Menu

PLL Question

RainbowSprinkles

Hi, yes. My 7 yro starts PLL today, so I have it here. It has a picture lesson, a copywork lesson, a short grammar lesson, a selection to be memorized, an observation lesson (like a nature observation), a dictation lesson...and I think that's pretty much it. It rotates through the lessons I just listed.

I used PLL with my 9 yro (last year) and it's great. We really like it. :thumbup1: I have the hardcover (sold on Amazon) and it's non-consumable. :hurray:

Hi, yes. My 7 yro starts PLL today, so I have it here. It has a picture lesson, a copywork lesson, a short grammar lesson, a selection to be memorized, an observation lesson (like a nature observation), a dictation lesson...and I think that's pretty much it. It rotates through the lessons I just listed.

I used PLL with my 9 yro (last year) and it's great. We really like it. :thumbup1: I have the hardcover (sold on Amazon) and it's non-consumable. :hurray:

Thank you! That's great. I wasn't sure if I should also get WWE Level 1, but I think PLL will be enough for second grade.

You can use Primary Language Lessons (PLL) instead of Writing With Ease if you wish. It is much more gentle, however I do consider WWE to be more rigorous.

I disagree (and I've taught PLL, ILL, 3 levels of WWE and my daughter's getting ready to start WWS/TCW).

Also, WWE is just a writing program. PLL is writing, grammar, memory work and some picture studies. They're very different.

I went through my copy of the hardback PLL last night after reading this thread. We are doing WWE1 and will start WWE2 in a couple of months. I was also planning to start PLL alongwith WWE1, because we combine two WWE1 lessons in a day (copywork + narration or dictation + narration).

From what I can see, PLL involves much more writing than WWE does. At present, my dd is not willing to write more than 2 sentences (copywork or dictation) at a time. Some PLL lessons have upto 5 sentences of dictation or upto 10 sentences to be composed and written.

I am now re-thinking my plan of doing both PLL and WWE in the same week. I may do them in alternate weeks perhaps.

We use both PLL and WWE 2. Ds8 is in third and in the second half of PLL, where there is more writing and there are more compositions. He does fine with WWE. However, I use it more narration a la CM style sometimes, and other times the main story.

OP, if you don't mind the hijack, I have a few questions for starbuck12 (and any other experienced PLL users), mostly about written output.

1. There are some lessons titled 'Reproduction - Oral and Written'. I think these are for narration. Do you have your second graders do a written narration or only oral?

2. Each dictation lesson is a paragraph of 4-5 sentences. Do your second graders write the full thing in one sitting or do you break up the lesson over the whole school day?

3. The poems for memorization are quite long! Do your second graders really memorize them or only read & appreciate them? If they do memorize, how long does this take?

Thanks!

Edited by nansk

OP, if you don't mind the hijack, I have a few questions for starbuck12 (and any other experienced PLL users), mostly about written output.

1. There are some lessons titled 'Reproduction - Oral and Written'. I think these are for narration. Do you have your second graders do a written narration or only oral?

My second grader does his written narration for MFW ADV and Apologia Astronomy, so I do the ones in PLL orally. The written narration he does do is mostly copy a sentence or two that he first dictates to me OR writes one sentence while asking help for spelling. His better narrations are definitely always the oral ones at this point.

2. Each dictation lesson is a paragraph of 4-5 sentences. Do your second graders write the full thing in one sitting or do you break up the lesson over the whole school day?

I break up the lesson over two days for the dictation lessons or copy work/dictation lessons. I shorten dictations to a single sentence, so it may even last 3 days with one sentence left undone. He isn't quite ready for that long of a dictation.

3. The poems for memorization are quite long! Do your second graders really memorize them or only read & appreciate them? If they do memorize, how long does this take?

We are about 12 or 14 lessons into the book. So he hasn't memorized a poem from PLL yet. The poems he has memorized outside of PLL or a long passage of scripture take about 4 - 5 days. I know Marie in MFW suggests memorizing the poem over a week, while still continuing with regular lessons. She also suggests PLL 3 times a week to complete the first half of the book for 2nd grade.

I hope this helps! :)

Thanks!

Yes, this is why I think PLL is more work than WWE. My son struggled through PLL. I also used ILL with my oldest daughter and she was struggling. It is a LOT of writing. :001_smile:

1. We always do this as an oral narration.

2. In the beginning, I would just try to get one good sentence out of him (he would cry when he had to write at that age). Later in the book, I would add more. Some of the copywork passages are sooooo long. The grammar exercises that they're supposed to copy...where there's 10 sentences with fill-in-the-blank...I would just break those up over 3 lessons (I'm such a slacker).

3. Poems...my son just read them and we discussed them. My 7 yro that started PLL yesterday - she's going to memorize them (she likes that kind of thing). It would take her a week to memorize a poem from FLL.

That's just how we did things. Everyone ends up with their own system. :tongue_smilie:

Thank you, gratitude and starrbuck12! Your replies were helpful. What you described sounds quite doable.

I am still unsure of the poems memorization. I did not really like the few poems that I looked at. I have A Child's Garden of Verses and Three Years With The Poets, and the poems in those seem easier to memorize. I may just have my dd read and discuss the poems in PLL and memorize the other ones. Of course, it also depends on her preference. :-)

Thanks again.

This is the area where we've been truly slacking- memorization. We do everything in PLL otherwise. It takes a lot of time and work to have ds memorize poems. I would have to dedicate time and cut into our core subjects. At the end of the school day I'm too tired (I also have a preschooler and a 1-year-old just learning to walk and into everything).

Just now as ds is almost 8 1/2 I've started increasing the writing. He can handle two sets of writing if the total is 10 sentences. I have him copy the whole sentence and fill in the blanks every time. He's turning out much better sentences now, and he likes the composition exercises. PLL is truly a lovely, thorough program. Even if it's just 5 min a day, will have to incorporate memorization more into our routine.

Now we writes some narrations for History, answers questions in writing for Science, does WWE, and PLL. I feel he's getting plenty of writing.

Edited by sagira