Menu

Needing a "how the government works" type spine for my 11th grader...

Need opinions on "The Everything American Government Book" and "The Idiots Guide to American Government".

Any other recommendations? He'll be voting in November and has had LOADS of questions about the election process (not just the pres. election). He's also wanting to understand (has had questions) the roles of all the secretaries and supreme court judges.

Honestly, he's had some GREAT questions that have made me realize how *little* I know! So, mom will be getting a nice refresher course too. I love homeschooling!:)

• 2 weeks later...
Need opinions on "The Everything American Government Book" and "The Idiots Guide to American Government".

Any other recommendations? He'll be voting in November and has had LOADS of questions about the election process (not just the pres. election). He's also wanting to understand (has had questions) the roles of all the secretaries and supreme court judges.

Honestly, he's had some GREAT questions that have made me realize how *little* I know! So, mom will be getting a nice refresher course too. I love homeschooling!:)

I think it's hard to beat regular reading of a hard core political newspaper or journal. I'm partial to Wall Street Journal and The Economist. What I like about WSJ is that it often goes into the gritty details of policy debates.

My son used the book "The Idiot's Guide to Government" this past fall as part of a government credit with two Great Courses, one on Tocqueville, and the other on the Federalist Papers.

He gives the book 3.5 out of 5 stars, and he says that while it gives a lot of good information, there isn't much of the history behind things (which is why I added the 2 courses). There is also a citizenship test in the back, so he thinks it was meant to educate someone who was trying to become a citizen. I think the book provided a good overview of how the government works.

HTH,

Brenda