Menu

General Anesthesia for removing wisdom teeth?

Just back from the oral surgeon, and he wants to give my dd, age 17, general anesthesia when he removes her wisdom teeth. There are no difficult aspects to the surgery.... in fact, three of the teeth are already starting to come through the gums.

Besides the fact that the surgeon "just prefers it that way", is there any reason for general anesthesia? I would rather do it with locals (that's how I did it, with no complications), rather than stand the risks associated with general anesthesia.

Comments? Words of Wisdom? Answers?

I am :bigear:

ETA: My dd is asthmatic.

Edited by Jackie in NE

I'm using general anesthesia on Monday for a tooth extraction and implant. I have an anxiety disorder and I'm terrified of any work on my teeth. I even get a little nervous with a cleaning. The oral surgeon said that many people do fine without it but I can't risk a panic attack during the procedure.

Did he not give you an option? How does your dd feel about it?

BTW, an oral surgeon is not the same thing as a dentist.

DH will not allow anyone but an anesthesiologist to put our family under so we just get locals for stuff like that. There's no way I'd have GA done in a dentist's office.

Yes, good point. This is not a dentist, it is an oral surgeon..... that's all he does. But I didn't think to ask if there would be an anesthesiologist administering the meds, monitoring the patient, etc.

I had a local, like you, and didn't have any trouble, but my three kids have all had general. I didn't love it but they all came through it fine and it seems to be just the way things are done. If I were to be cynical, I would say it is just easier for the oral surgeon. But I think it is easier on some kids as well and so they do it that way for everyone.

My youngest was just talking about his dentist last night. They routinely give them nitrous and refer to things by babyish terms. He said, and I have mentioned to the doctor, that he is not afraid and is fine hearing the real terminology and knowing he is getting a shot but it is so routine for the doctor to deal with fearful kids that they just do it this way for everyone, regardless.

This was our experience even though we had two different oral surgeons and various configurations of wisdom teeth.

eta: My teeth were done by my dentist. My kids were all done by an oral surgeon on referral. Maybe you need to find a dentist that still does extractions. Our oral surgeons were both basically wisdom tooth extraction assembly lines - I think that is all they do at the offices.

Edited by jcooperetc

three of mine had a general. the one who didn't was 20, and they were completely in so they were only an extraction. I had a general.

because more is invovled with removing impacted teeth, as opposed to extracting teeth that have already fully erupted, the dentist will generally prefer a general.

if they are coming in, how long until they are completely in? what did the dentist say about waiting to "just do an extraction" after they have come in?

I was awake when I had mine out back in college 10+ years ago. I was the only one of my friends who didn't have GA. Mine were not impacted and were through the gums. The only annoying part was there was a lot of yanking and it was hard to keep my head stabilized. My neck actually hurt a little the next day. I had very little swelling and went rock climbing the next day, so obviously it wasn't too difficult. I apparently had enormous roots on my wisdom teeth that shocked my dentist. It was not really a painful experience at all though. I had novocaine only, no nitrous or anything else.

My DS1 is almost 8 and had to have an extra (supernumerary) tooth removed via oral surgery. They said they could do it with a local but he's on the anxious side after an early cavity in toddlerhood, so he actually asked to be put out with GA. They got him out with GA and then realized they weren't 100 percent sure which tooth they were taking out (once he was opened up it was tough to determine which was the "extra" tooth) and they wanted to err on the side of caution. So they woke him up, took an xray, and finished the rest with nitrous and a local. He is definitely a kid who is more on the anxious side and he did totally fine. Apparently he was fist bumping the doc and shouted "no school for a week" while pumping his arm in the OR :lol: (fwiw I told him we'd take a day or two off but he was having it done on a Friday...the nitrous had him loopy enough he was convinced he was getting a week off). He was mostly uncomfortable afterward due to his lip being retracted and stretched (had a good bit of swelling). He was almost back to normal within a day or two.

Edited by Momof3littles

Mine also did GA as a rule, but since I was pregnant he made an exception and did local. The tooth had come in completely sideways and was partially impacted. It wasn't any more painful/scary than a regular filling. I drove myself back to work with a mouth full of gauze.

It was also $250 cheaper

I want to add that I only had one tooth removed.

Edited by Hwin

I had twilight, not general. Are you sure it is general and not twilight? I had propofol I think. It is out of the system quickly once they stop it. I was VERY grateful I wasn't awake.

They never mentioned the term "twilight", only "general". I just don't remember being awake as being a big deal. Dd has a high threshold for pain, and a fairly low threshold for needles in her veins. :blink:

I had mine out 4 days before I graduated from High School, they were all impacted and I only had locals.

I know you said you child has a high threshold for pain but a low one for needles in her veins, but how about Needles in her mouth. Locals are pretty painful when they give them and although not during my wisdom teeth extraction, I have had it wear off before they were done.

My dd had 3 removed last year. We had the choice of Valium before the procedure with laughing gas during, another more sedating option (which I can't remember and was to be done in office), and general (which had to be done at the local hospital due to anesthesia.) The doctor pretty much discouraged general unless she was very nervous and just couldn't handle it. She chose the first one and it worked very well for her. She was able to eat breakfast and took the Valium 1/2 hour before the surgery. When they started they gave her laughing gas. They were finished with her surgery in 20 minutes and she was fine.

I had local anaesthesia for one and general for the other three (done all at once and two were impacted). For the local, I either didn't get enough anaesthesia or it hadn't taken effect when the dentist went to pull the tooth out. Needless to say, it hurt dreadfully, and I shrieked so loudly that I'm sure that it was heard in the waiting room. So I got another shot and was told to raise my hand (?!?!) if it hurt. I'm sure I'm a freak case, but I had a much better experience with the general.

Just back from the oral surgeon, and he wants to give my dd, age 17, general anesthesia when he removes her wisdom teeth. There are no difficult aspects to the surgery.... in fact, three of the teeth are already starting to come through the gums.

Besides the fact that the surgeon "just prefers it that way", is there any reason for general anesthesia? I would rather do it with locals (that's how I did it, with no complications), rather than stand the risks associated with general anesthesia.

Comments? Words of Wisdom? Answers?

I am :bigear:

ETA: My dd is asthmatic.

I had general anesthesia. I see no reason to do it any other way, personally. I don't really think its a big deal either way, though.

How is your DD with these kind of things? Is she squeamish? If she goes in with the idea of doing local and she makes it through than your fine, but if she freaks out, than you know what your dealing with from than on.

I had all 4 wisdom teeth, which were fully grown in, done with local. Wide awake I was but I've never had problems with teeth or medical (needle) type situations. They just don't bother me that much and I prefer to see what is happening around me.

My DH on the other hand, you'd have to knock him out to get any where near his mouth... or near him with anything remotely medical looking. He is overly more sensitive to pain in general, which probably contributes to his squeamishness.

My daughter and I both recently got our wisdom teeth out with twilight sedation. I highly recommend it - never knew or felt a thing. My dh got his out with local and it was not pleasant. It is so easy for a bad dental experience to set a child up for a lifelong dental phobia. Ask me how I know. :tongue_smilie:

Honestly, I would NEVER put my kids through extensive dental work with novacaine shots. I don't even do a cleaning without nitrous oxide. :D But I had some bad experiences early on. (probably should have been knocked out instead of given 4 or 5 shots. For one tooth.

My wisdom teeth were taken out by an oral surgeon, and all I know is I went to lala land, woke up, and started taking pain medicine. It was a WONDERFUL thing!

DH will not allow anyone but an anesthesiologist to put our family under so we just get locals for stuff like that. There's no way I'd have GA done in a dentist's office.

An oral surgeon is usually boarded for anesthesia too, or they'll have someone on staff or that comes in, if they're not actually going up to the hospital OR with their anesthetists. DS's dentist uses the hospital OR suite for dentistry, so she has the hospital anesthesiologist/anesthetists; my oral surgeon is also an MD, boarded in surgery and anesthesiology, so they're not all just dentists.

My son, 18, had all four removed under just locals. All 4 were completely impacted. He left the office chatting with the nurses. He's one tough cookie.

This was just about six months ago.

I sat in the room and watched, and I had nightmares for a week afterwards. I don't recommend watching, but I have a thing about dentists. *SIGH*

Two of my dc had general anesthesia when they had their wisdom teeth removed. Mine were removed many years ago, with just a local. I think my dc preferred to be asleep, though.

As an added benefit, we had a very practical example of impaired driving and why the doctors tell people not to drive or make any important decisions for 24 hours after having general anesthesia. After we arrived home from the wisdom teeth removal, my ds insisted he was perfectly fine and had no residual effects of the general. He and my other dc decided to play Wii Mario Cart and another racing video game. My dc are excellent at these race car video games, and you can imagine their surprise when my ds was having a hard time driving straight on the video game track. While three of us were chuckling at his obvious impaired driving ability, he continued to insist that he was not impaired at all and he was playing the game as well as he always did. We saw impaired driving ability, as well as impaired reasoning. Lesson illustrated.

Dd (17) had all four wisdom teeth pulled just last Friday. We chose to do a local (general anesthesia was too expensive). She came through just fine and in fact was glad she had not slept through it. Her recommendation for her siblings is to stay awake.

Hope all goes well :)

Sue

Dh, who has a high tolerance for pain, had it done with local while in the Coast Guard... and said he would NEVER allow his kids to do the same. They both had it done under a general. Mine were also under a general, some 30 years ago.

An oral surgeon is usually boarded for anesthesia too, or they'll have someone on staff or that comes in, if they're not actually going up to the hospital OR with their anesthetists. DS's dentist uses the hospital OR suite for dentistry, so she has the hospital anesthesiologist/anesthetists; my oral surgeon is also an MD, boarded in surgery and anesthesiology, so they're not all just dentists.

They are usually boarded, yes. But they do not routinely do a residency in anesthesia like an anesthesiologist does so if something does goes wrong, they will not have the experience (or the equipment) that a hospital surgical suite has. A lot of states have cracked down on GA in doctor's offices thankfully.

Our son did need GA for dental issues when he was just a couple of years old. We had the option of twilighting him in the office or taking him to the hospital for general. We took him to the hospital for GA.

Most GAs in dentists offices go well. But some don't. And for us, that's not a risk that DH is comfortable with.

Every family has at least one think they are wonky-fussy about. Medical stuff is ours. :001_smile: