Menu

5th grade geometry math woes

I need some input on a math issue with my 5th grader. He's actually quite mathematically inclined and LOVES numbers. His problem lies in geometry, area, etc. We use Math Mammoth and I love it, and he does too... except when we hit the geometry sections. He understands the basic idea of how to do things, but consistently makes small errors in figuring things out measuring, figuring area/perimeter, etc). He's at the end of the geometry unit in book 5B. He has made several errors on the geometry review and I'm not sure whether to stop and review the entire unit to make sure he gets it all OR just chalk it up to some early experience with geometry concepts and not be concerned because "don't worry son, you'll be able to spend an entire year on this thing you hate when you get to high school!"

Do you think it's important in 5th grade to master these concepts or should we just move on and not worry about it right now? He is SO excited to get to integers that he can hardly stand it! :D

Thanks for any input you have!

My dd had trouble gettting exact measurements of angles and lines - there was just enough wiggle room, so to speak, with how the ruler or protractor is sitting on the page for the answers to be off slightly (and then the angles don't quite add up right, etc.). I haven't worried about that.

Area and perimeter are probably two things I'd really want to make sure he had down, both the concept and the computation.

Personally, with all that enthusiasm, I'd let him move on to integers and percents, which go very quickly. Then I'd go back and spend a little time reviewing geometry before doing the end-of-year test, along with any other review you might do.

My dd had trouble gettting exact measurements of angles and lines - there was just enough wiggle room, so to speak, with how the ruler or protractor is sitting on the page for the answers to be off slightly (and then the angles don't quite add up right, etc.). I haven't worried about that.

Area and perimeter are probably two things I'd really want to make sure he had down, both the concept and the computation.

Personally, with all that enthusiasm, I'd let him move on to integers and percents, which go very quickly. Then I'd go back and spend a little time reviewing geometry before doing the end-of-year test, along with any other review you might do.

:iagree:

If it's measurement issues, let it go. Fine motor skills will improve. I find my 11 yo ds, doing some geometry this year, is *much* better able to measure angles and lengths and draw them accurately than the last time we covered these topics.

If it's concepts, then it's worth spending some time getting it down. But it can wait until spring or summer. Just make a mental note to come back and do some review later on.

Thanks Ladies! He is so relieved to be onto integers that I think I'll let him bask in that awhile! We have plenty of time to go back and make sure the concepts are there. I've sat with him and gone through it and he seems to have the concepts down, just forgets things once in a while (like remembering to divide the area of the triangle in 1/2....) I will check out the Keys to Series. I've seen that mentioned around here before. It would give him some more practice. I think that's all he needs. Neither Dad nor I was good at geometry so I think he comes by it naturally! ;)

How about move on for now and have him revisit this unit either at the end of the school year or during summer? You may find the problem he is having not an issue anymore, or he may still have it but somehow does it better the second time around.:001_smile: