Menu

Types of workouts and keeping all the information straight . . .

All along I knew I needed cardio. It was information I read here with you all that convinced me I needed to add strength training, too. (Strong Women Stay Young is the book I think was suggested.) So . . . I picked up a resistance band and a few dumbbells.

Now that I'm not only overweight but also have back and knee joint issues, I discover I need flexiblity, too? And some articles add in balance and stretch . . .

I knew cardio should be at least 3x per week and strength at least 2x (not on back to back days), but I just read I need stretch every day.

Every day?

Good golly.

I've never been athletic and hadn't taken a regular class since high school. I was clumsy and inflexible and hated having to do it anyway. Now I know I have to.

I have a treadmill and some DVDs (including a pretty good offering at the library and Netflix).

Not only is this a physical challenge, it's an organizational one for me! If you are active and are a regular exerciser, would you mind sharing your schedule? How much time does it take? (Theoretically, I think I should take longer because I'm trying to LOSE weight, but I'm curious to know how long it takes to maintain.)

I like Leslie Sansone and am intrigued by barre workouts. I've tried Pilates and want to keep at it. Does yoga count as "stretch"? I have a Yoga for Dummies DVD on hold at the library.

Also . . . if you're trying to follow a Pilates or yoga move and your . . . ahem . . . fatty tissue gets in the way, what do you do? These are beginner workouts, and sometimes I can't fold my leg or stretch my chest over because some of me is in the way . . . Do I need to lose weight before I attempt these fold-up things? Or does leaning over count? WWYD?

tia

Edited by BamaTanya

I don't have a set schedule, because every day is different.

I try to do at least two workouts everyday, but somedays I only do one and some days I do three. Last Tuesday I had a bad headache all day and did nothing. But the day before, I had done three workouts, so it all balances out.

Here are my usual activities:

Elliptical Trainer: 45 minutes (burning around 300 calories)

Couch to 5K running/walking program: 27 minutes (173 calories)

Recumbent Bike: about 15 miles (burns almost 300 calories)

Weight Lifting: takes around 30 minutes

Leslie Sansone video (once per week with friends. Usually do around 3 miles)

Each day I just try to pick two of those to do. Although I can't run or do weights 2 straight days in a row, so those have to alternate. Also, I don't do ellipitcal and bike on the same days.

I try to do weight lifting and running 3 days per week, with the other things added in.

I have some PT exercises for my back, but I don't do those as often. My weight lifting program uses the swiss ball, so I'm getting some pretty good core work.

I am going to do some water aerobics with a friend to see if I like that. It would be nice to do that once per week to add some variety.

Also the times I workout are different. My friends and I don't do Leslie videos until about 8:30 at night. I usually do running in the afternoon, cardio in the mornings and weight lifting in the evenings.

Not sure if this helps you. It works for me right now. :)

All along I knew I needed cardio. It was information I read here with you all that convinced me I needed to add strength training, too. (Strong Women Stay Young is the book I think was suggested.) So . . . I picked up a resistance band and a few dumbbells.

Now that I'm not only overweight but also have back and knee joint issues, I discover I need flexiblity, too? And some articles add in balance and stretch . . .

I knew cardio should be at least 3x per week and strength at least 2x (not on back to back days), but I just read I need stretch every day.

Every day?

Good golly.

Just include some stretching into your cardio and strength training routines. My P90X2 set has two days set aside for Recover and Mobility (foam rolling and stretching) but stretching is incorporated in all the other workouts.

I've never been athletic and hadn't taken a regular class since high school. I was clumsy and inflexible and hated having to do it anyway. Now I know I have to.

I have a treadmill and some DVDs (including a pretty good offering at the library and Netflix).

Not only is this a physical challenge, it's an organizational one for me! If you are active and are a regular exerciser, would you mind sharing your schedule? How much time does it take? (Theoretically, I think I should take longer because I'm trying to LOSE weight, but I'm curious to know how long it takes to maintain.)

I share your pain with organization which is why I use a 90 day program which has everything (cardio and strength). I love exercise and reap the most benefit when I exercise two hours a day. YOU could get enough benefit with 45 minutes a day I think to include some stretching.

I like Leslie Sansone and am intrigued by barre workouts. I've tried Pilates and want to keep at it. Does yoga count as "stretch"? I have a Yoga for Dummies DVD on hold at the library.

I would count yoga and pilates as stretching.

Also . . . if you're trying to follow a Pilates or yoga move and your . . . ahem . . . fatty tissue gets in the way, what do you do? These are beginner workouts, and sometimes I can't fold my leg or stretch my chest over because some of me is in the way . . . Do I need to lose weight before I attempt these fold-up things? Or does leaning over count? WWYD?

No, do your best and forget the rest.

tia

My responses in red. HTH