Menu

18th Century England - Understanding the Culture

In order to make the most of it, a current reading dd is handling is set in 18th c. England. The specific title is: Sorcery & Cecelia or The Enchanted Chocolate Pot.

The vocabulary in this text is fairly rich; and I'm finding that modern definitions of words and their usage cannot be translated properly in contemporary context in order to glean from the writing what was intended (should you care to wonder).

This is a challenge, because the historical backdrop poses one problem (as it is new) and secondarily because the intent behind the words are being used in the most historical 18th century form and approach.

I sense some big opportunity here; but how to "detangle" and keep it fun is my burden of the moment.

We are using a three-reading process with journaling and note taking, so it's slow going currently.

Does anyone have suggestions, websites or tips for understanding word usage of late 18th Century literature? I think the tone is meant to reflect the more mature years of what is termed, "The Age of Enlightenment" and the conflicts they experienced at that time.

There is a lot to bite at in this book, but time pressure to complete is also an issue; to afford a great deal of rabbit trails would take away from what this reading is meant to be; and that is a first exposure to this type of fictional reading of a novel. Speed is an issue.

Thanks if you have thoughts to share. :)

In order to make the most of it, a current reading dd is handling is set in 18th c. England. The specific title is: Sorcery & Cecelia or The Enchanted Chocolate Pot.

The vocabulary in this text is fairly rich; and I'm finding that modern definitions of words and their usage cannot be translated properly in contemporary context in order to glean from the writing what was intended (should you care to wonder).

This is a challenge, because the historical backdrop poses one problem (as it is new) and secondarily because the intent behind the words are being used in the most historical 18th century form and approach.

I sense some big opportunity here; but how to "detangle" and keep it fun is my burden of the moment.

We are using a three-reading process with journaling and note taking, so it's slow going currently.

Does anyone have suggestions, websites or tips for understanding word usage of late 18th Century literature? I think the tone is meant to reflect the more mature years of what is termed, "The Age of Enlightenment" and the conflicts they experienced at that time.

There is a lot to bite at in this book, but time pressure to complete is also an issue; to afford a great deal of rabbit trails would take away from what this reading is meant to be; and that is a first exposure to this type of fictional reading of a novel. Speed is an issue.

I think I kind of get what you are after, but it might be helpful to provide some examples.

I have serious doubts about whether a YA novel really includes true 19th century vocab. Sure maybe some set pieces to set the atmosphere.

Depending on what you want to do, you can access the Oxford English Dictionary. It provides definitions on words used in English in time sequence and shows when the definition was used. So, for example, if you look up the word "sentence" you'll learn that in Chaucer's time it was a group of words as we define a sentence, but instead meant "meaning or sense."

They have a website: http://www.oed.com/ However, I think you'll need a sign in code. I'd check with your local library to see if they can help you with that.

What I remember of this particular book is that it was a bit of a send up of the regency era going to town and having ones season lifestyle popularized in regency romances (set in regency but written later).

This particular book has the complication that the regency world depicted is one in which magic is also a factor, with a royal college of magic and warring sorcerers or wizards. So perhaps some of the words were created for this magical setting. Others were a bit slangy and meant to give flavor (I'm thinking of words like "bluestocking" or references to Beau Brummel).

However, you might see if the library has What Jane Austen Ate and Charles Dickens Knew. I've heard pretty good stuff about this book.

As I remember, "Sorcery and Cecelia" is firmly in the Regency period, so you want early 19th century---think Jane Austen. The social mores, fashions, etc, at least as I remember them being depicted in fiction, were quite different than those of the earlier Georgian period (late 18th century). For a quick reference, try:

The Regency Lexicon http://www.thenonesuch.com/lexicon.htm intended as a resource for writers of Regency romances

http://www.erasofelegance.com/arts/literature/janespeak.html Janespeak: a dictionary for Regency enthusiasts

http://janeaustensworld.wordpress.com/social-customs-and-the-regency-world/ Jane Austen's world (it's a blog about the era)

http://www.jasa.net.au/study/whalan.htm background info written to help understand Jane Austen's book, "Emma."

Edited by KarenNC