Menu

Achievement testing: which one?

[similar to post on logic board, updated for my high schooler]

We test yearly on LA and Math. This is mainly for state requirements but dh also likes to know how the kids compare to others.

So far I have mainly used the CAT tests. We used the IOWA one a few years ago but the CAT is so easy to get and administer. I can sign up with the public school for either the Stanford 10 Achievement Test or the Iowa Tests of Basic Skills if I want. I can also sign up to become a tester, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

So is it worth it to use either of these other tests instead of the CAT test? I've heard the CAT test is 'easier' than the others but I don't know if this is true. Aside from the administration details, are there differences between these tests?

For my 10th grader, I thought we'd be doing the SAT's but he is still catching up in math. He'll finish Algebra this school year. No sense doing an SAT without Algebra and at least some Geometry. Just not sure if we should do another CAT or if there a reason to do one of the other two?? :confused:

We have to test yearly in MN, but I've never used the CAT. We used the Iowa in elementary, and then started the pre-ACT (PLAN test) and pre-SAT (PSAT test) in about 9th grade. If your child isn't ready for the ACT/SAT, then the PLAN and PSAT are good practice.

For younger kids, the Iowa is very basic, covering mostly math and reading. The science and geography adds a little "picture" work but basically reading nonfiction. The only thing I've heard about any of the others is that one test (the Stanford?) asked about Rosa Parks back during the year she died, so some of them do seem to be more content-specific, but the Iowa is not. Some of the test prep books also include some more specific grammar type things, analogies and such, that we've never seen on the Iowa.

For us, the biggest test prep skills are (1) filling in bubbles on a test prep book, so that doesn't take any brain power on testing day, and (2) getting kids used to editing an "official looking" book - yes, the grown-ups really made mistakes that the kids are supposed to find! We used simple sentences on a marker board ala Great Editing Adventure for a few weeks, and that did the trick.

Testing annoys me so I don't fret too much about the results. My best example is when my very geography-proficient son got his worst score on geography. He said they had a globe with an arrow on it and asked where the arrow was, or something like that, and he had no idea what they wanted; they wanted something like "north," even though he could have told you what countries it was on :) But I guess I've accepted that testing's the best tool they have for assessing hordes of kids, so we've gotta learn to do our best on them.

Also, we test in large groups, and I feel the sense of "everybody's gotta do it" has been helpful to my particular kids.

Julie

[similar to post on logic board, updated for my high schooler]

We test yearly on LA and Math. This is mainly for state requirements but dh also likes to know how the kids compare to others.

So far I have mainly used the CAT tests. We used the IOWA one a few years ago but the CAT is so easy to get and administer. I can sign up with the public school for either the Stanford 10 Achievement Test or the Iowa Tests of Basic Skills if I want. I can also sign up to become a tester, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

So is it worth it to use either of these other tests instead of the CAT test? I've heard the CAT test is 'easier' than the others but I don't know if this is true. Aside from the administration details, are there differences between these tests?

For my 10th grader, I thought we'd be doing the SAT's but he is still catching up in math. He'll finish Algebra this school year. No sense doing an SAT without Algebra and at least some Geometry. Just not sure if we should do another CAT or if there a reason to do one of the other two?? :confused:

What about doing a CAT now for state purposes, then focusing his thoughts toward the PSAT, which is only given in the fall of the year and is a big test for high school juniors to take. That would give you a good nationwide ranking of his standings with his peers.