Menu

Math help- MM not working anymore

kwickimom

I cant take it anymore. DD cries every single day over Math and I cannot sit next to her and go over every.single.problem.

She cant do a single problem on her own ever. I am using Math Mammoth and I quit.

What Math program teaches ONE little bitty skill and then has two million review problems??

What Math program teaches ONE little bitty skill and then has two million review problems??

Horizons. Though I feel that even using the TM, it isn't as good at building conceptual understanding as a program like MM or Singapore. I'm using Horizons with Singapore to get the best of both approaches.

I cant take it anymore. DD cries every single day over Math and I cannot sit next to her and go over every.single.problem.

She cant do a single problem on her own ever. I am using Math Mammoth and I quit.

I think Saxon does this in a mastery format and Horizons does it with a spiral format...but I may be confused.

Is it possible that they are not developmentally ready for it? Just because we give these things grade levels doesn't mean all the kiddos have the abstract thinking needed to do it.

Heather

Is it possible that they are not developmentally ready for it? Just because we give these things grade levels doesn't mean all the kiddos have the abstract thinking needed to do it.

Heather

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Can you back down to 3B? MM does teach the concepts in bites with lots of practice problems....Sounds like she doesn't "get it". Perhaps she needs a break from whatever you are working on. Can you select a topic that she does well with? You can skip around some....

Have you considered CLE?

I have been struggling with spiral vs mastery for 2 years now with 3 kids!! Here is what I have concluded: My oldest daughter who was in public school her whole life and is now a freshman in college, once told me she would have thrown herself off a bridge if she had to learn math through mastery!! (She scored a 34 on her math ACT, btw) But she said if she didn't get a topic, she did better moving on and THEN circling around to it later! She said it also helped her cement those concepts she DID understand to review those concepts more than just once or twice a year!

I think it really does come down to learning style. But, my DS (7) is just a "mathy" kid so I have him doing Singapore, because I want him to "see" the math...whereas my other DS (9)...we TRIED MM and SM, but finally this year we went to CLE and it has been AMAZING!!! He NEEDED the constant review and the very GENTLE introduction to new concepts, but if he didn't get it the first time, the more he revisited it, the better it got!

Now I have a DD (6) who I am struggling with where to go with her. She did SM Essentials this year, but am leaning toward CLE with her as well.

In the end, my DD (18) scored a near perfect score on her math ACT, and didn't take any "conceptual" math classes and it got her that "full ride" scholarship we needed!! But, she is an English major, so she has tested out of all college level courses based on her ACT score so she doesn't need any further math!

Maybe your DD is like mine was, and she is frustrated by not mastering that ONE thing that is preventing her from moving on...which is the down side of mastery math in my opinion. They just seem to get more and more frustrated, but you have to master it while you are there, because you won't be coming back to it anytime soon!! KWIM?? Maybe the spiral is more what her learning style requires...and for that I HIGHLY recommend CLE!! It is not "easy" by any means....I call it rigorous but gentle!!

HTH!!

Alicia

DS9 very happy with MUS, LOF math -- may or may not fit your DD--but LOF and MUS both have good return policies if they're not an improvement on your current situation.

SM is not all that good a fit for DS--have it more b/c of raves here, no tears at least not yet, but not happy with it either. We also have IXL online. DS does not like to take the time to see their solutions when he misses something, but that is also an option to your sitting with DD, and Khan Academy might also be worth taking a look at.