most of the younger kids' work is offline but they have to log onto their daily plan to see what is next on their list and to print out things for each assignment. Switching back and forth between kids' plans was a pain,especially if we were in an online class or doing a lesson online. The online classes, if you are required to go, for 3rd and 5th grade are all scheduled at the same times. Plus, highschool is ALL on the computer.

Another benefit for us is that we do have a teacher to help us. My youngest is behind in reading. So, she tutors him once a week and has set us up with a recovery reading program on his level. My oldest struggles in math. So, she has an Algebra tutor and is part of their National Math Lab program to fill in the gaps. So, they are getting the help they need that I couldn't provide for them. I am NOT a math person! :)

We just signed my 4th grader up in January. Be aware that what the sales person tells you may not be exactly as it is. I don't think the woman I spoke to lied or anything. I just think there was miscommunication and misunderstanding on both ends. I asked about whether or not my child could move up if he could do the work. Salesperson said yes. Found out now that it is only for math and LA.

Here are the pros and cons so far.

Pros:

My usually unmotivated son is totally motivated by the competition in the online class.

He also loves checking off lessons and seeing his progress.

He begs to play Study Island. Older son does, too. Study Island is fantastic.

Son can work independently.

He is excelling and feeling good about himself. Before K12, I taught him and his older brother together. I think he always felt second best. Now that he is out from older brother's shadow, he is growing more confident.

The school tries hard to foster a community feeling. There are weekly field trips, online mentor classes, social get togethers, etc.

The online classes are pretty fun. Ds loves them.

Cons:

Some subjects are not that great. Music leaps to mind. Boring and fairly useless, imho. We fly through the lessons and just work on piano at home.

Biggest con is what I mentioned before. They will not move him up. He has been in class for 5 weeks. He's already finished all of science and social studies, 75% through math, 50% through most of the other lessons. Found out today that they will advance his math and LA if his teacher signs off on it in April. Was told to slow him down. I let him go through at his own pace b/c I figured they would move him along if he finished the course work. Wrong. Oh well. Will spend more time focused on his outside classes and competitions I guess.

In summary - overall K12 has been good for ds. Not sure we'll keep using it next year. It's a big change from homeschooling and being in complete control of his curriculum and speed. In the grand scheme of things, I'm pretty happy that my biggest problem is a son who is now motivated and wants to hit the books. Big change from tears, tantrums and fights that we were having fall semester.