Menu

Painting Bathtubs - Question

Some time ago, dh repainted our tub, using whatever the product is that the hardware store recommended. It seemed to work just fine and looked really nice. Now, however, it is peeling - badly.

I have been wondering about something and have what may be a rather dumb question - - -

Can you use the paint used to paint vehicles to paint a tub? Seems to me that cars and trucks get a whole lot more rugged wear than the humble 'ol tub. Would the paint "take" and would it "hold"?

Anybody tried this?

Honestly, I have not seen any product, despite the claims, that would actually stick to bath fixtures over the long haul.

Can you consider getting a new shower skin? I'm not sure what the official name is, but I know you can get a soft vinyl (?) insert that you put right over your tub and walls. My in-laws had this done and it has worked well for them.

About 10 years ago, we had a company come and professionally paint our tub. Of course, I cannot recall the name now. But I do remember that they suggested cleaning the tub with toilet bowl cleaner...very good cleaner and it didn't require scrubbing.

I suppose that doesn't answer your question but I thought I'd share.

You can get a new tub for just over $100 at a home improvement store if you are not picky. There are YouTube videos that show you how to install them too. YouTube saves us a lot of money that way. :001_smile:

I would be concerned about lead and other ingredients in car paint. Lead can no longer be in house paint, but it is in other paints, so I would check that out before using it to paint a tub that the kids will sit in.