Menu

I do not know how to deal with DD11 when she ........

is THIS cooperative!

I don't think she has ever been THIS cooperative.....EVER!

Is this really the Intuniv/Adderall alternatate day dosing? Really?

I am not joking -- I think if she were like this every day, the doctor could discontinue my blood pressure meds.

HOLY COOPERATION, BATMAN!!!!!

Your alternating days?

How is she first thing in the morning?

I am about to rip my hair out with ds9.

He gets the adderall XR in the morning and regular adderall in the afternoon. Before he takes his adderall he is a nightmare. I just want to cry writing that. If we miss the afternoon dose (which is a recent addition) our evening is totally miserable.

Dh is having a difficult time with him. When it is starting to work out of his system, you cannot, talk, reason, ask, suggest he do anything. Yesterday morning for church dh told him to change his t-shirt, which resulted in a meltdown, fit, combative argument. I walked in, and saying nothing, motioned for him to remove his shirt, pulled over his head and redressed him appropriately. He managed to calm down when I would not engage him, but it was a really rough 40 min getting ready and waiting fo rthe meds to kick in.

I have learned not to engage DD until her Adderall has been in her for at least an hour. On a good day she will get up and remember to stumble to the kitchen and take her pill right out of bed. Then she hits the shower and eats breakfast before school starts. Those days go smoothly. Then there are the days that reminds me why she is on the meds as she forgets to take the pill. Usually there is a guaranteed meltdown over some random subject and nasty attitude. Her mood swings and ability to control her anger outbursts has improved greatly after switching from Strattera to Adderall. It almost unreal the difference the right med combo can make.

My oldest ds is taking Intuniv. I never heard about alternating days before. I was under the impression that it is taken daily and if you miss a dose, take it asap. We monitor his blood pressure twice a week too.

Maybe I will need to talk to his doctor about some changes. The intuniv seems to be helping with behavioral issues, but not the ADD, so maybe we could try some other med or a combo.

I'd talk to your doctor about the uncooperative behavior since it is not typical for your dd.

Your alternating days?

How is she first thing in the morning? THIS is what is amazing as well -- I would want to run and hide when I heard her feet hit the floor in the morning. She has been waking up with an appetite and in a pleasant mood.

I am about to rip my hair out with ds9.

He gets the adderall XR in the morning and regular adderall in the afternoon. Before he takes his adderall he is a nightmare. I just want to cry writing that. If we miss the afternoon dose (which is a recent addition) our evening is totally miserable.

When we first started Adderall (a couple of years ago) we switched from XR to regular (not extended release) - so she takes NOT XR.

Dh is having a difficult time with him. When it is starting to work out of his system, you cannot, talk, reason, ask, suggest he do anything. Yesterday morning for church dh told him to change his t-shirt, which resulted in a meltdown, fit, combative argument. I walked in, and saying nothing, motioned for him to remove his shirt, pulled over his head and redressed him appropriately. He managed to calm down when I would not engage him, but it was a really rough 40 min getting ready and waiting fo rthe meds to kick in.

Life here was precisely as you describe above -- the slightest thing would result in total meltdown. I sit here today totally amazed. Totally amazed.

OH, and I give her the INTUNIV at 5am while she is still asleep. I wake her up, give it to her, and she goes back to sleep.

Edited by MariannNOVA

My oldest ds is taking Intuniv. I never heard about alternating days before. I was under the impression that it is taken daily and if you miss a dose, take it asap. We monitor his blood pressure twice a week too.

Maybe I will need to talk to his doctor about some changes. The intuniv seems to be helping with behavioral issues, but not the ADD, so maybe we could try some other med or a combo.

I'd talk to your doctor about the uncooperative behavior since it is not typical for your dd.

I am taking her in next week for her bp to be checked. She is on the lowest possible dose (1mg) and she is a peanut of a little girl. Every day made her hyper -- every other day seems to do the trick.

I have learned not to engage DD until her Adderall has been in her for at least an hour. On a good day she will get up and remember to stumble to the kitchen and take her pill right out of bed. Then she hits the shower and eats breakfast before school starts. Those days go smoothly. Then there are the days that reminds me why she is on the meds as she forgets to take the pill. Usually there is a guaranteed meltdown over some random subject and nasty attitude. Her mood swings and ability to control her anger outbursts has improved greatly after switching from Strattera to Adderall. It almost unreal the difference the right med combo can make.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:totally.

We do not have many good days like that :o

He wakes up immediately oppositional, does not want to take his meds, huffs stomps, snarls, whines and is just generally difficult.

We have had many discussions (especially recently), once they have kicked in, on how they help him. He knows that his dad has to take similar meds, but he just doesn't understand why his twin doesn't have to take meds. He is not quite mature enough to grasp that even though they identical on the outside their brains are wired differently.

Mine will do the huff, stomp, snarl, if she is doing something else when I remind her to take her second dose. Maturity and knowing that it really does help, makes getting the first dose in easier. Not to mention, she is supposed to take it before her not a morning person of a mother crawls out of bed, so normally that isn't much of an issue.

OK, Mariann, spill it.

Is the magic still there today? :D

(I hope it is!!!)

YUP!!!!! Went into her room at 6am -- gave her the intuniv, she went back to sleep and woke up cheerfully -- THAT is SO unusual until we started this.

So far, so good. In fact, today at cc, she actually displayed remorse b/c she hadn't done her Essentials work.