Menu

Exercise thread 2/5-2/11

That's what I was thinking! I don't even know what some of the things are you're talking about. But I want to get back to exercising and I have a Y membership that is getting decent use. I did manage, a couple of months ago, to do 1 hour or more of exercise, 5 times a week, mostly at the Y, sometimes at home. THAT is what I want to get back to!

So, I will be doing baby steps compared to some of you, but I'd LOVE to have people to be responsible to! :001_smile: Do you do an exercise thread every week?

Yup. :)

And I'll try not to use too many acronyms. :lol:

No I don't have any of her DVDs. Exercise DVDs I purchased in the past just sat on a shelf and I had the best intentions to do them some day. :lol:

What is NMTZ? I'll have to keep that in mind, but I do love my time at the gym. Can't beat their childcare, the boys get to do awesome things while I get some time to myself.

NMTZ = No More Trouble Zones

It's circuit training with free weights. It was the next thing I did after The 30-Day Shred. Though it took me awhile to build up to where I could do all of it. Initially, I just did each circuit once instead of twice. As fit as you are, it will be no problem for you. She uses 3-lb weights in the DVD. That's where I started. Now I use 8-lb weights except for the first circuit where I can only do 5's.

It's about 45 - 50 minutes.

I'm not nearly as hardcore as you all are. :tongue_smilie:

But, considering I just started getting back to trying to exercise this week, I'm ok with that. :D I didn't do anything yesterday, today I did Crunch Pick Your Spot Pilates. It was ok for me. I did it a few months ago and I could feel it the next day...hoping it will be similar tomorrow. :)

That's what I was thinking! I don't even know what some of the things are you're talking about. But I want to get back to exercising and I have a Y membership that is getting decent use. I did manage, a couple of months ago, to do 1 hour or more of exercise, 5 times a week, mostly at the Y, sometimes at home. THAT is what I want to get back to!

So, I will be doing baby steps compared to some of you, but I'd LOVE to have people to be responsible to! :001_smile: Do you do an exercise thread every week?

Find a program or an activity you like and you will be hardcore soon enough.

Do share! I have about a 2-3 finger separation. I would love to close it.

Have you tried any of the Tupler Technique exercises? I think there is a book or a DVD but I've only used what I found for free online. If you search for videos, there is at least one out there where she has someone demonstrate what to do.

Basically, you suck in your stomach. Instead of the more hollow (I don't know how else to describe it?) way most people suck in their stomach, you actually pull your belly button in toward your spine. She has a few different exercises where you hold that position or move from your regular position as far toward your spine as you can and go in and out right at that farthest position. I know there is a video interview online somewhere that explains it better than I can.

I don't know if she shows it or not, but the other ones I do are kind of like zipping up your stomach as if you were zipping a tight pair of jeans. You lay on your back with your hands on your stomach and visualize your stomach muscles meeting in the center of your body as you tighten them. I do some from the top and some from the bottom. I actually pushed a little bit with my hands when I started, and you can use a towel wrapped around your back to pull the two sides together too.

I don't know if you've tried them before, but they work really well for me. I'm 15 weeks into this pregnancy, and I'm still only at a 1 finger separation. My fourth is due a month after my oldest turns 5, so I've really torn up my stomach over the last few years. Right now I'm barely showing unless I have a large meal, and with my middle two pregnancies I was showing at 6 weeks. I only started doing all of these exercises after my third was born. I wish I'd heard of them sooner!

Sorry to write such an essay! I hope that helps someone!

Kickboxing (1hr), BJJ (1.5 hrs), Karate(lost track of time)...

food, hot shower, and a nap! (maybe a heating pad as well)

I so wish I could have days like yours! That sounds awesome! One of my secret motivations for getting my AFAA and trying to get into the group exercise biz is so I can have an excuse for multiple daily workouts without people thinking I'm an addict or something. :tongue_smilie:

Just Zumba for me this morning. One of our front row girls (well, "girl", she's in her 80's!) is getting married next week, so we all wore red and pink, and our instructor made her a tutu and Zumba "veil" (a Zumba headband with tulle tied to the back that matched the tutu), along with white gloves that had "Zumba" and "Bride" ironed onto them, and "His and Her" water bottles. :lol: Then we all danced to "Single Ladies".

I SO love my Zumba class. :D

So I've noticed that today after I walked/jogged, my legs (shins/calves) are hurting. Not the muscle soreness associated with new exercise. :glare:

I also noticed the second I started jogging that my shins hurt. I fell down a flight of stairs at church and banged my legs up pretty bad, but that was nearly 3 weeks ago now... though my shins have still been hurting if I touch them or put pressure on them.

Is the pain most likely related to that?

So I've noticed that today after I walked/jogged, my legs (shins/calves) are hurting. Not the muscle soreness associated with new exercise. :glare:

I also noticed the second I started jogging that my shins hurt. I fell down a flight of stairs at church and banged my legs up pretty bad, but that was nearly 3 weeks ago now... though my shins have still been hurting if I touch them or put pressure on them.

I don't have experience but I believe you have shin splints.

Muscle imbalance, including weakened core muscles lead to more lower-extremity injuries; also the inflexibility and tightness of the gastrocnemius, soleus, and plantar muscles can contribute to shin splints. [1] Increasing activity, intensity, and duration too quickly leads to shin splints because the tendons and muscles are unable to absorb the impact of the shock force as they become fatigued; also, the tibial bone-remodeling capabilities are overloaded.

I hope you feel better soon. :grouphug:

Ditto what SJ said. You might need different shoes. A good standing stretch is to rotate you toe and ankle. Standing on one foot, point your other foot out in front a little bit. Point your tools upward, and then forward. Do that 10-12 times. Then while pointing your toes forward, rotate your foot clockwise(10-15) and then counter clockwise (10-15). Do the other foot

This is a "cut back" week for me, so it'll be low mileage/intensity this week.

I've been cajoled into starting 100 Pushups, so that will make my life interesting. I am sore from Day 1. It's 3x/wk. http://hundredpushups.com/

Sunday: Rest

Monday: 6 mile run + 100 PushUps initial test & Wk 1 Day 1

Tuesday: Rest

Wed: 6 mile run + 100 pushUps Wk1D2

Th: 70 min treadmill walk on 10% incline, 3 mph, with arm circles/etc to keep HR up to aerobic zone

Fri: 75 min hill walk with a friend

Sat: 10k (6.2 mile) speed work run + 100 PushUps Wk1Day3