Menu

Please tell me 10 is old enough...

For a boy- no. They must be reminded before the shower as washing hair is a new thing. It goes along with asking "is that clean underwear your wearing and not the pair you wore to the shower in the first place."

If you find the magic potion that reminds them let me know.

:iagree:

This extends to brushing teeth, washing hands, putting on deodorant, and using soap on thier bodies in the shower.

Ask me how I know. :glare:

:svengo: OMG can you tell I am not used to boys? No brothers all sisters here.

He didn't use soap either!

BLA5 you made me laugh. I have to remind him *every* day to wear deodorant. And wash hands. And do anything hygienic.

*sigh* must be the Y chromosome. I am going to make a shower/going to the bathroom checklist I think! :D Which words like soap and shampoo on them!

BLA5 you made me laugh. I have to remind him *every* day to wear deodorant. And wash hands. And do anything hygienic.

*sigh* must be the Y chromosome. I am going to make a shower/going to the bathroom checklist I think! :D Which words like soap and shampoo on them!

I would have to make ours a flow chart. I cannot tell you how many times DS has gone to the bathroom, brushed his teeth, and then washed his hands. *gag*

This is what I've learned to say, "Go take a shower, wash your hair, use soap on each part of your body." I started after too many showers after which he said, "What!I was suppose to wash my hair and clean my body TOO!"

Sometimes I say, "Shampoo and soap is assumed.":lol:

I don't get it either.

Fresh underwear needs reminding, too.

For a boy- no. They must be reminded before the shower as washing hair is a new thing. It goes along with asking "is that clean underwear your wearing and not the pair you wore to the shower in the first place."

No, fair! Your boy wears underwear? Without being told? I I have twice taken my son shopping for clothes only to find he is not wearing underwear. :confused:

:iagree:

This extends to brushing teeth, washing hands, putting on deodorant, and using soap on thier bodies in the shower.

Ask me how I know. :glare:

This is what I've learned to say, "Go take a shower, wash your hair, use soap on each part of your body." I started after too many showers after which he said, "What!I was suppose to wash my hair and clean my body TOO!"

Sometimes I say, "Shampoo and soap is assumed.":lol:

I don't get it either.

Fresh underwear needs reminding, too.

yep, what they said.

Don't forget, too, to remind about trying to wash the bellybutton. And under the arms. Sometimes with these boys you have to be very very specific.

and remind them too that showering does not equal ability to skip deodorant that day. I can't count how many times I've heard, "Deodorant? but I just took a shower...???"

... to remember to wash your hair in the shower?

:glare::willy_nilly::blink:

Uhm, no. Going on 13 here and the last shower he got (today) when he got out I thought it looked greasy, I asked him "Did you wash your hair?" him, :001_huh: "Oh, does it have to be washed every shower?"

:confused:

My son didn't do it at 10. Now that he is nearly 12 and hormones are starting to change him, it is even worse. Now I have to threaten him with washing him myself just to make sure he uses soap with his water. And I keep deodorant in the car. Let's not even discuss the funk that comes out of his shoes...

My boys both went through a "gross" phase right around 10 or 11 where I don't think they even used soap when they did use a shower and I sometimes had to walk them to the shower and make them get one because otherwise their clothes were going to walk right off them from the smell. :ack2:

You mean water doesn't just clean as well as soap?

:lol:

You mean that when I get out of the shower after "washing" my hair, and my hair is not even wet, that you expect me to actually get back in the shower to wash my hair again? Why can't I just stick my head under the sink faucet and get my hair wet.:confused::confused::001_huh:

Thankfully, middle child has finally outgrown that stage. It took way too long.

Girl vs. boy. Seriously. Boys are a whole 'nother ball game.

:iagree:. Word.

My 10yo told my 8yo that if you wash your hair and rinse so the shampoo goes down your body It counts as washing!

My son does the same thing.

I think I started a thread not too long ago about thing you never though you would have to say. I mentioned that I never thought I would actually have to tell my son that the underwear he wore for God-knows-how-many-days were not acceptable to wear after he took a shower. Also, just because you do not rinse out the shampoo does not mean you do not have to wash your hair for a week.

Unfortunately, my dd still needs to be reminded to wear deodorant and shower. Poor girl is completely oblivious.

But ladies, just wait until they are around 13. Sometimes older...but around there. My ds13 takes a shower EVERY DAY...sometimes twice a day if we let him. And he is in there FOR.E.VER! :glare: The steam from the hot shower is enough to set off the smoke alarm! And regular soap isn't good enough anymore. Nope. Has to have MAN soap. Axe. Only Axe. Or something that smells similarly manly enough. And lets not even get started on the deodorant. The child has a room in the basement of our home....which we affectionately call the "man cave". I kid you not...2 steps down the stairs and you need a mask. :001_huh: The kid must have some serious BO or the nozzle of the deodorant spray can got stuck...while it was spraying. *cough* *cough* I guess I should be grateful, b/c I have a 10yo boy exactly as you all have described. He has to be reminded to change clothes every day...not just underwear. But if the child does smell, one might never know. B/c his room is in the basement as well. All things odorous down there are covered by the smell of Axe deodorant (aka multi-room deodorant).

DD13 still has to be reminded about deoderant constantly. We now keep an extra deoderant in the car, so if I forget to ask her before we leave the house, there is still an option. :glare:

*sigh* and this is a GIRL!

I actually keep deodorant in the glove compartment of my car because of my 13yodd's constant "oops!" when I ask if she remembered to use it.

She is adequately "deodorized" by the time we reach the mailbox....every time. ;)

DS10 has been at boarding school for nearly two years -- when he first went, I sent him with a bottle of shampoo. Last weekend he said, hey mom, it's time to buy me more shampoo! The bottle lasted him two years! And he thinks this is normal!

I had also reached the end of my rope when ds was about 10 or 11 and I DID make a list. We have lists all over the house. Now all I have to do is to remind them "Did you follow your list?"

Their shower is a corner shower and has glass on two sides. I made a list of exactly how I wanted them to shower (shampoo first and leave in, wash body completely working from top down- entire body should have suds, wash face with facewash, rinse hair and repeat, rinse completely, conditioner for dd, use squeege on walls and glass). I then slipped this into a clear pocket folder and taped it to the outside of the glass so they look up and there is their list. When they were younger, I put fun clipart on each entry - like a skunk at the top of the page.

There is a second list taped to the mirror over the sink. (Deodorant, brush teeth, face meds/lotions, dry hair, TOWEL ON RACK, wipe around sink). I keep a cleaning cloth on a rack attached to the inside of the door under the sink.

There is a third list in their rooms. Actually 3 lists on a cork board - what do you do when you get up, what to do before bed, detailed bedroom cleaning list.

There is a fourth list in the kitchen for each kid with breakfast, lunch, and dinner to-do's which also includes "tidy time" help lists.

There is a list in their co-op box for things they need before they leave the house.

There is a weekly assignment sheet for school work that they receive every Monday morning attached to a clipboard.

Things don't always get done the first time, but the fact that all I have to do is point to the list reminds them of what is expected.

(I also have all of these lists and it is a trememdous help in this ADHD laden household. :D Life has been so much better since I put up the lists!)

But ladies, just wait until they are around 13. Sometimes older...but around there. My ds13 takes a shower EVERY DAY...sometimes twice a day if we let him. And he is in there FOR.E.VER! :glare: The steam from the hot shower is enough to set off the smoke alarm! And regular soap isn't good enough anymore. Nope. Has to have MAN soap. Axe. Only Axe. Or something that smells similarly manly enough. And lets not even get started on the deodorant. The child has a room in the basement of our home....which we affectionately call the "man cave". I kid you not...2 steps down the stairs and you need a mask. :001_huh: The kid must have some serious BO or the nozzle of the deodorant spray can got stuck...while it was spraying. *cough* *cough*

Yes....this is exactly what happened in my house except I have one in the basement and one with a room upstairs so in the mornings and evenings there is nowhere to hide from the spray! Ack!!!!

I'm also a list person. We have picture schedules all over the house! In the shower, each kid has a laminated pic scheduled that is very, very detailed for washing every little part of their bodies.

My current goal is getting dd to shower multiple times weekly because once is not cutting it, and getting ds to shower instead of swimming in his dirty bath water.

But ladies, just wait until they are around 13. Sometimes older...but around there. My ds13 takes a shower EVERY DAY...sometimes twice a day if we let him. And he is in there FOR.E.VER! :glare: The steam from the hot shower is enough to set off the smoke alarm! And regular soap isn't good enough anymore. Nope. Has to have MAN soap. Axe. Only Axe. Or something that smells similarly manly enough. And lets not even get started on the deodorant. The child has a room in the basement of our home....which we affectionately call the "man cave". I kid you not...2 steps down the stairs and you need a mask. :001_huh: The kid must have some serious BO or the nozzle of the deodorant spray can got stuck...while it was spraying. *cough* *cough* I guess I should be grateful, b/c I have a 10yo boy exactly as you all have described. He has to be reminded to change clothes every day...not just underwear. But if the child does smell, one might never know. B/c his room is in the basement as well. All things odorous down there are covered by the smell of Axe deodorant (aka multi-room deodorant).

Sue! Too funny.

I posted recently about Zee, who wanted to wear cologne like Daddy. Well, daddy's cologne is a bit pricey for an 8yo, ;), so I took him to the store and let him pick out his own 'cologne'; he picked and Axe deodorant. :D

Now, the boy doesn't smell; he's got no bo, he's fastidious about clean clothes/underwear, and he bathes frequently. He just wants to smell 'nice'. He figured since mommy wears perfume, and daddy wears cologne, he should get to smell good, too. :001_smile:

But him and Moose get a little carried away with the Axe. More than once, I've been in the living room downstairs, and can smell it because they're spraying it in the bathroom UPstairs. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...