Menu

Books about strong women...

I read this novel probably about 25 years ago. I don't remember the whole story, but it was about a woman who became a doctor- overcoming the objections of everyone around her, including a domineering husband. It's a fictional account, but I just remember thinking how strong those real first women doctors must have been.

The series, The Song of Ice and Fire. The first book is, The Game of Thrones

The books are very engaging, and there are some very strong women, men as well, but there are a lot of strong female characters.

My favorite biography about a strong woman is by Elizabeth Elliot about Amy Carmichael. She was a missionary to India in the 1900's. She went alone, as a single woman in a time when women did not do that. She never married and created a haven for young girls who otherwise would have ended up as temple prostitutes.

As I type this out I have to smile. These are two very different suggestions. :001_smile:

A very wide variety of genres...

Passionate Nomad: The Life of Freya Stark by Jane Fletcher Geniesse

Boneshaker by Cherie Priest

Broken Glass Park by Alina Bronsky

The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett

Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls

Madame Tussaud by Michelle Moran

Gal: A True Life by Ruthie Bolton

Daughter of Fortune by Isabel Allende

"The Hiding Place" is a biographical account of Corrie ten Boom. She was part of the dutch resistance in WWII shepharding jews out of the country.

Definitely a great one.

I also enjoyed the biography of Eleanor of Aquitane by Alison Weir, and another book I read a long time ago, but now may pick it up again is called "Desert Queen: The Extraordinary life of Gertrude Bell: Adventurer, Adviser to Kings, Ally of Lawrence of Arabia" by Janet Wallach.

Jane Kirkpatrick has a historical series change and cherish. It is 3 books. The first one is A Clearing in the Wild. I loved these books. Emma is a strong woman. A lot of history about the Willamette Valley and wagon train west.

Young Emma Wagner chafes at the constraints of Bethel colony, an 1850s religious community in Missouri that is determined to remain untainted by the concerns of the world. A passionate and independent thinker, she resents the limitations placed on women, who are expected to serve in quiet submission. In a community where dissent of any form is discouraged, Emma finds it difficult to rein in her tongue–and often doesn’t even try to do so, fueling the animosity between her and the colony’s charismatic and increasingly autocratic leader, Wilhelm Keil.

Eventually Emma and her husband, Christian, are sent along with eight other men to scout out a new location in the northwest where the Bethelites can prepare to await “the last days.” Christian believes they’ve found the ideal situation in Washington territory, but when Keil arrives with the rest of the community, he rejects Christian’s choice in favor of moving to Oregon.

Broken Glass Park by Alina Bronsky

The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett

Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls

Madame Tussaud by Michelle Moran

Gal: A True Life by Ruthie Bolton

Daughter of Fortune by Isabel Allende

I like this list. :)

Isabel Allende is one of my all-time favorite authors. Love, love, love her books. House of Spirits is her best, IMHO, although I really love them all. She writes about strong women.

9780553273915.jpg

The series, The Song of Ice and Fire. The first book is, The Game of Thrones

The books are very engaging, and there are some very strong women, men as well, but there are a lot of strong female characters.

I never made it that far, but I disagree. There was too much rape of young (what, 11 years old? And then the dancers) for me to consider this a book that is empowering to women. All that I saw was them being taken advantage of and raped before I almost threw up.

Any books on Elizabeth I are good. Her Alison Weir biography is very accessible.

I never made it that far, but I disagree. There was too much rape of young (what, 11 years old? And then the dancers) for me to consider this a book that is empowering to women. All that I saw was them being taken advantage of and raped before I almost threw up.

I think there's a lot of feminism of a sort in the Game of Thrones series, but it's also just so violent and so bleak and so abusive that it can hurt to read.

GOT series is not really enjoyed so much as experienced, so keep that in mind.