Menu

Achievement Testing: Which test?

We test yearly on LA and Math. This is mainly for state requirements but dh also likes to know how the kids compare to others.

So far I have mainly used the CAT tests. We used the IOWA one a few years ago but the CAT is so easy to get and administer. I can sign up with the public school for either the Stanford 10 Achievement Test or the Iowa Tests of Basic Skills if I want. I can also sign up to become a tester, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

So is it worth it to use either of these other tests instead of the CAT test? I've heard the CAT test is 'easier' than the others but I don't know if this is true. Aside from the administration details, are there differences between these tests?

I wouldn't use the system. They get the results before you do. And your children will be testing in an unfamilar situation.

If you really want a test that really gives you information. Find someone who does the Woodcock-Johnson, it is pricy but it will give you more information.

If you just want to satisfy the system then I would go with the cat.

We are having to think about it this year now too, since our coop lost the great deal we had with the local private school.

So is it worth it to use either of these other tests instead of the CAT test? I've heard the CAT test is 'easier' than the others but I don't know if this is true. Aside from the administration details, are there differences between these tests?

On this point, this is said by folks who don't understand how standardized testing works.

The test is "normed" by being given to lots and lots of school children at all different grades and then seeing where those children fall on certain questions and over all.

This means that how hard or easy a test appears to be doesn't matter. If the questions are all easy then more of them will need to be answered correctly to hit the average.

A test where the initial questions are too hard would be a problem because not enough children would get them right to create an average and standard deviation, but too easy should work unless every child got every question right.

In all standardized tests there are questions that are too hard for the average student in the grade, they are there to help accurately set the above average students and to help provide those grade level assessments you see.

(As an aside, don't get fooled into thinking your child is working or reading at an X-grade level because of those grade levels provided. Instead think my child did as well on this test as an average X-grader would if they took it.)

Okay, reading over that doesn't strike me as particularly clear, so let me know if it doesn't make sense.

I think the CAT is fine. I test my son a year ahead because the test at his level would not give me a good read of his weaknesses. I test for my knowledge of his skills. If you are testing for requorements by the state, you may want to stick with his current grade. They did tell me not to go more than one grade up if fulfilling a state requirement. It is so cheap though, you could do two years if you need a better assessment.

We test yearly on LA and Math. This is mainly for state requirements but dh also likes to know how the kids compare to others.

So far I have mainly used the CAT tests. We used the IOWA one a few years ago but the CAT is so easy to get and administer. I can sign up with the public school for either the Stanford 10 Achievement Test or the Iowa Tests of Basic Skills if I want. I can also sign up to become a tester, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Last year I did CAT and SAT with one of my kids. The normed percentage results were pretty close on both tests.

One advantage of the CAT was that I could look over the test booklet and take specific not of what he got wrong before sending it in for grading (for my knowledge of what I needed to work on).

The advantage of the SAT was that it wasn't a solo with mom at the unfamiliar kitchen table experience. One of my goals with testing is for them to go into high stakes tests like Advanced Placement or the SAT (for college, not the Stanfords) and not be bowled over by things like needing to bring pencils and erasers, having talking be restricted, working on a set schedule and having a lot of people around them that they may not know and who are something of a distraction.

We test with a homeschool coop. That is a nice place for us, because it is a less familiar environment without being the lone outsiders as they would be if going to a school to test.

For your older kid(s) you might want to start shifting focus to PSAT/SAT/ACT.

The advantage of the SAT was that it wasn't a solo with mom at the unfamiliar kitchen table experience. One of my goals with testing is for them to go into high stakes tests like Advanced Placement or the SAT (for college, not the Stanfords) and not be bowled over by things like needing to bring pencils and erasers, having talking be restricted, working on a set schedule and having a lot of people around them that they may not know and who are something of a distraction.

We test with a homeschool coop. That is a nice place for us, because it is a less familiar environment without being the lone outsiders as they would be if going to a school to test.

:iagree:

L

good catch I read that as ages,

yes for the older ones I would work on the higher up test.

Which as I said I need to look at my options now too.

our Stanford 10 testing option dried up.

not fun.