Menu

C. rods for music

SorrelZG

I have a new appreciation for our C. rods. I was working with DS on his piano practice, trying to help him read the music, not just memorize the tune and although he gets the quarter/half/whole note thing and about time signatures in theory, it wasn't really evident in practice so an idea came to me to lay out each measure with C. rods across the top of the keyboard under his music so he could see the 4,4 timing and each measure made of various combinations of quarter, half and whole notes and you know what IT WORKED!

I've used them for that when teaching. In fact, most of the manipulatives I own I bought when teaching K-6 general music because I found them so helpful in teaching music concepts :). I've also seen it work the other way-that kids who could NOT get fractions could once they'd seen it in musical notation and heard it.

I've used them for that when teaching. In fact, most of the manipulatives I own I bought when teaching K-6 general music because I found them so helpful in teaching music concepts :). I've also seen it work the other way-that kids who could NOT get fractions could once they'd seen it in musical notation and heard it.

I knew there was a link between math and music but I'm still surprised it occurred to me to use one to help with the other.

You know what, I think fractions is exactly what DS was struggling to grasp - I noticed recently that he wasn't truly getting the idea of "half" when it kept coming up in math.

This reminds me-- someone posted awhile back about music theory and c-rods. Something about the color of the rods representing something about music... Does this ring a bell to anyone??

I just tried searching through old threads because I KNOW I replied to whomever posted the information about it. I distinctly remember thinking OH- How COOL! I must save this for later.

I guess I didn't though because I can't remember who brought it up or where to find it. There are so many threads on c-rods that I can't sort through them all.

On a side note I did find this fun ditty...