Menu

Is it too soon? What are you planning for your rising 9th grader?

I know many of us are planning and ordering already. Do you have a firm idea or what you'll be using? Subjects? Curricula? Are you still on the fence? Waiting until the reality of high school sinks in? Avoiding all planning until the laundry is caught up? :lol:

I'd love to see where everyone is in their planning.

Here's our agenda. I have to wait on a few subjects, pending his ability at the end of this school year.

I'm dividing the year into 3 12 week sessions, fall, winter, and spring.

Latin- Wheelock's

Japanese - Irasshai (both are continuation of this year)

Math - Geometry (text undecided)

English - Writing (fall), Literary analysis (winter) - materials undecided

Science - Integrated spread over 3 years, Physics- College Physics Knight, Jones, Field (fall), chemistry - CK12 text (winter), biology - The Way life works will be main text for this year (spring)

History - Ancient Greek/Egyptian: History (fall) Spielvogel Western Civ, Herodotus, TTC courses on Greeks, Pharaohs, & Early Civilizations, Literature (winter) - Iliad & Odyssey (Lattimore) with Vandiver lectures, Greek Tragedies and a comedy (undecided), Philosophy (spring) - Aristotle (undecided) and Plato's Republic.

Intro to Philosophy - The Theory of Knowledge, The Story of Philosophy (fall & winter sessions)

I would love to plan for my child's 9th grade year and usually planning for next year during this time of year helps me get through the winter slump. But I'm too busy getting my senior through his work and college plans.

I do know that we will do Biology with Apologia and I want to add in some books to read.

History will be half of History of the American People and the world portion is undecided. This child loves history so I want to do it up right!

Geometry - probably Jacobs supplemented with the other 3 books I have around.

Latin 2 - Henle 2 and Lingua Latina (he just started in Henle 2 and LL. I thought he would need 1.5 yr to do both.

Lit-I'll look at what I did with the olders and then add. This child is going to be fun. He reads well, comprehends well, is highly interested in learning.

I am pretty well planned for my ds. He is a math and science kid and would like to be a computer programmer. Here is our tentative schedule:

TT Geometry

Apologia Physical Science (as an elective)

Apologia Biology (at our homeschool group)

World History I (still need to decide on a curriculum)

Essay Writing (Epi Kardia) and IEW Speech Bootcamp (at our homeschool group)

Abeka Grammar and Vocabulary

Latin I using the Henle materials from Memoria Press

Computer Programming I

Gym at our homeschool group

Intro to Literature planned by mom

Looks like about 7.5 credits which I think he can easily handle. I still need to decide on a few curriculum choices but we are feeling more and more comfortable with this mix of classes.

Edited by Chris in PA

We have three different plans at this time. :)

Plan 1 - standard

Plan 2 - dd is accepted into CC for both AA and AS

Plan 3 - dh is in fact transferred this spring and we are in a different county

(I love where we live, but have my fingers crossed for plan 3.)

Plan 1

Fall Term / Spring Term

Composition I / Microcomputer Skills (Com Col)

Geometry (Escondido Tutorials)

Greek I (Escondido Tutorials)

Great Books II (Escondido Tutorials)

AP U.S. History (FLVS)

U.S. Government / Law Studies (FLVS)

Latin II (FLVS if offered, otherwise Lukeion)

H Biology / H Chemistry (FLVS)

American Literature (with me, TC CDs and other resources)

Ancient History - Rome (half credit with me, TC DVDs and other resources)

Plan 2

Fall Term / Spring Term / Summer Term

Composition I / Technical Drawing (Com Col)

Microcomputer Skills / Managing Information Technology / Web Design ( Com Col)

Properties of Materials / Building Materials / CAD I (Com Col)

AP U.S. History (FLVS)

Latin II (FLVS if offered, otherwise Lukeion)

Algebra II (Saxon and LOF)

Plan 3

Fall Term / Spring Term

Composition I / Computer class (college)

Latin I / Latin II (college)

Greek I (Lukeion)

AP U.S. History (FLVS)

Algebra II (Saxon and Life of Fred)

I'm attempting a plan....

I'm considering Duke TIP Geometry using the Jurgensen, Richard G. Brown, and John W. Jurgensen text, or possibly Jacobs with the Dr. Callahan DVD's

We're doing Chemistry .... still not sure. (ETA - looks like we'll be going with Spectrum)

Latin.... I'm thinking Latin Alive, but still pondering.

We'll be using Trisms Expansion of Civilization - that covers a lot of ground...

Additionally, we'l be using a writing program, but again - still pondering.

I have asked him to come up with an elective - but I think I'll need to give him some options to chose from.

Ug. I knew this was going to get tough, but just making the decisions is so hard!!!

Edited by SailorMom

I only know these 4 for sure:

History: TOG Year 3, beginning at D level. May move slowly to R level as the year progresses

English: Write Shop II, AG Season 2, TOG Literature (about 16 weeks worth, mixing D and R levels, to make up half of his English credit. Write Shop and AG will make up the other half.)

Math: Algebra 1 taught at our co-op

Latin: Latin III taught at our co-op

These are yet undetermined:

Science: Leaning toward Apologia Physical Science but I'm not 100% sure on this. He's interested in Jay Ryan's Classical Astronomy. We may try to do both.

Computer Skills: I'm going to have him go through tutorials or some type of course to become more proficient at Word, Excel, and Power Point. I dont' know what this will look like yet. We would do this for 1 semester.

Health: He may take a health class at co-op.

Logic: Maybe, maybe not.....

I have to investigate the classical astronomy some more. I don't know how much work is involved and whether it leans more toward .5 credit rather than a full credit. I could be hung up too much on credits...I don't know. It's all new to me!

Edited by luvnlattes
typo...physical science, not physics....yikes!

Math

Lials BCM

Science

Geology (TTC and various other materials)

Biology (Abeka)

History

United States/govt (Kolbe modern Era with his older brothers)

English

LLfromLotR

Religion

Kolbe 9th grade plans

Foreign language

German at TPS (his choice as they are close in cost)

Civil Air Patrol

Edited by Martha
He made his choices. :)

I haven't nailed down anything for my rising 9th grader yet. We're still looking at all our options.

I know that her course of study will probably look like this. It's based on the same thing my oldest did.

Geometry (currently doing Jacob's Algebra... probably Chalkdust, since we already own it)

Biology (currently doing physical science... probably Miller/Levine since we already own it)

World History (maybe... this is what my older dd did)

English (currently using K12's Literary Analysis and Composition)

Italian 2 (currently using Kolbe's Italian 1 syllabus, and in her 2nd semester of a local Italian class)

Theology 1 (probably Didache's Understanding the Scriptures)

I still need to figure out what to use for English and history. Unlike my oldest, this dd needs a lot of accountability to stay on track, so we're still tossing around the idea of enrolling her in a charter school.

I know many of us are planning and ordering already. Do you have a firm idea or what you'll be using? Subjects? Curricula? Are you still on the fence? Waiting until the reality of high school sinks in? Avoiding all planning until the laundry is caught up? :lol:

I'd love to see where everyone is in their planning.

Here's our agenda. I have to wait on a few subjects, pending his ability at the end of this school year.

I'm dividing the year into 3 12 week sessions, fall, winter, and spring.

Latin- Wheelock's

Japanese - Irasshai (both are continuation of this year)

Math - Geometry (text undecided)

English - Writing (fall), Literary analysis (winter) - materials undecided

Science - Integrated spread over 3 years, Physics- College Physics Knight, Jones, Field (fall), chemistry - CK12 text (winter), biology - The Way life works will be main text for this year (spring)

History - Ancient Greek/Egyptian: History (fall) Spielvogel Western Civ, Herodotus, TTC courses on Greeks, Pharaohs, & Early Civilizations, Literature (winter) - Iliad & Odyssey (Lattimore) with Vandiver lectures, Greek Tragedies and a comedy (undecided), Philosophy (spring) - Aristotle (undecided) and Plato's Republic.

Intro to Philosophy - The Theory of Knowledge, The Story of Philosophy (fall & winter sessions)

Math: Probably AoPS Geometry

Science: Environmental Science as prep for AP exam

Literature: Adventures in Reading/Adventures in Appreciation and essay writing. (I'm hoping to check out Windows to the World and some other programs at conference. If not, then I'll strike out on my own.)

German: OSU German 2

Latin: Hoping to continue this since we've FINALLY found our footing. Ecce Romani 2 or Henle

History: Modern World History using the pacing of TOG, but heavily modifying and adding.

Scouts: Please, please, please be done with Eagle Scout

Swimming: Coach has suggested moving up to 5 practices/week, including 2 weekday early morning workouts. (I get tired just considering it.)

Right now the plan looks like this:

Math: Math-U-See Algebra

English: Oak Meadow

History: Oak Meadow US History

Government: Finish the Civics course we started this year.

Science: Oak Meadow Biology

Spanish: OSU

Philosophy

Swim Team

Just realized I left out Music Appreciation.

and somewhere in there he will continue his volunteer work at the library and add in volunteering at a local animal shelter.

Edited by kewb

I've gotten mine mostly figured out:

History

TOG Year 1 Rhetoric (for my dd) and Dialectic (for my ds)

Math

Geometry with Derek Owens - dd

Foerster's Algebra - ds

Language

Latin 2 through Lukeion - dd

Latin Prep 2 & Ecce Romani - ds OR, I may have him take Latin 1 with Lukeion

French - Breaking the French Barrier 2 for my dd

Science

Here's where I'm not sure. My dd wants to study chemistry in 9th grade, so I was thinking of Conceptual Chemistry for both kids. But I like the look of Spectrum Chemistry, too. My dd could do that, but my ds would not be math-ready. Hmmmmm.

English

Windows to the World and Excellence in Literature, along with TOG's lit.

Geography

Thinking about either BJU Geography or Harmony Art Mom's geography.

Since my dd has French as an elective, my son is thinking about taking a woodworking class at the local high school.

So.....mostly there, but not quite!

Golly, I'm all starry-eyed to know I could post about this now! :D I feel like I'm in the big league of homeschooling now, lol! :D

To answer your questions - it's not too soon; yes, I am planning (witness my R&S thread).

Math: Dolciani Geometry, when he's done the algebra course (which, at this point, could spill over into next year - we'll see how the rest of the year goes)

Grammar: R&S 9 (and maybe 10 - again, see my thread about why)

Writing: on the fence - WWS if next level comes out? Although, he knows how to outline very well, so I could start the WTM rhetoric stage writing plans...I just don't know yet...I really like the nitty gritty of WWS. But maybe he doesn't need it if he does the WTM-rhetoric plan....don't know....have to think about it some more. I'm so afraid he's going to miss something if he doesn't do WWS, though. But anyway, he will use his skills across the curriculum, too.

Latin: Henle's Second Year Latin, if we keep going with Latin

Logic: try to finish TL II, which we ditched partway through this year - it got to be too tough in between the algebra and Latin

History/Literature: HOAW for a spine, MapTrek for historical geography, WTM ancient lit. lists, I hope to start teaching him how to use WEM techniques. I'm not sure how I will flesh this all out, but these are the resources I like.

Science: something for astronomy. I know a lot of people on the forums like the physics/chemistry/biology/specialty sequence for high school, but in my area, high school starts in Grade 10 (and universities accommodate that in their requirements). So, I'm leaving the physics/chemistry/biology sequence for grades 10-12, and putting his love for astronomy in Grade 9. I also figure that will give him another year of math under his belt, so he can be more comfortable with science courses. I'm so very unsure about high school science, still, though....and my Grade 9 plan could change to physics and the specialty at the end, with me counting the Grade 9 science on his transcript.

Electives: probably programming, if he wants to continue. And whatever else he wants to do with his free time.

Edited by Colleen in NS

I think we're going to do the following:

Math-Lials intro algebra with LOF Algebra I

English-WWS I/II when we finish and it comes out, along with Ancient lit to go with history, using Sparknotes

History-History of the Ancient World, WTM style

Science-Miller/Levine biology, need to figure out what we're doing for labs though

Foreign Lang-Second Form Latin and finish SYRWTLS along with Visual Link Spanish I

Health/business communications (word, excel, etc)-both recommended by Texas for ps so we'll do them as well. I think we'll use lifepacs for these as I'm really just wanting to get them done.

Dd also does piano and next year we're going to try to hire one of the university teachers bc she's outgrown her current one. She also wants to learn guitar.

During the summer we'll hit PE hard and get it out of the way, probably some running, classes, and maybe a session with a personal trainer.

This is what I'm planning for (at the moment) for 9th. Math is sort of to-be-determined based on how dd finishes in Alg. I.

Math: Geometry with Jann in Tx.

Science: Conceptual Physics and lab (not chosen yet... Labpaq???)

History: MFW AHL

LA: MFW AHL

Bible: MFW AHL

Spanish: Alpha-Omega outsourced with homeschool covering school

Not sure for the moment:

Logic/Rhetoric: Rulebook for Argument with the workbook... undecided

Car Shop: Just thinking if this could be an elective with dh since dd will start driving next year.

This is my first time planning high school. Please tell me if you see any holes. Suggestions WELCOMED!:001_smile:

Mine is kind of weird cuz we have just made the decision to call this year 8th instead of 9th like we thought. He started early in K, but we are going to pull back now and slow down - not for any real reason and definitely not academic...just a feeling that it is what we are supposed to do...for maturity, college testing advantage (possibly?) and waiting on sending off too young. Been a tough decision. We will count a lot of this years credits on his transcript - he will graduate with a lot of credits, but that's ok - it all fulfills what we want for high school also for life!!

Math - Starting TT Geometry soon - so mostly that with some Alg 2 after.

Bible/History/English - MFW WHL - did AHL this year with NO problem. (Probably just considering this excellent Bible for 8th grade.)

Spanish - Visual Link 2

Science - Biology - Science Shepherd, I think. Did Chem at co-op this year.

Electives - probably light cuz he did CPU Programming this year with a Video Production class, plus music....probably Health and some more computers - with Khan or other free online college type stuff I have seen. Continue Speech and Debate class also and SAT prep!!

We are excited to give him time to continue pursuing interests too - he's taught his first couple of guitar lessons and wants to do more video stuff and computer troubleshooting!! :) Fun!!

Well, this is what I *think* we're doing. Subject to change, of course. LOL

My Father's World AHL for History, Lit, Bible

Physical Science (Apologia or something else)

TT Algebra 1

Visual Latin w/ Lingua Latina

Fallacy Detective and The Thinking Toolbox

Band (flute)

And whatever our coop is offering that looks good.

Edited by Sheila in OK
typo's

We have been talking about this at home a lot.

LA: 2nd semester of Lightning Lit 8, windows to worlds

(possibly), 3rd section of AG, probably lectures on The Odyssey.

Math: geometry, text undecided. His older brother is doing AoPS geometry for 9th, but not sure it is a good fit for this child. He is currently using Lial's algebra.

SS: Undecidid. Eek! Help!

Science: Honors Biology at the ps

Intro to Engineering at ps--this is a CAD based class. DS is very interested in learning this.

Might start Spanish at the public school or with Mango--undecided at this point.

Continue with Latin Alive! Book 1-- he won't finish by the end of the year. Would be nice if he made it through book 2 by the end of 9 th grade.

ETA we have logic I which I have been debating adding in. The program is not at all what I was expecting, so I am on the fence about it.

Continue with gymnastics, general 4H and robotics club. He is trying to volunteer at library also.

Edited by Trilliums

Math: TT Algebra 1

English: Undecided (CLE, R&S, Analytical Grammar, ACE) ???

Literature: Notgrass lit. selections with select Progeny Press guides

Vocab: Word Roots

Writing: Wordsmith, (Possibly IEW)

Science: Exploration Education Physical Science (advanced)

History: Notgrass World History (Also includes literature and Bible)

Electives: Home Economics, Violin / Orchestra, Music Theory (ACE), Health/PE, and possibly a foreign language (need to choose one)

Ack. I'm working on it...

PreCalc/Trig - Derek Owens

Chemistry - Thinkwell AP Chem

Latin - Latin 3/4 with a local teacher (not sure what she'll have them reading -- this year they're doing Caesar's Gallic Wars)

Art History - Stokstad and other resources

Ancient History - uh... Western Civ (Spielvogel) and... other ... stuff. ;) No, I don't have a finished list yet.

Literature - um. again. WTM ancients... and... other ... stuff. Possibly preparing for the AP Eng Lang exam. Maybe. Um. Yeah. Talk to me in May. ;)

The Bible and Its Influence

Uh... French? Maybe.

I know I am forgetting something obvious... but it's late, so I have an excuse to be absent-minded. :001_smile:

Math: Saxon Algebra II with Art Reed

English: Rod & Staff for grammar - looking at possibly using LLfLOTR

Literature: She's part of a book club and they'll be reading Beowulf, Le Morte d'Arthur, Canterbury Tales, Shakespeare, and several other books next year. We'll use another lit. curriculum as well, but we haven't yet decided which.

Science: Biology - possibly Miller/Levine - possibly one of the Campbells. waiting to get a look at them to browse through and decide

History: MOH2 combined with The History of the Medieval World by SWB

+ Art History (1 smstr)/Music Theory (1 smster)

World Geography: --- not sure yet ---

Fallacy Detective (1 smstr)

Electives: band, French, PE, Girl Scouts

Edited by orangearrow

Plans are in place although I'm not 100% sure he's going to stay home with me:

Latin- probably Cambridge in an outside class.

Spanish - BJU Spanish I and once weekly outside class with a native speaker.

Math - Geometry (text undecided).

English - finish up Vocab for the College Bound; Easy Grammar Ultimate; looking for an outside writing class.

Science - biology, primarily using The Way life Works - I just found out from Jones, Bartlett that this book was republished last year, but they did not do any updates on it.

History/Literature - great books study using SWB's History of the Ancient World; Spielvogal World history; and the recs from SWB's Well Educated Mind (I have a plan up at my blog).

Health/PE - outside CPR/first aid coursework and work at home using The Way We Work and many other things....

World Geography - using a variety of books (plan at my blog).

Art and Music Appreciation using a variety of sources....

I just got a lump in my throat realizing that this is only 5 1/2 months away.

As of right now this is the lineup for dd14:

Math : Chalkdust Algebra I with DVDs. We were going to do Geometry but after she finished MUS pre-algebra I decided to have her finish out this year with Chalkdust pre-algebra because she was still shaky on some things and what she went over with MUS wasn't transferring outside of the lessons.

Spanish : We are going to try Visual Link Spanish

Geography : Cultural and Physical World Geography using Runkle's and Glencoe's World Geography and Cultures

Science : Apologia Biology at homeschool tutorial **Having to come back and edit this to Miller-Levine Biology**

English : Windows to the World and Excellence in Literature

Elective : Traditional Logic I

She'll also do .5 credit of Fine Arts through guitar lessons and a study of how music is composed and edited into video games.

She will also earn .5 credit of PE through riding lessons.

The only one I'm not confident in is the Traditional Logic. She wants something with more philosophy but I'm not sure of what I could use...have to research that.

Edited by 5LittleMonkeys

My plans are tentative, no where near concrete yet:

Possibly finishing Lial's Intro to Algebra, moving into TT or Jacob's Geometry

Apologia or Shepherd Biology

MFW AHL for literature, history and Bible

Foreign language, this is undecided yet

Music, gym and 3rd elective at co-op

Analytical Grammar (we're working on that now, and then will move into the high school materials for retention)

Metalworking, CAD/CAM, welding, wiring and drafting with his father and grandfather

4H

Our preliminary plan is as follows:

Math: Saxon Alg 2, if we can finish up Alg 1 this summer

English: R&S grammar lessons only, the IEW Window to the World/Teaching the Classics combo mentioned in another thread, possibly with the live on-line lit chat with the Andrews. Another possibility is to take Honors or AP at the local hs. Vocab is undecided.

Logic/Rhetoric: undecided

Science: Apologia Academy Biology

History: dunno yet, this is her favorite subject so I want to get do it up right for her. I don't have an at home option yet, and possibly an Honors or AP at the local hs. Hoping this for geography too.

Spanish: likely at local hs. She is not following through on her additional activities on Rosetta Stone for full credit, so she's outta here for that.

Other Electives: undecided

Probably more 4H.

This whole process stresses me out to no end. I would like this child to have more outside accountability, but the local public hs is not great and the only co-op option is CC and I can't afford it. I would only allow her to do it if it meant she could be in an honors or AP class, and maybe a few electives. I have requested information from the hs several times, and get nothing. It's not a very homeschool friendly district and the counselors and registrars don't seem to know how to get us into certain classes without being full time students this year, even after I offer to have my dd tested. Really?! I know of several part-time homeschool students and their families have all put up with this. I will be taking my concerns to the superintendant, his kids are part-time public/part-time homeschooled so he should be able to get us squared away. It shouldn't have to be this difficult. :confused:

I'm losing my co-op! :kicks, pouts:

So I have to learn to plan for myself again.

I think ...

Great Books, Ancients, ala WTM

Math - Life of Fred Geometry +?? He does his own math. He's already done LoF beginning and advanced algebra, and he uses Khan Academy for extra help.

Science - still up in the air. Physics with his older brother? Or biology? And how?

Latin - Lingua Latina

Greek - he's in Athenaze this year. I can't teach it, but he might arrange distance lessons OR Italian

Writing - ??

He's teaching himself assembly language and iPhone programming. He'll also do Boy Scouts, and hopefully continue with robotics, violin and soccer. We're moving, so we'll have to see what we can find in the new place. If we can swing it, he wants to trade soccer for fencing.

What are you using for your music study, the video game music?

This idea was spurred by her teaching herself how to play the theme music from Halo, Assassin's Creed and the Elder Scrolls games on her piano and she has played around with making up her own arrangements based on the cinematic\cut scenes and game play. She loves the music and considers it to be right up there with some classical pieces in caliber. She wants to find out what goes into the whole process of original soundtracks for video games and the history\evolution of including music in games that has occurred since the first Pong game. She finds it fascinating that music for video games isn't just pecked out on a keyboard or randomly picked from existing pieces and thrown together by some guy put in charge of sound anymore; that it has evolved to the level of orchestras and original compositions created to help set the tone and mood of the game, just as is done for many major motion pictures. I'm not handing her a pre-designed curricula, and the study won't be exhaustive by any means. In fact part of her "grade" will be the discovery aspect. She is also going to create a complete original soundtrack for Skyrim (her most recent game purchase). I have a minimum number of hours in mind that I'd like to see spent between composing and research, but she is free to take it as far as she can or has the inclination to. This will be her project, facilitated by me.

This idea was spurred by her teaching herself how to play the theme music from Halo, Assassin's Creed and the Elder Scrolls games on her piano and she has played around with making up her own arrangements based on the cinematic\cut scenes and game play. She loves the music and considers it to be right up there with some classical pieces in caliber. She wants to find out what goes into the whole process of original soundtracks for video games and the history\evolution of including music in games that has occurred since the first Pong game. She finds it fascinating that music for video games isn't just pecked out on a keyboard or randomly picked from existing pieces and thrown together by some guy put in charge of sound anymore; that it has evolved to the level of orchestras and original compositions created to help set the tone and mood of the game, just as is done for many major motion pictures. I'm not handing her a pre-designed curricula, and the study won't be exhaustive by any means. In fact part of her "grade" will be the discovery aspect. She is also going to create a complete original soundtrack for Skyrim (her most recent game purchase). I have a minimum number of hours in mind that I'd like to see spent between composing and research, but she is free to take it as far as she can or has the inclination to. This will be her project, facilitated by me.

What a wonderful class! My ds loves the soundtracks and right now he's into Skyrim and Star Trek online. Unfortunately he doesn't play an instrument. I hope she has fun with that, it sounds like a blast.

Ds currently 13, will have the following courses:

Geometry - Harold Jacob's books

Latin - Henle 1 & 2

Introductory Logic

Chemistry - Apologia plus additional reading

MIT Opencourseware - Introduction to Astronomy

History - Ancient World by SWB

Great Books study - Old and New Testaments, Epic of Gilgamesh, Illiad and Odyssey, assorted articles from Archaeology Magazine, selected passages from The Histories, Plutarch, etc.

English - Rod and Staff 9 (This boy still kills me on punctuation and capitalization so I'm still in drill mode with him. I have grim hopes he'll vastly improve by graduation.) Plus Art of the Elegant Essay and some assignments from my very old College Writing book...I consider it a classic because it was very well-written with practical assignments and concise.

Beginning Icelandic

Extracurriculars - Farm work at an area sheep/llama farm, and volunteer work at an exotic pet store plus competitive rocketry team, 4-H science fair, and Lego competitive robotics.

Faith

Will he be doing both of these in one year? Will you share how you will flesh these out? My son will be finishing Henle 1 by June, and will likely start Henle 2. But I'm not sure if it's doable in one year; or if it is, how. Thanks.

Hi Colleen, it will flesh out because he's already started Henle 1 and will probably have it finished in September. He's only 13, but for some of his subjects, he was ready to begin his high school work this semester. So, he will actually be finishing his first year of high school Latin plus his second year in his "freshman" year. I'm not exactly certain what I will do with the transcript. For those uni's that will take one listed by subject but not completion date, then it won't be an issue. For the uni's that want it by year, I may have to show one of the credits in the sophomore year because two in the freshman would look odd.

Sorry for the confusion.

Faith

Hi Colleen, it will flesh out because he's already started Henle 1 and will probably have it finished in September. He's only 13, but for some of his subjects, he was ready to begin his high school work this semester. So, he will actually be finishing his first year of high school Latin plus his second year in his "freshman" year. I'm not exactly certain what I will do with the transcript. For those uni's that will take one listed by subject but not completion date, then it won't be an issue. For the uni's that want it by year, I may have to show one of the credits in the sophomore year because two in the freshman would look odd.

Sorry for the confusion.

Faith

Oh, there was no confusion, I did figure he must already be working on Henle I (and I wasn't even thinking about credits). I guess I was mostly wondering if your plan was to have him also finish Henle II by the end of Grade 9. It looks like that's the plan. Do you mind fleshing out that part? I guess what I am really wondering, is how can Henle II be done in one year, by an upcoming 14yo (my son)? He has taken three years to do Henle II. Is it possible for a 14yo to do Henle II in one year (without spending a couple of hours a day), esp. if they've done all of Henle I?

Ds currently 13, will have the following courses:

MIT Opencourseware - Introduction to Astronomy

Faith

Faith, just a heads-up for you: If this is MIT's Physics 8.282J (also called Earth & Planetary Sciences 12.402J) Intro to Astronomy course, then you need to know that both differential & integral calculus and classical mechanics are prerequisites. I don't think that there are any other introductory astronomy courses on open course ware, but I could be wrong. The text alone can be used w/o calculus, but you'd need trig/alg2 at a minimum.

Oh, there was no confusion, I did figure he must already be working on Henle I (and I wasn't even thinking about credits). I guess I was mostly wondering if your plan was to have him also finish Henle II by the end of Grade 9. It looks like that's the plan. Do you mind fleshing out that part? I guess what I am really wondering, is how can Henle II be done in one year, by an upcoming 14yo (my son)? He has taken three years to do Henle II. Is it possible for a 14yo to do Henle II in one year (without spending a couple of hours a day), esp. if they've done all of Henle I?

Hi Colleen,

Not Faith here :), but I wanted to reply because my daughter was in the same position at 14 yo. She'd worked through Henle I over three years, from mid-5th grade to mid-8th grade. So we were in the same place as your son at that point.

She was able to easily complete Henle II in the next year. In fact, I think in retrospect that it helped that she'd worked so thoroughly through Henle 1 over the years and didn't rush it. She really absorbed her Latin grammar and it made the following years easier.

Here's what we did: Henle II has a sort of weird lay out. You need to jump right to Part IV where Lessons 1 to 32 are laid out. Basically she completed one lesson per week, with a little variation because she followed Laura Berquist's guide. The Berquist guide is very nice, btw, & includes daily breakdowns listing which chants, exercises, vocab, & grammar to cover along with weekly quizzes and occasional tests.

When you reach Lesson 18, the lessons begin to include the Caesar readings from Part 2 of the text (All of Gaul is divided into three parts...). It's good to read the very brief Part 1 at this point with its background material (in English) about Caesar and Rome's imperialism wrt Gaul.

From that point on, translations become a regular part of the coursework. It's probably worth a mention that the Caesar in Henle is adapted (so not too hard). I recognized that (& found it mentioned in a footnote in Henle) because it was not the same Caesar that I worked through earlier with my son from Artes Latinae. It's still a great introduction, though.

You'll end up covering most of the Caesar readings in Part 2 of the text by following the Lessons in Part 4. We never did anything with Part 3, which I think is OK. It's there if you need extra, but we didn't.

I think that my dd spent about an hour a day on Latin that year.

You won't want to spend more than a year on Henle 2 in any case. You'll be good and sick of Caesar and the Gauls long before then! My daughter finished up with ten weeks left in grade nine since she'd had a head start on the book in the previous year. We filled in her remaining Latin time with a Legamus reader from Bolchazy-Carducci. I really recommend them as a next transitional step from the grammar & Caesar years to Latin literature.

Hope that helps!:)

Hi Colleen,

Not Faith here :), but I wanted to reply because my daughter was in the same position at 14 yo. She'd worked through Henle I over three years, from mid-5th grade to mid-8th grade. So we were in the same place as your son at that point.

She was able to easily complete Henle II in the next year. In fact, I think in retrospect that it helped that she'd worked so thoroughly through Henle 1 over the years and didn't rush it. She really absorbed her Latin grammar and it made the following years easier.

Here's what we did: Henle II has a sort of weird lay out. You need to jump right to Part IV where Lessons 1 to 32 are laid out. Basically she completed one lesson per week, with a little variation because she followed Laura Berquist's guide. The Berquist guide is very nice, btw, & includes daily breakdowns listing which chants, exercises, vocab, & grammar to cover along with weekly quizzes and occasional tests.

When you reach Lesson 18, the lessons begin to include the Caesar readings from Part 2 of the text (All of Gaul is divided into three parts...). It's good to read the very brief Part 1 at this point with its background material (in English) about Caesar and Rome's imperialism wrt Gaul.

From that point on, translations become a regular part of the coursework. It's probably worth a mention that the Caesar in Henle is adapted (so not too hard). I recognized that (& found it mentioned in a footnote in Henle) because it was not the same Caesar that I worked through earlier with my son from Artes Latinae. It's still a great introduction, though.

You'll end up covering most of the Caesar readings in Part 2 of the text by following the Lessons in Part 4. We never did anything with Part 3, which I think is OK. It's there if you need extra, but we didn't.

I think that my dd spent about an hour a day on Latin that year.

You won't want to spend more than a year on Henle 2 in any case. You'll be good and sick of Caesar and the Gauls long before then! My daughter finished up with ten weeks left in grade nine since she'd had a head start on the book in the previous year. We filled in her remaining Latin time with a Legamus reader from Bolchazy-Carducci. I really recommend them as a next transitional step from the grammar & Caesar years to Latin literature.

Hope that helps!:)

Kathy, oh my goodness, this is GREAT!! Thank you so much for spelling that all out for me! I have briefly looked at the Henle II book, and saw that it was laid out differently, but I hadn't looked into the fine details yet of how to use it. But it's good to know that it might not take more than a year, too! Thank you so much! I will definitely be referring back to your post in a few months.

This is what we've been doing this year for my 9th Grader

Math: Chalk Dust Geometry

Science: Started w/ Shepherd Science Biology changed to Apologia Biology

History/Literature/Bible: SL Core 100 American History

Health: Abeka

Personal Finance: Foundation in Personal Finance by Dave Ramsey

Writing: IEW SWI C

Electives: Speech & Debate, Tennis

Here's what ds14 has been doing:

@ home:

• Math: TT Algebra 1

• English: 1) Prentiss Hall Writing and Grammar 2) Designing & editing a monthly e-newsletter for our music school

• Latin for Children, primer B (yes, it's for little kids but it's better than nothing)

• Home Economics: freeworldu.org (done! he started the course in the latter part of 8th grade)

@ co-op:

• Science: Apologia Biology

• Spanish: Abeka

• US Gov't: Abeka

• PE/Health: Total Health by Susan Boe

@ music school:

• Orchestra: flute
  • Music theory
  • Choir
    • Drama club
    • Jazz club

He was doing a Literature class, but has decided not to continue with it for this term.

He volunteered at the library over the summer and has picked up a few more volunteer hours helping out in classes at the co-op and participating in a Pearl Harbor Remembrance ceremony.

Math - He's beginning Life of Fred algebra next week. If it continues to work, he'll continue with it next year; otherwise, we'll switch to Lial's.

Science - Classical Astronomy

Bible/English/History - My Father's World Ancient History

Logic - will continue with Bluedorn's

Health - Total Health

And that's what I've got so far. He'll need to pick up a language, but I haven't thought about it yet.

We probably won't be starting on 9th grade officially until next January or so, but here are some things I am considering for 9th grade:

Math: Algebra 1 with either Chalkdust or Derek Owens

Science: Either Physical Science or Biology with Kolbe

History: We will be doing the four year cycle of history starting with Ancients, so not sure yet we will use, maybe TRISMS or TOG

Latin: Latin Alive 1

Writing: Possibly IEW, need to research this more.

Literature: Junior High Literature guides (I heard these are actually quite advanced) from Kolbe and/or Literary Lessons From Lord of the Rings

Art: Possibly an art elective from Oak Meadow

English/Literature-

IEW-SWI

Spelling Power

Lightning Lit Early to mid American

Lightning Lit Mid to late American

Analytical Grammar

Math- Math U See Algebra 1

Life of Fred

History- American History winter promise mix of high school and All American 2

Science- Apologia Physical Science

Art- Artistic Pursuits

Music- Composer studies

P.E. - Skateboarding(with coach), surfing, paddleboarding, swimming, cycling, kayaking (possibly learning to sail too)

Foreign Language.. umm not sure yet still deciding on one

He will also have a typing class possibly too.

on the side he will also be finishing up LLLOTR with his dad.

Lord help me.. its an ambitous schedule in my eyes lol..

This is what we've been doing this year for my 9th Grader

Math: Chalk Dust Geometry

Science: Started w/ Shepherd Science Biology changed to Apologia Biology

History/Literature/Bible: SL Core 100 American History

Health: Abeka

Personal Finance: Foundation in Personal Finance by Dave Ramsey

Writing: IEW SWI C

Electives: Speech & Debate, Tennis

Christine,

Just curious.... why did you switch from Science Shepherd to Apologia?

Still unsure, but this is what I'm thinking......

Math: Lial's Introductory Algebra

Science: Apologia Physical Science

English: Literary Lessons from Lord of the Rings

Easy Grammar Plus

essays from history topics

History: something for British or European history with added biographies

Art: European Art (maybe a course from The Great Classics)

Music: guitar

Foreign Language: Rosetta Stone German

Bible- MFW AHL

Math- Algebra 1 (TT and BJU), the Humongous Book of Algebra problems and Money Matters for teens.

English- R&S for grammar, WTM writing- remedial maybe WWS?? I may start that this year and see where we get.

Literature- MFW. I am getting AHL in this week then I will decide if I want to add in more lit or not.

History- MFW AHL plus a bunch of supplemental reading and research

Science- DIVE ICP w/ BJU Textbook & supplemental reading (using their online textbook as well probably)

Electives- Something for Spanish and I think we will add something to Money Matters to make this like a personal finance thing for an elective. (any advice on this? ;))

Music- Bell Choir, Band and Choir

I am still thinking through this. But, here is what we have now.

English 3 with Potters

Spanish I

Algebra II with Foerster's

U.S. History

US Government

Conceptual Physics or Apologia Physics

Extracurriculars : Speech, Debate, Science Olympiad, Teakewondo